kCura

www.kcura.com

Tricky company with a high rate of turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

-The people I worked with were fun and smart individuals.
-The compensation and benefits were good.
-It was easy to get hired here (I should not have over looked that red flag)

Cons

The hiring practices are messed up. They bring you in, offer you good salary, and tell you how great the company is and all of the things they believe in. Don't fall for any of it.

They are dishonest in the job descriptions, during the interview and in your employment contract. They are not upfront with you about what they expect from you. Make sure you ask about on-boarding processes and ask about the exam they will make you take (Which when you study for it you will find some of the materials to be outdated and sometimes you can't find a correct answer).

The office is run like a frat house when it comes to the politics and if you don't drink the office koolaid you will get the boot or be made to feel like an outcast. It's a very cliquy environment and they don't actually care about the people who work there. The person who trained me and got me acclimated was fired two months after I was brought on. They were one of the few people who cared about me, who cared about their work and the success of the company as a whole. The day this person was fired I just happened to be on my way to the bathroom which is right by the elevators. I saw this person and they said they was leaving because they were let go. I was shocked and they asked why. I told this person that no one told me anything. They in turn looked shocked and said that they were told our team had already been notified. This person had been lied to on their last day and my team was not told about this person's departure until much later in the day. After their departure I was put under someone else who didn't even care about my success or contribution to the company. The company sends out this news letter to everyone's email every week or so and every week or so there are people who have left or gotten fired. There is a very high rate of turnover and for a good reason!

I hate putting them on my resume.

Get your act together and fix your hiring practices. You are throwing away money. However, I am sure this piece of advice won't be taken into consideration because nothing is even their fault.....

Other reviews for kCura

This is a special place to work, if you want it to be

Pros

More than anything, kCura is an amazing place filled with friendly, hard-working individuals. There's a passion here that isn't present at a lot of companies, and it's probably what has led to some of the negative opinions in these reviews. Everyone in this company wants to improve the product and the culture, and it's true that people who don't necessarily "fit in" can feel ostracized for that. It isn't expected that you work 12 hour days, but it certainly is appreciated when you've done it in order to make sure you've delivered something exceptional. People on my team are often out the door at 5 PM on the dot, but it doesn't matter because they've done amazing work while they're at the office. There's an obvious difference between someone who's working for the weekend and somebody who's truly passionate about what they do, and it has nothing to do with being "cool" or old friends or what is often perceived as one manager's personal opinion. I feel I have done well during my time with this company, and take a lot of offense to someone suggesting it has to do with anything other than my hard work and dedication to my job.

There are a large number of people fresh out of college or without any significant work experience. It's easy to hear of companies like Google giving their employees unbelievable perks, and expect that anything less is a disappointment, when in reality the perks at kCura are beyond what most companies can offer. If you're professional, hard-working and pleasant to be around, you'll do great here (as you will at any company). If you're not delivering and are a detriment to your team, you're probably going to have a bad time (as you will at any company).

Other comments:

- The compensation is above-average, and the benefits are incredible: at least 18 days PTO, full medical and dental coverage, and a very generous end-of-year bonus, among others

- A new, flexible work arrangement policy is addressing the work-from-home concerns

Cons

Some of the reviews on here are not incorrect in respect to the transparency from management. This is a very fast-growing company with employees that are trying to grow with it. There are often management decisions made that are perfectly reasonable, but poorly communicated, and it has led to a lot of the frustration you see here. Most everyone in the company is mature enough to deal with a tough decision, as long as it is clearly explained. There's nothing worse for morale than leaving the rationale of a decision up to the imagination of those affected by it. That being said, I think this is something being improved on every day, and has made great strides thanks to a fairly new addition in our Chief People Officer.

Also, the career development within the company has been slow to...develop. As a very young company, there are a lot of employees dealing with the struggles of loan debt and the cost of living in Chicago. Since the primary way of earning a significant raise is via a promotion, that's what everybody is striving for. However, most departments offer very little in terms of upward mobility, or have (justifiably) strong criteria for earning a promotion. This results in employees feeling stuck, despite exceeding expectations within the company. The eDiscovery business, particularly in terms of companies using Relativity, is incredibly lucrative. kCura should recognize that they're providing a ton of experience in an industry that has very little of it, and think about what that means for retaining employees. Work should be about more than just money, but there's a point where it's in your best interest to go towards the better offer, and I'm not sure if the company is aware that many people reach that tipping point.

Try to think about the downstream impact of some of your decisions. Whenever you can, try to gather feedback before you decide something that you're not directly responsible for. A quick change in your plan can ultimately mean days or weeks of wasted work for the people who have to deliver it.

Lots of High Rhetoric But Little Results

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

There are a handful of talented people and if you can work with them it is great. There published core values are wonderful.

Cons

The published core values are not practiced. Management of software development is amateurish at best. Quality assurance is more like quality appearance and turnover is very high for very good reason. The only accountable people are those without a hard-on for power.

Don't bring in people with experience and waste your money by ignoring them.

There are newer employer reviews for kCura.

Worked for kCura? Contribute to the Community!