Once a promising startup, now just another stagnant small company trying to survive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at xMatters

Pros

* There are some pretty good folks in the company. The support folks are much better than those others that I have worked with. People are quite friendly.
* The product does fit a very nice niche. It complements the big guy's product offerings very well.
* Because the company is small, people can get to do many different type of things and can expand their skill sets.
* Parties are fun. Annual kickoffs are a blast!

Cons

* Company lost in direction. Too many strategic changes. Every couple of quarters, there will be a new pricing and licensing model.
* Trying to be all things to all people. xMatters has done very well in 1 niche market. The obvious choice is to expand into another market. However, xMatters is trying to expand into too many markets at the same time.
* It is a sales driven company. There is nothing wrong with it. But sales would sell stuffs that shouldn't have been and have dragged down the company several times significantly. The entire technical team spent many hours building product features specifically for some customers. Worst yet, xMatters got no money from the work. And those features would not be resellable.
* Management is very stubborn. They think they know it all. They will not listen to any suggestion. They always think they are coaching you. In fact, they are the folks who need coaching.

The exec team has done a very good job taking the company from nothing to its current state. Kudos to them. However, it is obvious that they are not capable of taking the company to the next level.

Everyone would be better off if the xMatters exec team would hire some experienced folks to take it from here.

xMatters Response

Jul 10, 2014ceo

It's always disappointing to hear that someone's experience at xMatters was not as enjoyable and it should have been. "A person" and "a company" are not always the right match. xMatters actual ... More

Other Reviews for xMatters

Work hard and play hard at a place where the CEO knows your name from your peers of 100+

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

An open invite from the CEO to have a talk when ever you need to plus his personal encouragement in company funded annual self improvement program makes xMatters feel like more than just a place to go to work.

Leadership at xMatters consistently keeps a blance and connection between sales and engineering making it easy to feel like you have a solid part in the company instead of being employee X.

Cons

Working at xMatters is hard work, sometimes it is like one person doing three full time jobs. As well the flat hierarchy makes the traditional minded feels constrainted in career growth.

Make sure to get current employee opinions also -

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

xMatters has been around longer than most startups by has doubled it's size in the last 3 years to over 125 employees. Not everyone made that jump or embraced the company's moves, not everyone made it so there are always sour grapes. One thing I like about the company is that they do listen to people's ideas and when something is wrong they change it.

Cons

I agree with too many pricing models. I think this is related to transitioning from software to cloud products but it can be confusing and hard to keep up with.

I think the company's vision makes sense and I like that each person is valued at the company. It seems to me that the company is on the right track.

There are newer employer reviews for xMatters.

Worked for xMatters? Contribute to the Community!