zulily

www.zulily.com

Finally stopped making excuses

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people
Looks good on a resume, especially if you're fresh out of college
Occasional legitimate fun
Awesome HR department
Warm PBR on Thursdays

Cons"The pay is incredibly low," I said when I started. "But it's a start-up. As the company grows, the salaries will too. Besides, the health insurance and paid vacation days are awesome!" And then I started working longer hours, doing more work, week after week, until I was doing twice the normal workload for the same pay. I then went "above and beyond" like I was told I had to do for a raise.... nothing happened.
"We're a start up," they said. "We can't afford to give regular raises," they said, as the company made headlines for its successes and opened up a UK office.
"Well, at least I've still got all this vacation time!" I said, until I realized I couldn't afford to go anywhere and couldn't really leave without screwing over my team. I continued the long work days, taking the occasional day off just to get caught up on errands. "At least I still have awesome health insurance!" I said, until I realized I'd never NEEDED health insurance more in my life because I was so stressed.
Then they made their employees start covering part of the "awesome health insurance," even though the company continued to grow and thrive. Then they worked our sick time into the "paid vacation days." Then I woke up, stopped drinking the kool aid, realized I was working long, hard hours and couldn't even pay my bills...and I moved on to bigger and better things. And unless they get their act together and realize that true success comes from happy, productive people who want to see the company succeed because they feel valued, many qualified people will too.
I hope things have improved since I left, as it has been awhile, but from what I am hearing this is not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got a truly good thing going on... I wish I would have been encouraged to stick around and celebrate it more. I always did my best, but eventually I had to wake up. Value your employees and they will value you.

It depends...

Marketing (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros: I am a current employee in the marketing department and just read through all of the reviews for zulily on glassdoor. Lotta haters out… Cons: I shared both pros and cons above. Don't box me in, dude. I will say, though, that if you're trying to find out what… Advice to Senior Management: Keep this place a start-up. It's way more fun that way and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Oh... Zulily!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros: They have a knack for hiring young, smart, vivacious people that really have a passion to help the company succeed. When you first start… Cons: To give Zulily credit, I hear it's gotten better. However, be careful what you wish for. Working at a startup means that there are no… Advice to Senior Management: Follow through on what you say. Reward talent you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on zulily.

Worked for zulily? Contribute to the Community!