ipsy

www.ipsy.com
There are newer employer reviews for ipsy

Fun Tech / Beauty Hybrid Startup that is Growing Like a Weed

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caveat: I have LOVED my time here. It's a fun, smart, ambitious group and the company is growing like a weed and pioneering the beauty space. Not sure if we are a tech firm or a beauty firm or both, but it's awesome. Here's some of the things that makes me love it:

There is a laid-back vibe, which comes from the top down. You can dress up or wear whatever you like and no one is going to judge you. And there's lots of joking around around here.

The leadership team in particular is very approachable and will have "real" conversations with you. They don't BS. And many of them have a ton of industry or startup experience. They know what they're doing (or are very good at coming up with it along the way), which is evidenced by how well the company is doing.

The business is doing very well, which is always a good thing and kinda rare our here in startup land.

If you love beauty and makeup, you get to live and breath it.

Our community is OBSESSED and gives us great feedback. And we listen and react.

I truly think we are working on some very innovative things in the beauty world and with marketing and social media.

Our benefits are pretty good, especially with regard to transportation reimbursement, and snacks and drinks, and (just recently) an awesome vacation policy that gets better and better the longer you are here.

They've given me a chance to do some things professionally that I've never done before. And because so many of us have SOs or kids, there is a lot of flexibility like working from home or flexible starts or ends to the day.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic at times since we are growing so fast and pioneering in this space. Things change at the last minute, often for the better, but you have to be willing to adapt or you might not be happy.

We were getting very crowded at the headquarters, too, but we just got more space so it's much better now.

Given that we have to ship bags around the same time every single month, and there's marketing related to it all, there are very real deadlines which can cause a bit of stress each month.

I've been at a couple other fast growing companies. It is tough to maintain a small company vibe while adding a ton of employees. That is going to be your biggest challenge! Don't become a huge corporation, please?

The Bay Area keeps getting more and more expensive. Maybe it's time for a big cost of living adjustment? Also, more cool benefits would always be nice. I mean, we don't need massages every day but more perks could be a nice surprise. Including eventually a matching for our 401K.

Finally, let's open a Europe office already :) I know many of us would be willing to help out.

8 Other Employee Reviews for ipsy (View Most Recent)

Great start-up with potential limited by leadership team

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rapid growth in subscriber base recently, especially compared to when I started
    Brands seem to be very happy with the experience of working with ipsy as they return a lot
    Frequent giveaways of beauty products and free ipsy subscription (which is only good if you use beauty products tho)
    Potential in LA with new studio opening
    Partnerships with YouTube stylists makes ipsy very different from other subscription services like birchbox

Cons

Laid back culture ipsy tries to give off by "not having titles" and letting people wear sandals to work is in direct opposition to actual policies which are inflexible & old-fashionedl.

Employees are yelled at in front of the whole company in the middle of the day.

Leadership team has limited start-up experience, strong tendency to micromanage and lacks an openmind. VERY reactionary.

Strict vacation policy.. More time off given to employees who have been here longer so even if you have 10+ years of experience as an engineer be prepared for only a very limited amount of time off while an engineer who started with ipsy as his first job will be enjoying a full month or so

No HR team

Very small Markting Team whose main focus seems to be more project management than marketing strategy

Job postings put up for several months to a year, often never contacting any applicants at all

Questionable prioritization. Like the CEO contributes to how the ipsy Facebook page should be managed, though the website experience is dismal at best and limited support is given to dev team.

Encourage cross-functional teams. Empower decision-making. Update management strategies to keep up with the rest of the Bay area. Stop yelling at people in public. It sucks.

Incredibly Passionate Company with Amazing Growth

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here seems to have a passion for what they're doing and for being part of the team. It makes for a really great environment, which is pretty laid-back and casual all around. Everything ipsy does is done with the mission statement in mind, sticking to really great core values. There's a huge interest in promoting from within. Since the company is growing rapidly there are a lot of opportunities for that, but you need to work hard to get there. The leadership is also very open and communicative so there's a lot to learn from them. Team managers give a lot of great feedback and are open to ideas. There's definitely a big focus on innovation and providing the best experience possible for customers. We really listen to their feedback and try to implement changes based on that. Recognition is often given for employees who are doing a great job.

Cons

Being underpaid for the amount of hard work put in is definitely a huge con, especially for a profitable company located in the Bay Area. There are stock options and a 401(k), but ipsy doesn't currently offer any matching either. The company has a lot of great big ideas, however there are still many processes and programs that need more attention/development. These can sometimes get neglected in order to move on to the next big project.

Continue to be really considerate when hiring, growing quickly isn't worth hiring someone who isn't a good fit and make the salary more appealing to actually keep up with living wages in the area. It would be great to get a discount on flash sales or 2 free subscriptions as a perk instead of 1 since I know a few employees actually pay for a second subscription to send to friends, siblings, or parents.

There are newer employer reviews for ipsy