iRobot

www.irobot.com
  www.irobot.com
There are newer employer reviews for iRobot

Brilliant people, fun work, interesting technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

The engineers are very smart and a pleasure to work with. Unlike most places I have worked, at iRobot I find myself surrounded by intelligent people who want to do a good job. Slackers don't fit in but creative experts will feel right at home. The work is actually fun. Really! No joke!

Cons

Scope of government funding and careful safe guarding of company money often prevents development of higher risk/higher reward technologies. Middle management can dither and waste time that could be better spent doing actual work. Too many managers managing too few engineers in some projects.

Your engineers are smart, your leadership has decent vision, but you need to slim the middleman and let your people spend the money advancing the product instead of analyzing until they only have the time for a quick fix.

69 Other Employee Reviews for iRobot (View Most Recent)

iRobot is cooler than not cool.

Current Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

If you like robots, there's lots of robots. The robot people are really experts. I don't know many jerks, even in management. Lots of flexibility in changing jobs or circumstances. Loyalty to the company is valued. Employees and management like to have fun. There is no excessively poor grammar.

Cons

One side is a baby defense contractor with more overhead than it can carry, lots of politics, and that isn't getting ready to go where military robots are going. The other side is a baby electronics company whose worst enemy is itself and waiting for the hammer to fall from real electronics companies.

Stop hiring generic middle and senior managers from also-ran local companies and the government and putting them in charge of robot geniuses. Both businesses are driven by great engineers but generally "led" by people that are obviously not.

The best place to learn

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Mysore (India)
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Mysore (India)

I worked at iRobot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good team, access to latest technology, awesome robots

Cons

The company should have retained this office

-None-