zulily

www.zulily.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for zulily

Finally stopped making excuses

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Nice people
Looks good on a resume, especially if you're fresh out of college
Occasional legitimate fun
Awesome HR department
Warm PBR on Thursdays

Cons

"The pay is incredibly low," I said when I started. "But it's a start-up. As the company grows, the salaries will too. Besides, the health insurance and paid vacation days are awesome!" And then I started working longer hours, doing more work, week after week, until I was doing twice the normal workload for the same pay. I then went "above and beyond" like I was told I had to do for a raise.... nothing happened.
"We're a start up," they said. "We can't afford to give regular raises," they said, as the company made headlines for its successes and opened up a UK office.
"Well, at least I've still got all this vacation time!" I said, until I realized I couldn't afford to go anywhere and couldn't really leave without screwing over my team. I continued the long work days, taking the occasional day off just to get caught up on errands. "At least I still have awesome health insurance!" I said, until I realized I'd never NEEDED health insurance more in my life because I was so stressed.
Then they made their employees start covering part of the "awesome health insurance," even though the company continued to grow and thrive. Then they worked our sick time into the "paid vacation days." Then I woke up, stopped drinking the kool aid, realized I was working long, hard hours and couldn't even pay my bills...and I moved on to bigger and better things. And unless they get their act together and realize that true success comes from happy, productive people who want to see the company succeed because they feel valued, many qualified people will too.
I hope things have improved since I left, as it has been awhile, but from what I am hearing this is not the case.

You've got a truly good thing going on... I wish I would have been encouraged to stick around and celebrate it more. I always did my best, but eventually I had to wake up. Value your employees and they will value you.

199 Other Employee Reviews for zulily (View Most Recent)

Oh... Zulily!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a knack for hiring young, smart, vivacious people that really have a passion to help the company succeed. When you first start it's easy to drink the juice and get caught up with the extreme growth and "incredible" milestones. It's a good learning opportunity for a recent graduate not quite sure about what they wanted to do. If you do well with the "high school" mentality - lots of pep ralleys, cliques, and the like - then Zulily can be perfect for you! It's not an evil place, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Cons

To give Zulily credit, I hear it's gotten better. However, be careful what you wish for. Working at a startup means that there are no set processes and things are changing all of the time. Yes, this can be exciting, but some jobs need process to be successful. Management is ok. There is a lot of passive agressive attitudes with the motto that "the door is always open" but the reality is that any feedback is likely meant with a defensive attitude or icing out afterward. They like to tell you that there is room for growth, but that is iffy at best. As someone who has moved on to better and brighter things, I think you should seriously consider what you're looking for. Really try to read the people you are potentially working with and if personalities seem like a good fit, then your time at Zulily may not be all bad. Is the company going to be the wave of the future? Perhaps.... But do your research before committing. If you wonder why people have been there 2+ years... they may not be happy but they are waiting to cash out.

Follow through on what you say. Reward talent you want to keep or they will leave.

Customer Service

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, collaborative & fun environment (outside of department). Fast growing company, pay was on the low end, but always with the excuse that it is a start-up.

Cons

Not easily able to move within company, customer service department was often overworked and were contract employees with no real intent to covert people to FTE. Due to nature of their supply chain, many customers seem unaware of timeframe for receiving their goods. Incredibly stressful during holidays (to be expected, but effects on morale not really addressed by management).

There are newer employer reviews for zulily