There are newer employer reviews for kCura

Not so great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing really.. one good architect
Descent paid time off (14 days a year if i recall correctly)

Cons

Poor code quality will make your work a living hell
Long hours and ridiculous deadlines
Hire fresh-out-of-college undergrads who don't know how to code properly
No opportunities for personal growth

The code base is so rotten.
It's time to write the software from scratch or you will not last long

reviews filtered by
  1. Chicago needs more tech companies like kCura

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The talent added over the last 18 months, specifically at the mid-to-senior leadership levels, has been very impressive. The buzz in the VC community has been loud for over three years. The flying-under-the-radar company is a refreshing change from the Groupon's of Chicago, with endless self-promotion and drama. And the core product Relativity is becoming THE name in eDiscovery, if it's not already.

If kCura were founded and based in San Francisco, most everyone would have heard of them, and many more would be trying to get hired by them.

Cons

Let me think - casual dress environment, very competitive pay, free benefits for employees, 401k match, pancake breakfasts monthly, free beverages, a week off of work between Christmas and New Year's? Hmmm. Work from home is the only thing I can think of.

I think some people need to give the mid-30's Founder/CEO a break - he's never run a company before and has been learning along the way. You try it some time.

After doubling the ranks of management from 4 to 8 in two years, all of whom have gray hair and the necessary experience to help lead kCura domestically and globally, I'm excited to see what the company does next with this added firepower.

2. A great place to work, fun, and challenging

Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

Great people, great pay, good work environment, great benefits. The products have incredible potential to help make the world a better place. I think some of the bad reviews are unfounded, as a lot of new employees are straight out of college, and have no reference for comparison. Believe me, I have worked at some horrible places in the past, and this isn't one of them.

Cons

Things sometimes change at the drop of a hat. Sometimes the environment is not necessarily geared toward employees who are married, or commute a long distance, but that has gotten better. They need a longer term vision for the product than just the current release. If developers knew what the plans are for the product from 6 to 24 months out, it would help them plan and design accordingly, and possibly make future development faster. Also, with so many young developers, you need more time for testing, as sometimes a lot of bugs get introduced.

Share long term detailed product plans with the developers. Do more up-front design and workflow specifications by PM - they should be planning the next release while the current release is being built. And make better use of your senior engineers, they have a lot of experience that sometimes goes to waste. The agile process is good, but needs a few adaptations to really make it work here.

There are newer employer reviews for kCura