id Software

www.idsoftware.com

There is a lot that needs fixing at id Software.

Developer (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsDoom, Quake, Wolfenstein. I got into the game industry because of these games, and the amazing talent that created them. I came to id software because I wanted to learn from these developers. The pay is pretty decent, and they used to give bonuses before the current management issues.

ConsNone of the amazing talent that created id's iconic games are left - they've all fled the current management team. There are a few issues id software needs to work on to turn things around:

The lack of professionalism: Expect lots of inappropriate jokes, comments and a generally unprofessional work environment. Our HR director quit recently over the many internal issues.

The lack of opportunities: The Management has openly stated in team meetings that when they are looking to give raises and promotions, they care more about how they get along with the prospect, rather than skill, experience, or previous work done.

The hiring practices: They've turned away good candidates in all departments because the leads have expressed a desire to hire only students or people they've worked with before.

The broken technology: The entire tech team at id software has quit and moved to Occulus - they all left this past February all together on the same day to protest the managements treatment of people.

The non-stop attrition: When all of the teams merged together to create the "new" Doom team 2 years ago, there was around 140+ developers to make the game. Now, there is only around 50. The non-stop attrition has gotten so bad, that they had to contract outside the company for the multiplayer portion of the game, and we have contractors doing a bulk of our art work.

The non-stop reboots and changes of direction: Every 4 months or so, they tell us that the current direction is all wrong for doom, and will re-boot most, if not all, of the game. This means that for over 2 years of work, there is no game to show, beyond 1 or 2 blockout levels and numerous prototypes.

The non-stop spin doctoring: Instead of meeting the issues head on and working for positive change, the people at id are awash in spin doctoring by the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is at a crossroads. The last two years have been generally bad for this company, and has cost id software much in the eyes of the industry. If you want to turn this around, you need to make a positive change. Encourage the bright, capable developers who actually produce, and stop playing politics. It shouldn't be about who is your friend and who isn't, id software needs everyone to work together as a team! These sort of games might have worked at the old id software, but this is not how you run a successful AAA studio today. Zenimax needs to step in and take over the management to ensure these changes are met.

Sinking ship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The history of the company and the possibility of working on the next big thing is a powerful draw. The pay is reasonable, and there… Cons: The upper management. Hands down they are the most incompetant, arrogant, and untrustworthy managers I've ever worked for in over ten years in this… Advice to Senior Management: Zenimax needs to step in and take a hard look at the people they have running the studio. We need drastic changes and real leadership… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

State of change

Level Designer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very creative individuals, awesome vision, and the technology (both software and… Cons: The studio has had quite a lot of growing pains expanding from a one team studio to a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on id Software.

Worked for id Software? Contribute to the Community!