Best Place I could have ever hoped to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company is great. It is one of the best places to work in Chicago. It's got a small company feel. You can go into the CEO's office and have a normal conversation about anything without worry. Everyone is open and relaxed but hard working as well. This company also provides everyone with the tools they need to do their jobs. Devs have brand new 12 core machines with 32GB of RAM and 30 inch monitors. Everyone gets an iPad when they start. There's also fruit deliveries twice a week, happy hour every month and an atmosphere that is fun and enjoyable. You also get 18 days off, including sick days, but what's great is you don't have to use your sick days when you're sick. You can also sell back hours for extra paycheck or move it to the next year. And we get the whole week from Christmas to New Years off!

Cons

You are required to work 9 hour days with an hour lunch in between. It's not very flexible with hours. The work itself isn't the most exciting, it is litigation software after all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Maybe think about implementing flex-hours??

Other Employee Reviews for kCura

Micromanages the wrong problems

Former Employee - Other in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Other in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Startup culture, fun perks like happy hours and parties, people like to work hard/play hard

Cons

Difficulty managing company now that it's growing, micromanages the wrong problems, soviet-like office decals promoting company values, but then not practice what's preached when it matters

Advice to Management

Bring in expert who can help company change and reach new phase in lifecycle

Smart people building great software

Current Employee - Product Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There are a ton of smart people dedicated to making a great product and delivering a great experience to our users. - Direct, constructive criticism and ideas are welcome at all levels of the organization. - "Managers" who focus on politicking over our product and the success of our users are shown the door. - Excellent sales and strong service teams. - People who prove their worth by doing good work consistently earn respect. - Plenty of room for growth.

Cons

- Long hours are the norm - the work life balance is not great. - Fast growth has led to some poor hiring decisions - We have not found a consistently successful software development methodology.

Advice to Management

Get development in line. Stop trying to do too much - You can do anything you want, but not everything you want. Get rid of the remaining charlatans - we don't need them.