id Software

www.idsoftware.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for id Software

Great place to learn

I have been working at id Software

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow but no clear path for advancement. Always working on the cutting edge but design is very lacking.

Cons

Poor managers. Bad design choices. Few advancement opportunities. Very bad work/life prioritization. Zenimax buyout literally wrecked whatever culture there was.

The best think management can do is hire people more competent than themselves. Refocus on design and stop focusing on making cutting edge tech. Make cutting edge games by making cutting edge designs that foster fun games.

18 Other Employee Reviews for id Software (View Most Recent)

Associate Concept Artist

Current Employee - Associate Concept Artist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Concept Artist in Plano, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Keeping this short for now, but Its been a blast to work here. We have a new team that is incredibly talented and motivated. Openness to ideas is surprisingly good too. I think we are well on our way to becoming something absolutely awesome.

Cons

With the new team, there are some growing pains. Finding the processes and becoming an efficient team took some time and determination. Now, I would say we are solidifying those bonds and its really working out great!

Glory Days Fading

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at id Software full-time

Pros

I had a chance to work with the fathers of FPS. I got to work using idTech and made some friends.

Cons

They lack creativity, vision, and any no clear goals or guidance. The lack of communication is a constant problem, coupled with vague directions, if any at all. The whole environment was like putting together a stage show, and never rehearsing the play before show time and expecting it all just come together. The amount of backstabbing and position jockeying still goes on to this day. The game still keeps changing and changing and no clear focus on a direction. The Rage game being led by people whom do not play games, and more concerned about latest iPhone apps than making a game. This type of lackadaisical attitudes is why people leave, why people do not recommend working here. Take all the positive posts here lately with a grain of salt. I suggest finding out more about the company from former workers and take all the information into account before signing on.

Leave, majority of the problems is the management entrenched there. There is clear lack of creativity coming from management. You can add all the fancy types of meetings styles you want, but if you have no clear direction all the meetings wont matter. There is clearly a lack of vision for the games. We can keep hiring all the newbs right out of school because pros wont come and work here, if they do they are miss informed, or have no other opportunities.
    Below I disapprove of the CEO, take some initiative and remove the problems from above and save the company if you cared so much for buying it.

There are newer employer reviews for id Software