Rampant Inauthenticity and Hypocrisy Due to Unqualified, Immature Management

Former Employee - Educator  in  Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Educator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at lululemon part-time for less than a year

Pros

-free fitness classes
-fun coworkers
-good discount

Cons

-incredibly unqualified and inept managers
-gossip masked as "feedback"
-company "manifesto" lacks substance due to inconsistent implementation
-poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance"
-cult-like atmosphere
-rampant favoritism prevents advancement of more qualified, harder working employees
-strict interaction guidelines and overall policies hinder guest experience
-general lack of professionalism among those in higher positions
-lack of clarity and transparency regarding guidelines for advancement
**if you are in any way educated, mature, or self-assured, RUN.

Be more in-tune with what's happening in each retail store. Perhaps even clean house and externally hire more qualified store managers. This is a company, not a high school clique.

Other Reviews for lululemon

worthwhile, however choose your path wisely

Former Employee - Keyleader
    Former Employee - Keyleader

I worked at lululemon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people at this company are absolutely fantastic individuals and remain some of my closest friends. The focus that is given during your first 6 months here can really help build a strong sense of self and realization of one's goals in life way beyond your time at the company. Especially for the younger staff I worked with the reward of watching their personal growth happen in a relatively short period of time was my most fulfilling memory of my employment here. Meeting and working out with some of the best instructors in my city was also a highlight and the health care package includes complimentary workouts at any studio. I highly advise anyone who thinks they are interested in the company to work for a contract seasonal position to see if it's a good fit.

Cons

The culture is appealing for sure, however over time it can become exhausting, diminished and hypocritical. Being a member of management made longevity here really taxing as you were expected to give 150% of yourself, your time and energy as a base line to be considered a "good employee". The concept of "worklife balance" is spoken of but too often forgotten about. Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level. Don't expect to have much privacy about your life here, you wanting to keep anything private is considered holding you back from your own development. Vacation time or days off are difficult and I found that the only way to have control over my life balance was to have a group of employees that had each other's backs and would barter coverage when needed (I got you if you get me this day). Compensation is hourly with enhancement of team commission for most positions, how well you do depends mostly on the success of the store location and organization of management. At times you will be pressured into incorporating many workouts at many locations all over your city and that at times can be very stressful and tiring. The quality of the product at times was in question and as a team we were told to keep it under wraps- that rode on my conscious and made me question the moral fiber of the company as a whole.

Overhaul the people who represent management and allow the employees to have more say in the success, culture and moral at their individual stores. Help minimize the public impression of the brand by restricting the founding CEO from making a fool of himself all over the media. Get back to the product standards that built the brand and quit trying to cut corners on quality.

Not a kool aid kid

I worked at lululemon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes

Cons

Poor leadership in the management role made for an unpleasant and unprofessional experience.

The self development coaching can get too personal and emotionally draining week after week which creates an uncomfortable, unhealthy and exhausting work environment. It is not ethical to pressure an employee into "sharing" personal struggles at work meetings on a weekly basis in order to have an amateur life coach try to analyze and fix them. Managers are not licensed psychotherapist and should be cautious of how deep they pry into an employees psyche and private life as they could do more damage than good. lululemon should provide regular access to a real life coach or certified psychologist if this intense self reflection is truly an important piece of their development culture.

There are newer employer reviews for lululemon.

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!