There are newer employer reviews for macys.com

The worst that bureaucracy has to offer

Former Employee - District Planner in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - District Planner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at macys.com

Pros

Some colleagues such as store managers and district vice presidents are the smartest retailers in the country. The workload is very reasonable given the level of pay.

Cons

The culture is one of bitter lifers, lying, backstabbing, ass kissing, CYA, and throwing everyone under the bus. The so called training programs are a joke. You will never get ahead in executive ranks if you were not born in this country. Promotions are based on who you know and not what you know.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows that half of the private label initiatives are a joke, but no one dares to challenge the crap that we're forced to sell. You grew last year because the economy improved, not because you had a clue what customers wanted. Until there is true leadership that dares to challenge entrenched bureaucracy, Macy's will just be another bureaucratic nightmare that beats the creative spark out of every employee.

reviews filtered by
  1. THe most healthy and pleasant work invironment I have ever worked in!

Former Employee - Freelance Photographer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Photographer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at macys.com

Pros

It all comes down to respect and integrity. They realized the key to having a productive work environment means you must hire not only talented, excellent, pleasant, team players they have to also provide all the resources
    required and keep the work force organized and happy. Clear realistic goals and decent pay. This is how they get the high quality results they must have to sell their product! Macy's West (Star point Studios) understood that when the work force and their environment are healthy happy and well maintained the product will be excellent! healthy and hap When the work place is chaotic or or the employees can't get along in a healthy way or aren't
    At Macy's West / Star Point Studios they provided an excellent work environment
    complete with state of the art equipment (enough for everyone) a great staff that kept things organized and running as smoothly as allowed by changing markets and events .They also appreciated their workers weather we were freelance or staff
    we were told regularly how well we were doing and offered every assistance as we required to complete our tasks well. Pay was correct as well.

Cons

Macy's West/Starpoint Studios is no longer opened. Macy's moved operations back east! The head offices didn't get the benifit of our studio! If they had worked directly with us they would have kept the doors open I'm sure.

Advice to Management

See above! Oh well too late..talk to the former head of Starpoint Studios about how to make a great work environment and how to build a great team!

A very bad experience

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at macys.com

Pros

There were some really nice people who work there, and I made some friends for life.

They were realistic about trying to strike a balance between work and family.

Cons

They had horrible benefits. They really are one step away from an HSA.

They use really old technology and do not want to change. They are generally bad at technology related things.

They make very dysfunctional decisions and alway choose to absorb technical debt.

The management team is very far removed from the actual work.

They are planning to outsource most of their high-tech jobs which makes sense since they are not doing a very good job of technology in general. Currently, the shop is very heavily run by consultants and contractors. Their obvious plan is to only have managers as full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to present Macys.com as a technology company. You are a retail company that dabbled in technology and have done badly at that. Just stick with your core business.

There are newer employer reviews for macys.com