There are newer employer reviews for hopTo

Good work, good pay, good people.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Campbell, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at hopTo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll give these three, concrete things: 1) I've never just been told to do something. My assignments have all come in the form of "Would you enjoy working on X? Is that something you think you'd be good at?" 2) No egos, no unnecessary structures, and everyone in the office is happy. 3) Public company. Unlike most start-ups, the financials are open, and you can see how the stock is doing for yourself. It's a great place to work, to be honest.

Cons

I really don't have any yet. That may change at some point, of course, but for now I'm getting paid a reasonable amount, working with smart people, and my ideas are taken seriously. It's nice.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Small company always looking to catch up. Forever a start-up.

I worked at hopTo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits for the company size. Flexible work / life balance. Small group of dedicated people and a few lifers.

Cons

Financials supports two companies (Graphon and hopTo). Virtually all $ comes from Graphon and not hopTo. Company has lost many dedicated employees due to poor management. Way too much engineering focus and not enough business focus. Always re-inventing the wheel.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as an asset and invest in them. Listen to your customers and partners!

2. Interesting start-up environment in a publicly-held company

Former Employee - Administrative in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Campbell, CA

I worked at hopTo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues are friendly, familial culture, bi-weekly office lunches, management strives to create a team-oriented environment, publicly-held and everyone gets restricted stock as part of compensation package, competitive salaries, new and attractive offices, great location near many restaurants and shops, easy on/off highways, ample free parking, 4 weeks PTO from day one, health/medical fully paid for by company, the new product can be very disruptive upon release

Cons

difficult to raise enough cash to fully implement strategic vision, reporting requirements of being publicly-held creates unnecessary administrative challenges for a company in start-up mode, a lot of high-level turnover recently in management and board

Advice to Management

Stabilize the cash/funding situation, stabilize the management team and board, keep focused on the new product and ensure it gets released in 2014