Cool place to work

Current Employee - Shop Assistant
Current Employee - Shop Assistant

Pros

I get to know about all the latest news in music and movies and they let me be creative with my appearance good place to work and grow as an employee.

Cons

Sometimes the work is a bit dull and the customers can be difficult to deal with. Long shifts around Xmas time and Easter.

Advice to Management

More training opportunities in store and bonuses for good employees. I would like to work my way up to the top so Id appreciate if there was the possibility to do so.

Other Employee Reviews for hmv

1. Good job, crazy hours

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good Benefits Good discounts Opportunity for advancement Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment Get to sell great music to the masses

Cons

Long hours Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

Advice to Management

I am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

2. It's a job

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Pros

It's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

Cons

Minimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.