id Software

www.idsoftware.com
  www.idsoftware.com
There are newer employer reviews for id Software

There is a lot that needs fixing at id Software.

Former Employee - Developer in Richardson, TX
Former Employee - Developer in Richardson, TX

I worked at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein. I got into the game industry because of these games, and the amazing talent that created them. I came to id software because I wanted to learn from these developers. The pay is pretty decent, and they used to give bonuses before the current management issues.

Cons

None of the amazing talent that created id's iconic games are left - they've all fled the current management team. There are a few issues id software needs to work on to turn things around:

The lack of professionalism: Expect lots of inappropriate jokes, comments and a generally unprofessional work environment. Our HR director quit recently over the many internal issues.

The lack of opportunities: The Management has openly stated in team meetings that when they are looking to give raises and promotions, they care more about how they get along with the prospect, rather than skill, experience, or previous work done.

The hiring practices: They've turned away good candidates in all departments because the leads have expressed a desire to hire only students or people they've worked with before.

The broken technology: The entire tech team at id software has quit and moved to Occulus - they all left this past February all together on the same day to protest the managements treatment of people.

The non-stop attrition: When all of the teams merged together to create the "new" Doom team 2 years ago, there was around 140+ developers to make the game. Now, there is only around 50. The non-stop attrition has gotten so bad, that they had to contract outside the company for the multiplayer portion of the game, and we have contractors doing a bulk of our art work.

The non-stop reboots and changes of direction: Every 4 months or so, they tell us that the current direction is all wrong for doom, and will re-boot most, if not all, of the game. This means that for over 2 years of work, there is no game to show, beyond 1 or 2 blockout levels and numerous prototypes.

The non-stop spin doctoring: Instead of meeting the issues head on and working for positive change, the people at id are awash in spin doctoring by the management.

This company is at a crossroads. The last two years have been generally bad for this company, and has cost id software much in the eyes of the industry. If you want to turn this around, you need to make a positive change. Encourage the bright, capable developers who actually produce, and stop playing politics. It shouldn't be about who is your friend and who isn't, id software needs everyone to work together as a team! These sort of games might have worked at the old id software, but this is not how you run a successful AAA studio today. Zenimax needs to step in and take over the management to ensure these changes are met.

17 Other Employee Reviews for id Software (View Most Recent)

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The history of the company and the possibility of working on the next big thing is a powerful draw. The pay is reasonable, and there are still some really good people here trying to make the best of the situation. If you're a strong, self-motivated individual, you'll get a chance to learn a lot and grow more than you would at other companies.

Cons

The upper management. Hands down they are the most incompetant, arrogant, and untrustworthy managers I've ever worked for in over ten years in this industry. They are doing such a horrible job that we've lost over a hundred people, including John Carmack, in the last two years. They're bleeding the company dry of time, money, and talent; before they all bail with their golden parachutes. Zenimax is a patient, supportive publisher that takes a hands off approach, which normally would be great, but in this case is allowing the management to waste their time and money. People sit around untasked for weeks or months at a time, until the next publisher demo, so there is lots of time for people to sit around and be nasty to each or play politics to grab whatever favor they can. There is no chance for advancement or career growth, and Zenimax has stopped giving bonuses because the studio consistently fails to deliver. The game itself is re-invented every six months to a year, so there is no foward progress to show for the last two years.

Zenimax needs to step in and take a hard look at the people they have running the studio. We need drastic changes and real leadership if id software is going to survive into the next generation. To their credit, Zenimax recently installed a corporate "spy" to report to the board about what's going on, but we need real action to confront the challenges we face as a company.

Work with some of the best in the industry

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easily the best place if you're a proactive employee. Being proactive can be rewarding and it's highly encouraged, including working with the latest technology and pushing forward toolsets.

Cons

A lot of ego and jaded developers. A large number of employees who feel entitled to be included on every decision and actively bash the company and it's leadership every moment they can get. It makes for a hostile and unenjoyable work environment for the employees who actively want to contribute and make things better.

Cut losses and bring in new, fresh talent. The only way to rebirth id is to keep the employees who care to make a difference and bring in a new generation of game developers.

There are newer employer reviews for id Software