hibu

corporate.hibu.com

Yellowbook embraces its business more than its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  King of Prussia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

Yellowbook's tradition has been and still is in print advertising, but, in the past couple of years, the company has been and is working to rapidly grow its online presence. (Its recognition of the importance of "New Media" to remaining competitive in the now-Digital Age is evidenced by its recent brand update from "Yellow Book USA" to "Yellowbook" and associated campaign.) Sometimes work spaces can get noisy from interpersonal and phone meetings and discussions, but overhearing conversations can be a way to learn about what's going on in other groups.

The King of Prussia office is quite small and lacks many of the "creature comforts" that the large, Cedar Rapids location has, but there is plenty of (and a wide variety of) free individual-serving coffees, teas, and cocoa. There are also water coolers throughout the building. Around the corporate center/adjacent neighborhood are decent places to take a walk at lunchtime.

Cons

The King of Prussia (KOP) office (scattered among several buildings) is quite small and lacks many of the "creature comforts" that the large, Cedar Rapids location has. The KOP location does not have a cafeteria, gym, or even locker room. Due to the corporate center's location, lunchtime choices are quite limited or require driving at least a few miles, and either option tends to be somewhat pricey, so most people bring their own lunch. Although well stocked for making coffee or tea, the office does not provide spoons or forks. Parking is free, but some lots get overcrowded. Inside, there doesn't seem to be enough conference rooms, so it's often a challenge to find and schedule space to hold meetings.

Also, since KOP is a smaller office, there tend to be far fewer Employee Activites and Events than at Cedar Rapids, but it also feels like there are just very few at all at KOP. When a company provides or sponsors activities that helps its employees with work/life and well-being matters (or sometimes treats them to some fun) and those in managerial roles are open approachable, it helps the employees feel more balanced, satisfied, and encouraged that the company is assisting them. This has felt largely absent at Yellowbook (at least at the KOP office), leaving its employees to struggle on their own with their issues.

Reach out to employees; taking even a few minutes to open a dialogue can bring to your attention ideas, insights, issues, and honest feedback. Once employees know that your lines of communication with them are open, they will be more likely to come to you with their valuable information and opinions. Demonstrate that you can be approached, that you listen to what they have to say without being dismissive, and that you are willing to help employees find solutions to issues (including work-life issues) that they face. This will improve employees' confidence, satisfaction, and general well-being, in turn maintaining or even increasing their productivity, which helps the company and everyone a part of it.

Other reviews for hibu

Hold on loosely, but dont let go

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bowie, MD

Pros

great benefits. fun to work with customers. fast paced. unlimited income potential for self-motivated people.

Cons

local managers sometimes waste reps time doing things that look good on paper but in reality are demotivating, demoralizing and costly in terms of valuable selling time (i think they forget (or dont care) that we work on commission). when things dont go as well as upper management expects, usually due to local mgrs poorly thought out plan, they do stuff like Call Night (unproductive! i dont need to come into the office to cold call along with 20 other reps from 4:30-5:30 c'mon, its 5pm i'm tired...i've been selling all day, and now I get to sit in rush hour traffic and get home even later and then do my paperwork for the day...can you say monster.com) Or come in at the end of the day to discuss collections with your manager...come in???? cant we call in during our drive time...hello, i'm not 13!!!!!!!!!!!

Train the mangers to not micro manage and your turnover would reduce significantly. Many great reps have left due to this. If you need to babysit a rep, they are probably in the wrong job or need assistance. Dont wait till its too late and then start documenting what you are doing to manage them out. Tightening the reigns with senseless, non-productive activities destroys job joy and hurts work life balance.

The worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

The benefits are good. Oh, and I've made some good friends because we feel like we're in the war zone and of course you'll bond with people when everyone is so stressed and overworked. Otherwise, there is nothing. This position is so far from what I was told when interviewing. The training process was very intensive but thorough -- it was also completely unrealistic. They should have just taught us the copy codes, etc. and said, "You will get beaten up by your customers every day. No one likes this product. You'll be lucky to renew 50% of your accounts."

Cons

They are always screwing with the pay plan (cut the base by 40% weeks after my hire date); we are micro-managed to the nth degree; we're constantly being taken out of our territories for stupid meetings that run far too long; the customers and general public don't think much of the company; we are collectors in addition to sales reps or our commissions will be taken back. They talk a lot about integrity but the way to succeed is to be a fast talking swindler who gladly stabs other reps in the back to get the precious new business.

If you really believe 95% of your sales force is expendable, why hire them in the first place?

There are newer employer reviews for hibu.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!