There are newer employer reviews for lynda.com

Amazing colleagues and exciting challenges!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lynda.com offers the ability to learn without the pressures of the classroom. As a former educator, I see how the company goes outside of the "norm" and allows you to learn at your pace in your own place!
We offer amazing benefits, like unheard of medical and food programs! We have evolved of the years, but lynda.com still strives to take care of their employees.

Cons

New management has come in and shaken things up, changed the norm, and imposed their way of life on an existing ecosystem. Frankly, this scares people. But new ideas can also mean new product, which turns into new jobs, which equates to growth. Overall, it's a good thing for the company but along the way some people felt burned.

reviews filtered by

Media career, yes. Technical career, no.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at lynda.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are film aficionado, into the arts, comfortable with diversity and don't really care if any one approves of you or not, go for it.

Cons

management - mismanagement - lack of clear direction related to how the company manages growth. lots of side conversations create policy. no real management leaders here. just pop up players

Upper-management is incredibly professional and personable, the rest.... well...

I worked at lynda.com

Pros

Food served 3 times a week.
    The best benefits package that I have encountered
    Salary
    Very competent and knowledgeable management
    15 minute drive

Cons

These guys know each other for 8 years (some of them)... even if you are the nicest guy in the world, they will wait for a chance to throw you under the bus to show that they are better at programming.

Requirements are extremely lacking (lean project management to "increase" communication between people). Well I would call that being lazy and letting people take over.

The code is 8 years old and something that should have taken me 2 hours would take me 2 weeks there. The code is brittle and unmantainable.

Probably the worst mistake I've made joining these guys. I quit at the end of 6 months and got hired with a hotshot company that offers plenty of learning while working on a more-than-decent code-base.

I currently drive 3 hours total round-trip

Advice to Management

There's a philosophy that says the "customer is always right". That philosophy has never described programming in that way because it can't. "Just satisfying" the customer is the cause of many bugs and patches until the code becomes the way it is.

I would never recommend this company to anyone.

There are newer employer reviews for lynda.com