Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Updated August 5, 2014

2.9

Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe
Richard Wolfe

A great company to work for. Fast growing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Fulfillment, competitive compensation, four weeks of vacation time.

Cons

Some of the areas are not well established.

It is a new company so there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out.

Pros

Friendly environment, small town feel, everyone knows each other

Cons

New company, not very organized, upper management is slow to move.

Good Culture, Strong Co-workers

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Strong co-workers
    - Casual atmosphere
    - Good experience for entry-level
    - Endless opportunities to learn new skill sets

Cons

- Corporate hierarchy is extremely difficult to navigate
    - Busy season is very busy

Roles and responsibilities could be more defined.

Jul 29, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. The Empyrean culture and opportunities for rapid career advancement are among the top reasons our employees enjoy working at Empyrean. We are ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not enough people for the amount of work required

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

The team managers are good and the co-workers are friendly. The relaxed dress code is also really nice.

Cons

They take away breaks, shorten lunches to just 30 minutes and expect you to do mandatory overtime on a constant basis. They require each team to know 15-20 different companies but then they lie to the companies and make them think they have a separate team for each one. It is not an environment I was comfortable with at all. It is the worst contact center I have ever been in. They don't have a normal quality, workforce or reporting department as normal contact centers do.

Spend a little extra money to get the right people in place for the jobs that are necessary to properly run an contact center and make sure there are enough employees to do so. Employees in a contact center should be able to take breaks, have appropriate lunch hours and be offered overtime instead of made mandatory. Team Managers should be allowed to do their job without the director constantly telling them what they think they should be doing. Too much extra direction.

Stay away from this company!

Former Employee - Tier II Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tier II Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Casual work atmosphere, casual dress, free soda, "small town atmosphere" where everyone knows everyone.

Cons

There is a lot of misleading information being provided to employees and clients. Glassdoor is a prime example, just look at the reviews and you can tell which ones were planted by HR and management to try to "up" their ratings from all the bad real ones. They will lure you in with a good salary and work environment but if you try to speak up about what needs to be fixed and provide solutions, be prepared to start looking for another job as they will release people in a heart beat for no cause without any warning. Forget annual reviews or one on one meetings to work on what they think you aren't doing correctly or tell you what you are as they don't do those either.

Fix the issues instead of trying to cover them up. Tell people if there is something they need to work on before you just release them.

CSR

Former Employee - Tier II Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tier II Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

I had a really great team that worked well together. I enjoyed the job that I was assigned to do and felt that if I would have stay I would have moved up in the company fast.

Cons

They did not pay enough for the service that was required of me. I was a really good asset to the company and was willing to stay but because of reasons unknown they would not make the changes,

Great Place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Client Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Empyrean definitely invest in its employees!

Cons

There are no cons at this time

Avoid this company!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Decent location
    Some coworkers are friendly
    Free soda and tea in the break room

Cons

No way to move up in the company.
    HR department is either ineffective or completely self-absorbed.
    Will force you to work major overtime for no real reward.
    0 work-life balance. Had a manager say you could either be successful at the company or have a balance, not both.
    Company has "enthused" current employees to write good reviews of the company on Glassdoor to try and counter-balance the negative reviews.
    Employees have been either fired or forced to resign because the company would not allow them to spend time with family during a medical emergency.
    Managers will pin all responsibility on analysts and call center because fixing the problems with the clients they manage is "not in their job description".

Reign in your HR manager,

Jul 29, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

We are sorry to read that you had a negative opinion of Empyrean while employed here. The large number of internal promotions and growth of the company attest to the fact that rapid career ... More

Collaborative, Client-focused, & Solution-driven

Current Employee - Product Development  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX

Pros

Collaborative: service and technology solutions grow from input provided by employees across the organizational structure--if your job supports the business service, you have a voice in how that service is created and enhanced.
    Client-focused: our clients are also partners in the collaborative process. No legacy concept is sacred...All ideas are welcome and evaluated.
    Solution-driven: meeting the unique needs for our clients is our primary objective. Our system offers unparalleled flexibility that allows Empyrean to tailor solutions to the specific needs of our clients and their plan design

Cons

Realist expectations: Matching our solution-driven, client-focused orientation with appropriate time lines is a challenge. Flexible, unique, client-specific solutions require time to define, configure, test, and release for production. Significant improvements in the implementation process during 2012-2013 has significantly improved results and client satisfaction. Developing buy-in and enforcing discipline throughout the organization will be needed to maintain the momentum and permeate the culture. Early involvement by the clients will help gain their enthusiastic partnership.

High-touch: Maintain the open-door policy that allows access by every employee to senior management. It has been a fundamental component of our historical success.
    Visibility: Continued participation in work groups, training, orientation meetings will reinforce multi-discipline, cross-functional collaboration and build synergy throughout the organization.
    Relationships: our clients love the personal connection they have with senior management.

Jul 29, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for posting your in-depth review. Many of your ‘pros’ reflect the values of Empyrean: Service Excellence; Innovation; Collaboration; Empowerment and Stewardship. As you mention, we are a ... More

Stupid and Lazy People need not apply

Current Employee - You Know Who I Am  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - You Know Who I Am in Houston, TX

Pros

-Small company growing fast, lots of work with chance to automate anything you wish. The current system is so flexible it could do anything, there's only one weakness, stupid people, you can work hard or work smart at Empyrean, working hard is not as respected as working smart (as it should be), so just cause you put in 80 hours a week doesn't mean you're going to get promoted, automate a process and save 200 man hours a month, that'll get you promoted. LOTS of work... but to me that's a good thing, constantly learning, innovating, thinking of new ways to do things, and never bored.

Cons

complaining people who say they don't pay enough and they're over worked (talking to you writing bad reviews on here). Seriously, shut up, if you don't like Empyrean leave, you're responsible for how much you make not Empyrean. no vacation sell.

Need more company functions that everyone can attend, sorry but i'm not driving 2 hours there and back to go to a 4 hour picnic. VACATION SELL!!!! please!!! i love working here, but feel like i'm getting cheated cause i don't really like to take vacation but feel like a need to because if not i'm going to loose those hours.

Worked for Empyrean Benefit Solutions? Contribute to the Community!