There are newer employer reviews for kCura

Decent place, especially if you're starting out, but not so great for someone with experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Decent benefits, perks, and salary.
-Free iPad.
-3 monitors at work (2x 23" 1080p secondaries, 1x 30" 2560x1600 primary).
-18 days of vacation.
-5 days of vacation can be sold back to the company every year.
-Day after Thanksgiving and week between Christmas and New Years are company holidays.
-Free lunch once a month. Soda/juice/coffee/water always free.
-Business is growing and making money.
-Good company values.
-Good company culture.
-No pressure to attend happy hours, parties, or to donate to x-y-z causes.

Cons

-CEO not willing to have work from home options, EVER.
-Sick days come out of your 18 days of vacation.
-No work / life balance, especially if you commute from the suburbs.
-Lots of young, inexperienced employees.
-Annoying QA manager that consumes peoples' work hours.
-No real career paths.
-You won't really learn much if you already have several years of experience; not much to put on resume.

-Embrace change and ideas from everyone, don't just fire them because they don't meet your wishes.
-Empower the managers so their direct reports have more freedom.
-Allow work-from-home options!!!!

reviews filtered by

Don't Work Here.

I worked at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy free note pads, 3 computer monitors, and resemble a doormat who enjoys being walked on - this is the company for you.

Cons

I guess one of the biggest challenges I faced while at kCura was the level of incompetent individuals that I worked with. This company does a great job for never giving credit to those who deserve it. For some reason, you may work months, even years at this company to earn your credibility and respect - and persist to be a 'nobody.' The reason being, there are people in management who coyly take all credit of other's work without an ounce of hesitation.

I was never valued for my work. I am a recent graduate looking to work hard - really hard. However, being young - I was never looked at as a highly educated information systems major, but merely someone who was dished the work that no one wanted to do; the meaningless, tireless, value-less work that contributes nothing to a team. If you are someone who has recently graduated, I highly encourage you to look elsewhere.

The last bit I'll mention was the prevalence of nepotism. Those who thrive are those who are old time 'buddies' of management. Half of the management team never finished college and are entirely unqualified for their positions. They make some decisions based entirely on heated emotion and on a whim. What makes it more frustrating, is that some of these impulsive decisions cost employees their jobs and they'll never think twice on it.

I never knew it was possible to enjoy your job until I left kCura.

Arrogance will run your company to the ground. Take value in every individual who comes to work for you, learn their strengths to better utilize and optimize the time they are with you. Put some value into work/life balance and intelligence rather than allowing managers to play Foosball for hours in the cafe.

My biggest bit of advice: some of us are recent grads, but we're willing to work and learn as hard as anybody. Don't treat us like interns. It's demoralizing.

Great place to work and have fun

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great dev computers, 3 monitors, lots of VMs, fruit delivered twice a week, free iPads, free soda and drinks, happy hours once a month(free alcohol), ping pong and foosball in the cafe and great social people.

I truly enjoy working here, the people are great, you are expected to work hard and do a great job but they support you and you can work fairly flexible hours. I think the management is going in the right direction and they listen to alternate ideas and criticism but like any job, if you argue with them and tell them no, you are going to lose your job. We like working with only the best of the best in order to get our jobs done.

This is definitely a work hard and party hard environment which supports and encourages being social well adjusted people. Though you work hard, its a very laid back company and atmosphere. Happy hours or after party long after work has ended are a lot of fun and can get pretty crazy but what happens outside of work does not influence perceptions during work. There is a real separation between work and personal life.

Cons

Sometimes you really have to work hard, stay late in order to meet deadlines; a lot is expected of us.

Turn over is fairly high, you are either right for the company or not and won't be here long.

Social interactions are encouraged so if you cannot handle that, this might not be the right place for you.

Keep doing what you are doing, I have no problems so far

There are newer employer reviews for kCura