There are newer employer reviews for kCura

A great place to work, fun, and challenging

Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

Great people, great pay, good work environment, great benefits. The products have incredible potential to help make the world a better place. I think some of the bad reviews are unfounded, as a lot of new employees are straight out of college, and have no reference for comparison. Believe me, I have worked at some horrible places in the past, and this isn't one of them.

Cons

Things sometimes change at the drop of a hat. Sometimes the environment is not necessarily geared toward employees who are married, or commute a long distance, but that has gotten better. They need a longer term vision for the product than just the current release. If developers knew what the plans are for the product from 6 to 24 months out, it would help them plan and design accordingly, and possibly make future development faster. Also, with so many young developers, you need more time for testing, as sometimes a lot of bugs get introduced.

Share long term detailed product plans with the developers. Do more up-front design and workflow specifications by PM - they should be planning the next release while the current release is being built. And make better use of your senior engineers, they have a lot of experience that sometimes goes to waste. The agile process is good, but needs a few adaptations to really make it work here.

reviews filtered by

Tricky company with a high rate of turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The people I worked with were fun and smart individuals.
    -The compensation and benefits were good.
    -It was easy to get hired here (I should not have over looked that red flag)

Cons

The hiring practices are messed up. They bring you in, offer you good salary, and tell you how great the company is and all of the things they believe in. Don't fall for any of it.

They are dishonest in the job descriptions, during the interview and in your employment contract. They are not upfront with you about what they expect from you. Make sure you ask about on-boarding processes and ask about the exam they will make you take (Which when you study for it you will find some of the materials to be outdated and sometimes you can't find a correct answer).

The office is run like a frat house when it comes to the politics and if you don't drink the office koolaid you will get the boot or be made to feel like an outcast. It's a very cliquy environment and they don't actually care about the people who work there. The person who trained me and got me acclimated was fired two months after I was brought on. They were one of the few people who cared about me, who cared about their work and the success of the company as a whole. The day this person was fired I just happened to be on my way to the bathroom which is right by the elevators. I saw this person and they said they was leaving because they were let go. I was shocked and they asked why. I told this person that no one told me anything. They in turn looked shocked and said that they were told our team had already been notified. This person had been lied to on their last day and my team was not told about this person's departure until much later in the day. After their departure I was put under someone else who didn't even care about my success or contribution to the company. The company sends out this news letter to everyone's email every week or so and every week or so there are people who have left or gotten fired. There is a very high rate of turnover and for a good reason!

I hate putting them on my resume.

Get your act together and fix your hiring practices. You are throwing away money. However, I am sure this piece of advice won't be taken into consideration because nothing is even their fault.....

Lots of High Rhetoric But Little Results

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of talented people and if you can work with them it is great. There published core values are wonderful.

Cons

The published core values are not practiced. Management of software development is amateurish at best. Quality assurance is more like quality appearance and turnover is very high for very good reason. The only accountable people are those without a hard-on for power.

Don't bring in people with experience and waste your money by ignoring them.

There are newer employer reviews for kCura