zulily

www.zulily.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for zulily

Not the position I applied for or was discussed in my interview.

Former Employee - PT Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - PT Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A young company with a lot of growth potential and opportuniites to move within the company.

Cons

Growing too fast and is very unorganized. Communication from company to manager's to teams is lacking. The company can hardly keep up with all of its employees.

Better communication.

198 Other Employee Reviews for zulily (View Most Recent)

Too big, too fast.

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vibrant, creative and passionate group of young-ish professionals. Not the worst thing in the world to come to work everyday.

Cons

Had to find out the hard way the difference between working for your future and working for the "man." Exec level management runs with whims and is rarely prepared to handle crisis.

Pay people reasonable wages. Please.

Can't Believe How Awful It Is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers from my team and other divisions, but not the supervisors who have no idea what they're doing. To be fair, they don't really get training or coaching to help them along and that's the company's fault.

Cons

zulily is like hell on earth. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But I hope I never, ever have to work at such a terrible company again. Literally every single person who sits around me pings me every week about how much they hate working at zulily and how badly they want to leave. It's an open secret that everyone is looking elsewhere. My team has an after-work study group where everyone gets together to work on resumes to submit to other companies. I have known people who quit with no job lined up because they hated it so much, they couldn't take it anymore. And these aren't just from my team - they're from departments across the company. I think the only really happy people are the developers.

Why do employees quit? Because you're treated as expendable - ridiculously low pay, ridiculously long hours, and no appreciation. It's an open secret that in most departments, they only want you to stay for two years because it's cheaper to hire you cheap and throw you away. I know someone who was talked to about this two-year rule and then handed a book on applying to new jobs. Talk about employee appreciation!

The company will also make you work long, long hours, and make you come in on holidays without any compensation at all. I'm not even joking. When they asked me to come in and work a full day during a COMPANY HOLIDAY that most departments get to take off, I asked whether we would get extra pay, or a comp vacation day, or anything of the sort. They told me that because I was salaried, I would get nothing at all for coming in to work a full day during a holiday that they've promised employees would have off. Some of the jobs are only salaried because they figured out that it's cheaper to overwork you to death on a salary than to pay you overtime.

The CEO seems nice at first but then you realize he's out to suck people dry. There is very, very little opportunity to move up or to different departments because they hire outsiders and you're racing so fast to get everything done, you have no time to learn new skills. You'll also be lied to multiple times by the company. They'll claim they're forced by the city of Seattle to take away your sick days, they'll claim their health insurance forced them to start charging employees for their plans, it goes on and on. Don't buy any of it. It's sad to have to be so suspicious and question your company's every word, but that's how it goes when you're working here.

If you're thinking about coming to zulily for the experience and then leaving, forget about it. 1. I've watched multiple people get demoted because the company puts no effort into helping their employees grow. 2. zulily is gaining a reputation as a terrible place to work, and as a place that hires ill-qualified people because they can't get anyone better. 3. All of your coworkers are frantically trying to leave, so that position you applied to? At least three of your peers are probably trying for the same place.

You have your work cut out for you!

There are newer employer reviews for zulily