nice place for a geek

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

loose structure and casual environment, exposure to high tech. Really a good place if you work in their government contract department

Cons

structure too loose. very vague responsibility in their home department, very ineffective communication and very behind in implementing enterprise-level applicatioin.

Advice to Management

invest in long-term solution instead of focusing on short-term unsustainable fixes. invest in long term relationship with quality OEM vendors

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great potential, needs vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

We do build cool stuff. The people here are great to work with, and we get a nice amount of paid time off.

Cons

The company seems to have a distressing tendency toward doing the absolute minimum necessary to accomplish its immediate goals, with respect both to its customers and to its employees. They are also pretty bad at communicating internally.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive about fixing problems and making improvements - don't wait until it becomes a crisis. Talk with your underlings about what's going on - if we hear about what the company is doing, or what's going wrong, by reading the news (or press releases), something is wrong.

2. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

I learned quite a bit in areas that I wasn't too familiar with earlier, got to work with some very interesting and smart people, and interacted with upper management on a fairly regular basis. Very interesting time, had a lot of fun.

Cons

I have very few complaints, but as an electrical engineering intern there was a lot of weak testing, soldering, wiring, etc. kind of work early on. The amount of that kind of work went down over the course of the summer however.

Advice to Management

Continue to act like a small company even as things get much larger. Even though it's unfeasible for everybody in the company to know everyone else, people up to even the vice president level should get to meet everyone working below them.