Empower RF Systems Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
4.2
Jon Jacocks

1. Small company with good compensation and benefits.

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Empower provides its employees with a successful team environment to achieve the goals for both company and employee. The benefits are well beyond what you would expect from a small company and the ability to grow within the company is outstanding. The CEO has an open door policy where any employee could walk into his office and have a chat.

Cons

As others have said, the location of the company isn't it the best location, however it is very close to major freeways to getting to and from the office is quite easy.

2. immediately involved on key projects

Current Employee - Technical Staff Member in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Staff Member in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technical teams are small and you will be doing real work on customer projects as soon as you join the company. This is not some place to come at the end of your career - this is a company where you will be learning and contributing to product developments and shipments right away.

Cons

The location is not so great, nothing very interesting to see if you go out for a walk at lunchtime, nothing very good to eat close by, so you have to drive for that.

Advice to Management

Kudos for not passing on the higher costs of medical and dental benefits to employees. The fact that my payroll deduction for a very good medical and dental plan has not changed over the last two years is appreciated.

3. RF Amplifier Lab

Former Contractor - RF Technician in Inglewood, CA
    Former Contractor - RF Technician in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Empower RF Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This is an established business.

Cons

Currently a male dominated atmosphere in the test lab.

5. Good small company to work for

I worked at Empower RF Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, lots of overtime. Excellent benefits, 401K and PTO. Great coworkers. You will learn a great amount of tuning and troubleshooting power amplifiers.

Cons

No issues with this company

6. Good place to work, friendly environment, cutting edge engineering.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Empower RF Systems part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work for this company for a long time and saw some ups and downs. Today our engineering team is genius; they create truly cutting edge products for our industry and it is exciting to be a part of this team.
    It is a small company with very friendly environment. Management is very approachable as well to discuss your concerns. Work hours are flexible: employees start their day anyware from 4 am to 10 am; some even work remotely if position permits. We have quite good benefit package for a small company: 401K, health, dental and vision insurance.

Cons

The building is a bit too small for the amount of employees. There are not enough parking spots for all employees on the parking lot so some employees have to park on the parking lot across the street per agreement with neighbor business. But I know that many companies in LA have worth parking arrangements.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a reward system for employees (we had it in the past). Also company events for employees lost their quality.

7. Great small business

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The potential to learn and grow is immense. The projects and programs are engaging and cutting edge. Feels less like working for a corporation and more like working for a family/team.

Cons

Need to be able to learn quickly and on the job as there is no formal training. May be hard (not impossible) to recover from bad performance on a project/program because of the small size.

Advice to Management

Hire tough, as this is a family.

8. Nice place to work until they hired a VP of Engineering...

Current Employee - Analyst in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Empower RF Systems

Pros

Well-run administratively;
    Better than average pay and benefits for a small company;
    HR issues are handled competently and professionally;
    Good opportunity to learn from some of the best engineers in the industry.

Cons

Horrid VP of Engineering! He's your best friend if you know how to kiss up, but that is all. He's very chummy with employees while face to face. But I've sat in meetings listening to him needlessly blast employees who five minutes earlier he was best buds with. Then afterward he'll lecture an engineer who just came up with a fantastic design about how he did it better, faster and cheaper 20 years ago in Brazil. Gimme a break!

Advice to Management

Can the VP of Engineering, the only thing I've seen him do a good job of is offending the entire senior engineering staff and make up lengthy stories about how he invented anything and everything in the RF industry, and even things not in the RF industry such as sliced bread and canned tomato juice.

Hectic and no clear leadership

I worked at Empower RF Systems

Pros

Pay and benefits were good, holidays and vacation. Office space was acceptable. Central location to the Los Angeles area, good freeway access.

Cons

Leadership, lack of respect for employees. Had a high turnover in key postions. Instead of getting to the root of the issues, let people go and start over with a new team. It never worked.

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to react to hearsay. Really look at Engineering and try to correct issues at the front end instead of back end when it is much harder.

Empower RF Systems Photos