zulily

www.zulily.com
  www.zulily.com
There are newer employer reviews for zulily

Finally stopped making excuses

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Nice people
Looks good on a resume, especially if you're fresh out of college
Occasional legitimate fun
Awesome HR department
Warm PBR on Thursdays

Cons

"The pay is incredibly low," I said when I started. "But it's a start-up. As the company grows, the salaries will too. Besides, the health insurance and paid vacation days are awesome!" And then I started working longer hours, doing more work, week after week, until I was doing twice the normal workload for the same pay. I then went "above and beyond" like I was told I had to do for a raise.... nothing happened.
"We're a start up," they said. "We can't afford to give regular raises," they said, as the company made headlines for its successes and opened up a UK office.
"Well, at least I've still got all this vacation time!" I said, until I realized I couldn't afford to go anywhere and couldn't really leave without screwing over my team. I continued the long work days, taking the occasional day off just to get caught up on errands. "At least I still have awesome health insurance!" I said, until I realized I'd never NEEDED health insurance more in my life because I was so stressed.
Then they made their employees start covering part of the "awesome health insurance," even though the company continued to grow and thrive. Then they worked our sick time into the "paid vacation days." Then I woke up, stopped drinking the kool aid, realized I was working long, hard hours and couldn't even pay my bills...and I moved on to bigger and better things. And unless they get their act together and realize that true success comes from happy, productive people who want to see the company succeed because they feel valued, many qualified people will too.
I hope things have improved since I left, as it has been awhile, but from what I am hearing this is not the case.

You've got a truly good thing going on... I wish I would have been encouraged to stick around and celebrate it more. I always did my best, but eventually I had to wake up. Value your employees and they will value you.

171 Other Employee Reviews for zulily (View Most Recent)

Young and Fun, but not without its growing pains

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere with a young, fun company! Definitely a fun place to work.

Cons

ALOT of growing pains. It seemed that there was always some sort of crisis. Usually the fall out fell on the shoulders of the customer service representatives.

It depends...

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a current employee in the marketing department and just read through all of the reviews for zulily on glassdoor. Lotta haters out there and a few people who love the place. So who do you trust?

I still work at zulily so you shouldn't trust me, but here's my best attempt at an unbiased review to provide another perspective to anyone who is looking at zulily as a potential workplace:

I don't think zulily is for everyone.

It's a great company and has experienced hyper growth (which is a little addictive), but with that hyper growth comes alot of growing pains and can result in some "misses" (which are pretty well documented in reviews here). I think that the extreme negative comments are valid and fair because people who wrote them likely had a really bad experience and feel pretty jilted; however, my observation *on the whole* is that people are pretty happy and excited about what's going on here, flexible in dealing with issues that come up and creative about figuring out how to resolve problems, and hopeful to see where this thing goes.

Personally, I have been here for 2+ years, have experienced a lot of growth (both professionally and as part of the company), and have learned more here than at several past companies combined. I get to work on interesting projects with really smart, motivated people who share a common goal of creating a fun user experience and making zulily a preeminent brand. That's pretty cool.

On the flip side, this place can be tough. With hyper growth comes big expectations and stress, and for people who aren't passionate about owning and driving something forward it can be overwhelming. You are expected to hit the ground running and be smart about how you prioritize your work and spend your time (at least, in marketing), and I (and a few others I know) tend to be my own worst critic feeling like I have never quite accomplished enough.

But that's the type of person that I think will do well here. Someone who is hungry and motivated by a challenge and who wants to be part of something bigger. I've worked at a couple of jobs before zulily, both big and small companies, and never really felt like I had the ability to impact the bottom line. Here is much, much different. I've probably never worked as hard as I have here, but I've also definitely never had as much fun, since I know that I'm making a difference.

Cons

I shared both pros and cons above. Don't box me in, dude.

I will say, though, that if you're trying to find out what zulily is really like, don't rely on anonymous postings on glassdoor. Look up the company on LinkedIn and talk to a real person.

Keep this place a start-up. It's way more fun that way and you'll attract and retain people who live passionately and are invested in winning.

There are newer employer reviews for zulily