Plenty of freedom except when there isn't

Former Employee - Flash Developer  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Flash Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at nliven systems

Pros

Flexible work schedule, proximity to exercise facilities and trails

Cons

Heavily regulated technology and Internet use, highly bureaucratic, lots of lingering problems with software and systems whose fixes keep getting put off for the sake of time and money.

Time management should be up to employees if they are exempt.

Other Reviews for nliven systems

Wish I didn't have to say goodbye

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at nliven systems

Pros

DefenseWeb was a fun, dynamic company to work for. They really made an effort to show that they cared for employees. We had afternoon movies, a break room stocked with food, red bull, soda, and video games, even some fun perks like in-office chair massages, catered lunches, and happy hours. The people here are all very nice and very smart- many employees socialize after hours and play in a local softball or tennis league.

Cons

DWeb is going through some tough times- roughly half the staff was recently laid off- and there is a tremendous lack of planning, finesse, and motivation on the senior management's behalf. The new CEO and COO are not particularly adept at communicating company changes. When the news that we'd lost a contract became public, the CEO (Bob Nascenzi) very literally told everyone at an all-hands meeting to start getting their resumes ready and begin interviewing at other companies, which started a mass exodus of all employees regardless of whether they were kept on or let go. Since the company has lost most of their projects, employees now wander the building gossiping without any work to do until they find new jobs or their 60-day layoff notice expires.

I am extremely sad to see that this company has lost its way because I enjoyed my experience here so much before the loss of their big contract.

Additionally, planning a lavish company holiday party while most of your employees lose their jobs sends the wrong message. It was nice when DWeb held events like this before- but now that we're in such a financial bind and losing so many employees, it sends a message of apathy about those lost rather than showing value to those left behind.

Please take care in how you communicate to your employees! Senior management's actions and words are amplified- if you act and sound worried, employees will be 10x more worried than you are. If your CEO tells everyone to go get new jobs, it will take more than a COO running around doing damage control to select individuals being kept on to make those select individuals stay.

Also, it would appear that this company really doesn't diversify its business well enough. One company should not have 60% of its business coming from a single contract. Please consider a sustainable business model!

defenseweb

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at nliven systems

Pros

Rewarding work. I have to say, the people make the job. DefenseWeb has a very good group of people. Keeping morale high is very important to management.

Cons

The downside, if you are a developer, is that you may get locked into their proprietary framework. This is not true for all projects, but some will require assembly line type coding.

Thank you for doing everything possible preserve the company culture. Employees at DefenseWeb really appreciate it. The move was well executed and went incredibly well. Kudos to the management and everyone involved.

There are newer employer reviews for nliven systems.

Worked for nliven systems? Contribute to the Community!