Oh... Zulily!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a knack for hiring young, smart, vivacious people that really have a passion to help the company succeed. When you first start it's easy to drink the juice and get caught up with the extreme growth and "incredible" milestones. It's a good learning opportunity for a recent graduate not quite sure about what they wanted to do. If you do well with the "high school" mentality - lots of pep ralleys, cliques, and the like - then Zulily can be perfect for you! It's not an evil place, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Cons

To give Zulily credit, I hear it's gotten better. However, be careful what you wish for. Working at a startup means that there are no set processes and things are changing all of the time. Yes, this can be exciting, but some jobs need process to be successful. Management is ok. There is a lot of passive agressive attitudes with the motto that "the door is always open" but the reality is that any feedback is likely meant with a defensive attitude or icing out afterward. They like to tell you that there is room for growth, but that is iffy at best. As someone who has moved on to better and brighter things, I think you should seriously consider what you're looking for. Really try to read the people you are potentially working with and if personalities seem like a good fit, then your time at Zulily may not be all bad. Is the company going to be the wave of the future? Perhaps.... But do your research before committing. If you wonder why people have been there 2+ years... they may not be happy but they are waiting to cash out.

Advice to Management

Follow through on what you say. Reward talent you want to keep or they will leave.

Other Employee Reviews for zulily

It depends...

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a current employee in the marketing department and just read through all of the reviews for zulily on glassdoor. Lotta haters out there and a few people who love the place. So who do you trust? I still work at zulily so you shouldn't trust me, but here's my best attempt at an unbiased review to provide another perspective to anyone who is looking at zulily as a potential workplace: I don't think zulily is for everyone. It's a great company and has experienced hyper growth (which is a little addictive), but with that hyper growth comes alot of growing pains and can result in some "misses" (which are pretty well documented in reviews here). I think that the extreme negative comments are valid and fair because people who wrote them likely had a really bad experience and feel pretty jilted; however, my observation *on the whole* is that people are pretty happy and excited about what's going on here, flexible in dealing with issues that come up and creative about figuring out how to resolve problems, and hopeful to see where this thing goes. Personally, I have been here for 2+ years, have experienced a lot of growth (both professionally and as part of the company), and have learned more here than at several past companies combined. I get to work on interesting projects with really smart, motivated people who share a common goal of creating a fun user experience and making zulily a preeminent brand. That's pretty cool. On the flip side, this place can be tough. With hyper growth comes big expectations and stress, and for people who aren't passionate about owning and driving something forward it can be overwhelming. You are expected to hit the ground running and be smart about how you prioritize your work and spend your time (at least, in marketing), and I (and a few others I know) tend to be my own worst critic feeling like I have never quite accomplished enough. But that's the type of person that I think will do well here. Someone who is hungry and motivated by a challenge and who wants to be part of something bigger. I've worked at a couple of jobs before zulily, both big and small companies, and never really felt like I had the ability to impact the bottom line. Here is much, much different. I've probably never worked as hard as I have here, but I've also definitely never had as much fun, since I know that I'm making a difference.

Cons

I shared both pros and cons above. Don't box me in, dude. I will say, though, that if you're trying to find out what zulily is really like, don't rely on anonymous postings on glassdoor. Look up the company on LinkedIn and talk to a real person.

Advice to Management

Keep this place a start-up. It's way more fun that way and you'll attract and retain people who live passionately and are invested in winning.

Need to be flexible with OT to survive

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one breathing down your neck as long as you are working and not standing around. Worked in several departments and they are all pretty easy. Most of the managers are OK but not all of them. Scott (the Intellisource big boss) and Todd (Zulily big boss) are always watching but clearly care about business AND the employees, rare in my experience with warehouse management.

Cons

Overtime is frequent and most of the time we get little notice (Has caused some issues with my kids and husband). I have seen little opportunity for advancement but hear that the company is growing by leaps and bounds.

Advice to Management

Hire more to keep overtime minimal or at least make it voluntary.