hibu

There are newer employer reviews for hibu

QA

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - QA Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at hibu as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

really relax here as the all the people in the team are Chinese.

Cons

I need to learn all the things by myself. Almost no training at all.

584 Other Employee Reviews for hibu (View Most Recent)

An old-school company that could only hope to spar with the big boys because of their short-term thinking.

Former Employee - Copywriter, Copyeditor, Administrative  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Copywriter, Copyeditor, Administrative in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I respect the fact that the print directory company formerly known as "Yell" (or "Yellowbook" here in the US) has at least made an attempt to join the rest of the world in the 21st century by making a point of turning to new online media instead of resting on its (waning) laurels in print directories. Very relaxed atmosphere that helps employees and customers feel welcome when they step into the offices - feels very Facebook-ish in that employees could wear jeans and polos on most days. Flexible with scheduling is always a plus, and the vast majority of other employees are friendly and welcoming. If this company lands on its feet, I believe that it's possible that this could be a fantastic place to work - there WERE great career opportunities and benefits before the downsizing (I'm not sure of that landscape anymore).

Cons

(In my opinion) While I get that growing pains associated with any company making the transition to online services is going to result in turbulence, the fact that, as a former employee, I never felt secure in my job is scary. Communication between employees and management is KEY if you want productivity and morale to stay high, and the communication that was provided was simply a façade for the much deep-rooted issues associated with this company. Essentially telling us that everything will be alright when really, it wasn't. What I found to be a willingness to advance to online services (which have good place in the modern world) was matched with a questionable fear to let go of the print directories that made Yellowbook and Yell so successful in the pass. I can't tell you how many times the CEO said that "print directories are what keep the lights on" during the final staff meeting I attended. He's not wrong - that's still a major part of their business, but it's not good to hear a transitioning company in financial trouble not going "all-in" on something that could guarantee long-term success, and from what I read after I was laid-off, they're continuing to focus on their traditional print directories that made them famous. The recent layoffs in this company included me (and I'm not writing this as some angry ex-employee looking for vengeance, I just wanted you to get some context) along with many, many other smart and talented individuals. It's unfortunate that they expect employees to get behind the idea 100% that website sales/building (which is their future if they want it), but they're desperately hanging onto a shrinking market of print directories. Their products and services are fine and offer good value compared to competition, but their delivery and apparent lack of desire to market them are frustrating. Now, I know that cuts had to be made for this company's long-term survival, so I have no qualms with getting laid-off (that's business), but I do have problems with them shipping several jobs overseas to the Philippines as a result (and yes, that did happen). I do hope for the best for this company because I know that there are some good people there and that they've taken strides to get better, but I just can't imagine that a company that's still hanging on to a failing legacy product as desperately as they are is going to make it in the world of media giants like Google.

To the highest management (CEO and others): Think long-term. Your mid-management people are smart, friendly and overall great assets. Be all-in with your transition to new products or face extended growing pains that may sink your company completely. Print directories are fine to pay the bills for the time being, but don't try to expand your company before making sure that everyone is on board with the necessary transition to the future business. It's okay to focus on what made your companies famous and formerly profitable, but don't let it hold you back like it is now.

Completely chaotic higher management, no vision, no accountability

I worked at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really cannot think of any.

Cons

They recently moved to Agile in the Engineering disciplines but with the exception of the DBU they have no idea what they are doing. Higher management (directors/VPs) are generally clueless and either don't have a vision or what vision they may have they are not willing to stand behind. A lot of the company's engineering is focused in Operations and they couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag. Very poor program management discipline on that side of the company and pseudo-waterfall Agile. 50+ people on morning "scrum" calls where only the doers talk - which means that 45 people listen for an hour while 5 people try to solve problems in real time. Insane. This company is quickly spiraling down. Get out now.

Fire all the senior engineering management outside the DBU. Fire most of the Product Management team IN the DBU. Consolidate all your engineering in one physical location if you're going to do scrum. Let the DBU take the lead and fire most of Ops engineering or move them into the DBU.

There are newer employer reviews for hibu

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!