hibu
www.corporate.hibu.com Reading, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Yellowbook embraces its business more than its employees

King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at hibu

ProsYellowbook's tradition has been and still is in print advertising, but, in the past couple of years, the company has been and is working to rapidly grow its online presence. (Its recognition of the importance of "New Media" to remaining competitive in the now-Digital Age is evidenced by its recent brand update from "Yellow Book USA" to "Yellowbook" and associated campaign.) Sometimes work spaces can get noisy from interpersonal and phone meetings and discussions, but overhearing conversations can be a way to learn about what's going on in other groups.

The King of Prussia office is quite small and lacks many of the "creature comforts" that the large, Cedar Rapids location has, but there is plenty of (and a wide variety of) free individual-serving coffees, teas, and cocoa. There are also water coolers throughout the building. Around the corporate center/adjacent neighborhood are decent places to take a walk at lunchtime.

ConsThe King of Prussia (KOP) office (scattered among several buildings) is quite small and lacks many of the "creature comforts" that the large, Cedar Rapids location has. The KOP location does not have a cafeteria, gym, or even locker room. Due to the corporate center's location, lunchtime choices are quite limited or require driving at least a few miles, and either option tends to be somewhat pricey, so most people bring their own lunch. Although well stocked for making coffee or tea, the office does not provide spoons or forks. Parking is free, but some lots get overcrowded. Inside, there doesn't seem to be enough conference rooms, so it's often a challenge to find and schedule space to hold meetings.

Also, since KOP is a smaller office, there tend to be far fewer Employee Activites and Events than at Cedar Rapids, but it also feels like there are just very few at all at KOP. When a company provides or sponsors activities that helps its employees with work/life and well-being matters (or sometimes treats them to some fun) and those in managerial roles are open approachable, it helps the employees feel more balanced, satisfied, and encouraged that the company is assisting them. This has felt largely absent at Yellowbook (at least at the KOP office), leaving its employees to struggle on their own with their issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to employees; taking even a few minutes to open a dialogue can bring to your attention ideas, insights, issues, and honest feedback. Once employees know that your lines of communication with them are open, they will be more likely to come to you with their valuable information and opinions. Demonstrate that you can be approached, that you listen to what they have to say without being dismissive, and that you are willing to help employees find solutions to issues (including work-life issues) that they face. This will improve employees' confidence, satisfaction, and general well-being, in turn maintaining or even increasing their productivity, which helps the company and everyone a part of it.

Hold on loosely, but dont let go

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Bowie, MD

I have been working at hibu

Pros: great benefits. fun to work with customers. fast paced. unlimited… Cons: local managers sometimes waste reps time doing things that look good on paper but in reality are demotivating, demoralizing and costly in terms of valuable… Advice to Senior Management: Train the mangers to not micro manage and your turnover would reduce significantly. Many great reps have left due to this. If you need to… More

The worst job I've ever had

Richmond, VA

I have been working at hibu

Pros: The benefits are good. Oh, and I've made some good friends because we feel like we're in the war zone and of course you'll bond… Cons: They are always screwing with the pay plan (cut the base by 40% weeks after my hire date); we are micro-managed to the nth degree;… Advice to Senior Management: If you really believe 95% of your sales force is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on hibu.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!

hibu – Why Work for Us?

We employ more than 12,000 people across the UK, US, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, India and the Philippines. Our global operating structure is organised around global business units, local geographies and shared… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hibu reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hibu CEO David Eckert. All reviews posted anonymously by hibu employees.