There are newer employer reviews for thePlatform

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and understanding. They know the system is complex, and are willing to give you the time to learn. The environment is laid back and very eco-conscious. It fits the Seattle vibe perfectly.

People tend to stay here for a long time, which is nice if you are mid-career and looking for challenging work that you can rely on.

The hiring process sets a high bar, and I think that helps the company maintain high quality employees.

The managers listen and respond to concerns and the entire team is open to new ideas.

Cons

The work is complex and obscure. Good luck explaining what you do at a dinner party.

Keep up the good work!

thePlatform Response

Sep 12, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are lucky to have such great managers that are so engaged with their teams, it does keep the level of trust high which allows for that sharing of ideas.
You're also
... More

32 Other Employee Reviews for thePlatform (View Most Recent)

Great People and Interesting Work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Benefits of a large company (Comcast), but it feels like a small company. The work/life balance is great. For the most part you can go home at the end of the day and not think about work until you come in the next morning.

Cons

There is some hr bureaucracy that we have to deal with because of Comcast. The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer.

Cool people, interesting problems, great technology

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

I really like the people I work with: they're smart, they're rational, and they're motivated. When you're trying to decide what to do or how to do it it's a discussion based on merit, not on seniority or politics or random executive "gut feelings". I've made some great friends here and it's cool to work with people you'd want to hang out with outside of the office.

The people would probably be enough to keep me here, but I also think it's a fun space to be working in: there's so much to figure out in online video and how the TV industry is evolving and to be involved on the cutting edge of it, as people are experimenting and trying new things, keeps you fresh. And we've got a lot of blue chip customers so it's fun to brag about which web sites and events you're behind.

Lastly, the underlying services we've built are just really strong. At some software-as-a-service companies it's a constant panic to keep everything up and running, long nights, getting woken up at 3 in the morning to figure out why something is jammed in the gears: that happens everywhere, of course, but here things feel more solid (knock on wood)

Cons

When you tell people where you work, don't say you work for Comcast, because everyone has an opinion about Comcast. But we've got our own culture. The only time you notice the ownership is when you're stuck watching a backlog of mandatory training videos for an hour or you're battling with their SAP portal to put in vacation time.

It's also a really lean organization, both in terms of using lean/agile methodologies and the # of people. You'll be asked to do a lot, and you'll have to be good at prioritizing what you work on and to have the strength to push back and set boundaries with your manager when there just aren't enough hours in the day.

The other part of being a smallish company is that there aren't that many management positions to start with, so if you want to climb, you're not going to make it to the peak unless a manager decides to move on. Instead, you advance by taking on bigger projects and more leadership on those projects, and that's how you get your salary bump.

Quit and make some space for the rest of us! :)

There are newer employer reviews for thePlatform