There are newer employer reviews for lynda.com

It's a good place, just don't get too attached.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at lynda.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Working with intelligent, competent, wonderful people • Great benefits for the entire family • High value on quality of workmanship, whether it is an email send or a video production • Location. You can take your lunch to the beach and get away from the computer screen. • Lots of executive reviews give you good practice at presenting to stakeholders and staying non-attached to your work. • It's intrinsically rewarding to work for a company that is all about helping people to become better at what they do. I was always proud of the product. That can help a lot of little things slough off.

Cons

There is a culture of fear—really great people seem to be let go without warning, which can make you a bit jumpy.

Advice to Management

I think we were all more competent than we were allowed/encouraged to be.

Other Employee Reviews for lynda.com

Fantastic company with growing pains....Which means the company is growing!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with are fantastic. The culture is one of excellence and transparency. Work/life balance is overall good and company promotes from within. Salaries are competitive and the benefits are AWESOME! lynda.com is profitable, and continues to share with it's employees as it grows.

Cons

Growing pains. For some of the people who have been here a while the changes seem to be a bad thing. From my perspective, for the company to continue it's growth, it can't continue to be a mom-and-pop shop. There have been some questionable decisions, but the leaders made corrections and are on the right track.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees.

Culture of Fear and Sense of ADD

I have been working at lynda.com (More than a year)

Pros

This company hires very intelligent, talented people and it provides good compensation and benefits. They provide some lunches, snacks, and exercise programs, and they have an excellent environmental program that promotes carpooling, composts food, provides electricity for electric cars, etc. On the surface, it seems like it would be a great place to work.

Cons

This company creates a culture of fear where employees who "fail" (without even understanding what it takes to "fail" here) find themselves out of a job, without warning or real explanation. The fact that so many of these negative reviews have been written by current employees, not just the ones that have been laid off, should make a strong statement. Despite the fact that it's been many months since the most recent round of layoffs, there's a constant sense of fear that maybe today is the day it's your turn for a "new day." (And, yes "new day" was their not-so-sensitive code phrase for the last round of layoffs that unceremoniously cut 10% of the company.) Even if you can get past the stress of not knowing if you going to make it to the next day, there's still the stress of the constant fire fighting and responding to the next "if you don't help me right now, I'm going to escalate this to upper management" threat. They say that constantly switch tasking greatly reduces your productivity. I would strongly suggest that any researchers who wish to put some statistics behind that concept should set up a study here. I would guess that I only get close to 5-10% of my tasks done in a given day. This is not for lack of working enough. (Working, quite literally, around the clock is practically expected and more common than not for salaried employees.) It's primarily due to the fact that upper management can't decide on, or stick to, a clear set of goals and priorities. That means that everyone is constantly bouncing between theoretically urgent tasks, never making true progress on any one of them. It's enough to give anyone ADD!

Advice to Management

Set clear, quantifiable goals and then either prioritize their goals or entrust the people you hired to do that prioritization for you. Stop trying to accomplish everything all at the same time. Doing this sets everyone up for failure and destroys morale. Empower your employees to make decisions and then have their backs, even if some of those decisions result in unintended consequences. (Don't just give lip service to it being okay to fail.) You hired smart people. Trust them!