lynda.com

www.lynda.com
  www.lynda.com
There are newer employer reviews for lynda.com

Okay pay, but no growth for serious career long employment, dead end job

I have been working at lynda.com

Pros

Some great talent behind the wall of lynda.com, and they use to give us free food. They provide a clean campus near the beach, and they have pretty nice facilities.

Cons

That talent is wasted behind those walls, restrictions and greed weigh heavy on every single decision from legal to hospitality. Management is based on friendships and a lazy attempt to refill positions, seriously, even with terrible reviews they keep their managers in place. Make sure to drink and party with your manger to stay on top.

Instead of watching out for yourself walk as a true leader and lead with love and compassion...be an example not a coward. And for the love of God stop partying with your employees.

55 Other Employee Reviews for lynda.com (View Most Recent)

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."
    ~ Steve Jobs

Former Employee - Game Changer in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - Game Changer in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at lynda.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A handful of incredible, kind, talented employees. They had snacks and lunch at one point but they took that away mostly, they even took away the cereal haha! What else, well I would say the benefits are great but that's a lie. They will tell you as a new employee that you get a week off between Christmas and New Years if the company is doing well, which it always is(for now while US unemployment numbers are high) but the truth about that "free week off", or rather the trick behind it is you do not get 90% of the normal Holidays off throughout the year. So...they take upon themselves to consolidate the days most normal working Americans get off and package it into some clever "benefit". Medical is mediocre and dental is a joke, I had better dental coverage working full time in fast food as a teen.

Sometimes there is parking and it's free, but make sure to get in early. They have nice Holiday parties but last year was the last one they said.

Cons

The late Steve Jobs says it best, and he would have been fired from lynda.com because of his drive for excellence.

They pretend to be Apple and pretend to hold their brand to the same standards...not the case. I was laid off(with 10% of the company) for producing "too high of quality work" and because the upper management was threatened by my influence on my peers and company at large. I was more of a leader than they could ever dream to be to their employees and my legacy still haunts their everyday decisions and discussions, because they couldn't layoff(fire) everyone.

This is the environment you can look forward to working in. One where upper management is unqualified and will bully and threaten those below them to keep the troops in line. It's company wide, and if you're friends with the upper management then you'll do well. Oh and drink with them too, that seems to get people promotions. If you're not a drinker then take up smoking that helps too! The upper management loves their fellow smokers.

You should take a long look at yourselves and where are you at in your career. Do you deserve to be there? Are you really qualified? Maybe it is time to step down before Lynda realizes what you are really made of. Do you think being a bully convinces your employees that you should be trusted? Is is right to get drunk with your employees and gossip while others who don't choose to partake are left out of your "gang"? How does it feel knowing an ex employee has more respect from your department than you currently do, ever have and ever will have from them? And what kind of sign is that about the job you are doing at lynda.com? How distracting are those moving thoughts?

Fun, generous company with a great product and awesome people

Current Employee - Operations in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The owners are extremely generous and make a genuine effort to share as much as possible with employees.... from health insurance that covers your whole family and leaves you with basically no medical bills, to free catered lunches and healthy snacks. I work in Operations so I see how much time and effort goes into these programs and it really is amazing.

The people are definitely one of the best parts of working at lynda.com. I have become friends with lots of my coworkers and find everyone to be kind and supportive. Yes, we all work really hard, but being around great people makes it seem fun. I also think that there is a positive emphasis on work-life balance and do not see a lot of stressful overtime.

Another pro for me is working for a company that makes a valuable product. The online training library helps millions of people learn new skills and is priced where most can afford it. Even though I am not personally involved in the development of the courses, I appreciate using my time and skills for a company that makes something truly beneficial.

Cons

The layoffs that happened this spring were very stressful and sad, and I think they left a bitter taste for many at work. However, restructuring is a part of a high-growth company and I trust the path the executives have taken.

There are newer employer reviews for lynda.com