lululemon

There are newer employer reviews for lululemon

Rampant Inauthenticity and Hypocrisy Due to Unqualified, Immature Management

Former Employee - Educator in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Educator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at lululemon part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-free fitness classes
-fun coworkers
-good discount

Cons

-incredibly unqualified and inept managers
-gossip masked as "feedback"
-company "manifesto" lacks substance due to inconsistent implementation
-poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance"
-cult-like atmosphere
-rampant favoritism prevents advancement of more qualified, harder working employees
-strict interaction guidelines and overall policies hinder guest experience
-general lack of professionalism among those in higher positions
-lack of clarity and transparency regarding guidelines for advancement
**if you are in any way educated, mature, or self-assured, RUN.

Be more in-tune with what's happening in each retail store. Perhaps even clean house and externally hire more qualified store managers. This is a company, not a high school clique.

233 Other Employee Reviews for lululemon (View Most Recent)

Good experience

Current Employee - Educator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Educator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at lululemon part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Based on how the store does, you earn a daily & monthly bonus -- it's a team bonus so it takes out the cut-throat mentality of most sales positions. They pay for your workouts, provide you with life-goal coaching. If you want to see change within the company, it's pretty easy to get ahold of who you need to talk to up at corporate , but seeing changes made from your feedback is a completely different story (might not ever happen). We do talk with the designers once a month to give them guest product feedback, but who knows it if they actually listen.

Cons

I know some people that are Educators for 2+ years PART TIME and are never offered fulltime status, even if they have been promised it by management. Product quality has really gone down the toilet over the past year or so , so it's hard to stand by a brand that isn't 100% transparent. If you have any plans of working for corporate, your best bet is to go somewhere else to get experience (especially if it's specialized) and then come back and apply for jobs at corporate. It's next to impossible to start as an Educator and move up to corporate without having to put up with years of BS and become a Key Leader, ASM, and SM first. Very frustrating.

Be more transparent about hiring. Why are you hiring for stores that can barely give their fulltime staff shifts? Don't make empty promises.

If you want an excellent example of trying to move up in a company and failing...

Former Employee - Educator
    Former Employee - Educator

I worked at lululemon part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful people, and free yoga! Personal and professional development was good, though the Landmark Forum is COMPLETELY NUTS.

Cons

Trying to move up in the company. I have 2 higher degrees (BA and MA) in a field that would allow me to move up in any apparel company, and it was my dream to work in HQ at lulu. But for some reason I wasn't able. I financed a trip myself to canada and visited/shadowed the team I wanted to eventually be on, networked, sent emails, communicated with my store manager, applied to the position I wanted, etc. I was part time at lulu & had a 2nd job relevant to my eventual dream job, but always expressed a desire to become full time at lulu on the store level in an effort to eventually move up to my dream job there. After a year and a half in this situation, I couldn't even even achieve full time status in the store; in fact, there were newer employees than I that were given full time status before me. I GAVE UP and now work in HQ at a different apparel company. Looking back, it's hard to fight the feeling that I wasted a year and a half working there for nothing...

Hear the needs of the educator: this is THEIR JOB. The store is not your castle and this isn't serfdom. You owe them more than 1 shift a week. Support them in their goals, ESPECIALLY if they want to work up in the company and ESPECIALLY if they are excessively qualified. If you promote someone with less seniority, give feedback to others who were interested in that were not promoted on why they weren't and what they can do to get the promotion-- and then live up to what you say. My management team were wonderful people outside of the store, but there were flaws in the workplace.

There are newer employer reviews for lululemon