tw telecom

www.twtelecom.com
  www.twtelecom.com
There are newer employer reviews for tw telecom

Solid company to work for

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Dayton, OH
Current Employee - Account Executive II in Dayton, OH

I have been working at tw telecom

Pros

Weel managed from top. Excellent support and products.

Cons

Local GMs at times no idea how to pat on the back. Use fear and negative aspects to manage

Teach people skills to GMs

132 Other Employee Reviews for tw telecom (View Most Recent)

Telecom Provisioning of broadband, narrowband and Data circuits

Current Employee - Provisoning Network Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Provisoning Network Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at tw telecom

Pros

tw Provides a steady revenue stream while balancing that growth to needs of the cost centers (NOC). There is not much history of over-hiring and huge layoffs as sales swing over time.

Cons

Much power and attention given to HR wherein they direct a workforce management that includes micro-managing your time. Most employees in Denver NOC are required to log in & out at the desk. Petty attention given to signing in one minute late. Employees made to feel like children.

Real value is in quality and productivity metrics - not how long someone sits at a desk. Also, keep tabs on your middle management and their bonus incentive. They will walk all over their direct reports for that bonus without regard for employee retention.

Relatively Satisfied...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at tw telecom

Pros

Management is very trusting and encourages a healthy work / life balance. Majority of employees here are extremely tenured in the industry and within the company. As a younger employee there is so much that can be learned from these individuals...and they are always willing to help you learn if you truly want to.

Cons

Can't really complain about compensation as it could be worse if you go to other companies, however the one item I have noticed is if management sees an opportunity to pay you less, they will always take it.

Everyone in the company feels they should be paid $5-10K more, however I would say probably about 20% of those people are actually right, the others not so much. A lot of responsibility is given to people with lower level positions because it is a very lean company, which causes the "justifications" for higher compensations. Overall, I'd say salaries aren't as far off as people complain they are.

Management tends to make the big risky decision once we're in a desperate need so we're guaranteed not to fail. For example, when we released a big new product replacing a lot of older ones, it was years over due, however when it was released it was praised at how well it did. The reason it brought in so much revenue was because we needed this product 2 years before its actual release.

We tend to take baby steps as an organization and only making large moves until it is absolutely necessary. I understand it is difficult to make these decisions, but our growth rate will begin to stall if we don't make larger moves...and faster. We're a big company with a TON of potential, we simply may need to be a bit more risky with our thought process.

There are newer employer reviews for tw telecom