There are newer employer reviews for lululemon

Company operates like a sorority.

Former Employee - Key Leader in King of Prussia, PA
Former Employee - Key Leader in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at lululemon

Pros

Generous discount on clothes (60% for fulltime employees). Paid fitness benefit (yoga/gym). Fulltime week is 30 hrs for benefits. Upbeat customers in stores keep it interesting.

Cons

Management is completely unqualified. Business operates with background conversations termed 'feedback', which is simply another way of justifying speaking behind someones back. Benefits and Salary are some of the worst around. Upper management rarely works the sales floor, tends to heap responsibilities on midlevel floor leaders. Company forces individual into Landmark forum training in order to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

This place needs to start over from scratch. Bring in some consultants that will help recruit a group of individuals that can actually speak on fitness and yoga. Lose the cookie cutter approach to the hiring. There needs to be more focus on the fact that it is a business, and not a social club to show up and hang out during the day. I cannot begin to tell you how many times the idea of hitting the daily sales goal was just an after thought. There needs to be more opportunities for the educators on the floor to give their feedback of their management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

They definitely don't practice what they preach.

Current Employee - Educator in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Educator in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at lululemon

Pros

-comfy clothes to work -discount -2 free workout classes

Cons

-work weekends -miss holidays because you have to work either xmas eve or the day after xmas -one day (xmas eve) to buy things for friends and family-so tacky..My particular opportunity was after our store closed the day before xmas eve at 10:00 at night... yea sorry not going to buy my family picked over things... -They claim to be a luxury brand and company, yet they are so nit-picky and monitor what sizes you are buying to make sure it's for you and not for a friend or family member-my friend that worked for Chanel in NYC got one day every 3 months to buy things for family and friends-that's a luxury company-sorry lululemon -once you give your two weeks notice you are not allowed your discount even though you are still an employee of the company-once again tacky -if you don't fit a particular mold they are looking for they dismiss any sort of feedback you give them. if you are the type to speak up and point out flaws in the management don't work here... they say they appreciate feedback, but really they appreciate the feedback that they want to hear. Our store was the last privately owned lululemon in the nation and corporate took over in September. All employees were completely open to this change and saw it as a great opportunity....Everything went down hill fast.. People got screwed over immensely by corporate employees and within the past 2 months 5 employees have left- two of which had been loyal employees for 4+ years. - expect a lot of hypocrisy- the company claims to have core values of honesty, integrity, feedback..etc... they expect you to have those but not management. They pick and choose which ones they want to follow in a given situation -Be expected to work under people that are ignorant and on power trips if they are in a leadership position above you. If you are smart and ambitious and are not a push-over this place is not for you. Take my advice and don't work here. It causes too much unwanted stress in your life, because of the amount of crap you have to put up with (or don't have to put up with since my last day is Saturday). If you want to work retail work some where else. This company tries to hide the fact that it's terrible by being in your face about personal development and goal coaching, when really they want to mold you into what THEY want you to be.. They don't care about your personal goals unless they are future goals within the company. Run far, far away from working here.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach about giving and receiving feedback, and about the core values and manifesto of this company. Take ownership and responsibility that you must be doing something wrong if you have lost so many employees in such a short period of time. And no, it is not because of the change from switching to corporate-that is a great excuse though. Food for thought as well- Instead of focusing on trying to put all your employees in one basket, such as looks, goals, hiring people that will be push-overs and not speak up when there is bad management, focus on trying to keep your employees and not driving employees away that are genuine and hardworking, and have future goals outside of lululemon. I mean face it, as much as you may forget sometimes, this is a retail company not a company working for Dr. Phil or a self help, motivational speaker..... The reason this company has been so successful is because of consumers buying the product. It's that simple. And because of great guest experience, which I and the previous employees that left because of bad management, possess. With such a growing company, I urge you to seek diversity. Everyone that works at lululemon does not have to be obsessed with the culture (ie our old manager had a symbol tattooed on her ankle)....I would also say since Educator’s have a log for management to write in for feed back and incidences that have occurred, the leadership team needs a log for educators to write in for the same feedback and incidences that might have occurred. It needs to go both ways.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Key Leader in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Key Leader in Troy, MI

I worked at lululemon

Pros

Work Life Balance, Excellent Business Model and Philosophy, Encouraging, Goal Oriented, Fun

Cons

Is slightly elitist at times.

Advice to Management

Try not to pick favorites, encourage and train everyone.