kgb

www.kgb.com

Great when it started, horrible when it was over.

Pros

Work from home.
Great people to work with.
Easy hours.
Much camaraderie.
In the beginning felt like we were a family all working together.
Interesting view of US citizens interests.

Cons

Too little pay for the expectation of completed work - no increase after annual review.
What was expected continually changed and responsibility became greater with no hope for pay increase.
More and more agents became outsourced from Philippines - too much of a culture difference to ever make this work
US employees being laid off and replaced by Filipino employees gave a sinking ship atmosphere.

Acknowledge there are some jobs that can be outsourced - this is not one of them. Too much cultural difference exists that cannot be taught to foreigners. This business is doomed to fail at the rate it is going. The "question answering" business was a great idea, and as records show, started off great. The moment the answers were provided by non Americans problems developed that could not be overcome. Very sad to see how quickly a business could fail from poor decisions.

Other reviews for kgb

pretenting to be a social buying company

Current Employee - Business Development Management  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Management in London, England (UK)

Pros

growth market in a fast paced enviroment
    strong brand
    simple service / product
    great location in the middle of london

Cons

everything is done on a tight budget
    marketing budgets are tiny in comparison
    UK management team are all from Print back ground with very little web experience
    low expense accounts

speculate to accumulate! the low risk strategy will be to slow in this market

if you're desperate...

Current Employee - Special Agent
    Current Employee - Special Agent

Pros

- If you're really desperate for a few bucks, it can help out.
    - If you're okay with sitting on the computer constantly, and are proficient in googling and finding things out, and are still desperate for a few bucks, do it.
    - Sit at home and wear whatever you want.
    - Schedule (ahead of time) whenever you want to work, or attempt to log on without scheduling.
    - 'Operatives' which you can get help from in a chat area are friendly and personable.
    - Choose the questions you answer. Someone asks "how to make my hair shiny", you google "how to make hair shiny". Send them whatever tip you find. Simple.

Cons

- Terrible pay. You get 10 cents per 'researched' answer. With the way things are going now, you can expect to earn, if working diligently, honestly about $2.50 an hour.
    - Refresh the page 10 times before a new question comes up. This leads to terrible selection because there are FAR too many agents working at once. Once upon a time, our question queue would be full, plenty to choose from. But now, we get practically nothing. kgb_ started hiring quadruple the agents.
    - The newer agents are terrible and kgb_ doesn't seem to fire the bad ones. You'll see the same agent asking an Op for help on every single question (flooding the chat rooms), on the simplest questions, for weeks without being fired. You'll see the same agent sending the most awful answers (insulting, incomplete, improper grammar, flat out wrong), report them a few times, and they'll still be working for kgb_ months later doing the same thing.
    - kgb_ started hiring workers who speak limited English from the Phillipines. That would be fine if the incoming questions were coming from the Phillipines but they're not. The culture is far different and this leads to extremely high dissatisfaction rates by customers. Which means you'll see a whole lot of profane complaints from customers because someone didn't understand the question or sent an answer that didn't make sense.
    - The training courses in the beginning during the process to become an agent are loooong. You'll probably spend far more time than you'll end up needing on it. I'm talking HOURS and hours of unpaid 'training'.
    - You'll never be thanked for a good job. Regardless of how many customers have praised your answers, regardless of how efficiently you work, your unit leader or operatives will never encourage you or offer you any positive words.
    - Instead, if you make one mistake in one answer out of a few thousand answers, you'll have your job threatened. After sending 28000 answers since I started working for kgb_, I got an email with 10 handpicked "problem" texts. 6 of the 10 questions were correct and I offered proof of this. One was because I wrote our "not medical advice" disclaimer as "not med advice". Once, I should have charged someone who was asking how much we charge (that just seemed wrong to me). But, I was told that I must undergo a "get back on track" process and I was treated like an idiot. Even after proving that the 6 "inaccurate" answers were accurate, I was still required to go through this "get back on track" process. Yet like I said, they don't fire the agents who don't speak competent English or send horrible answers. And, you still get no feedback even when customers give you great feedback.
    - One other point I must mention for anyone who wants to work here - if the answer is legal, you MUST answer it. If you're Christian and they want atheist quotes, you still must do it. If you're against abortion and they want the number to a clinic for one, you must give it to them. If they're 50 and want tips on getting an 18 year old into bed, you must. I understand this can be hard for some people to do.
    - A few questions will take 20 seconds to research and send. Some will take 10 minutes (yes, you still only get 10 cents for those). The majority will take 2 minutes for a good answer. The rest of your time will be spent refreshing the page waiting for new questions to appear and clicking on them as fast as possible before another agent snatches it up.

Encourage the worker bees who do a good job. We work our butts off for far under minimum wage, and get nothing but a few bucks for it. Offer a good reward system. Fire incompetent agents after deep reviewing of their work. Of course I'd love to get seriously at least 15 cents per answer, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

There are newer employer reviews for kgb.

Worked for kgb? Contribute to the Community!