Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe

Richard Wolfe

Great Place to work and gain experience

Client Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsEmpyrean definitely invest in its employees!

ConsThere are no cons at this time

Avoid this company!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsDecent location
    Some coworkers are friendly
    Free soda and tea in the break room

ConsNo way to move up in the company.
    HR department is either ineffective or completely self-absorbed.
    Will force you to work major overtime for no real reward.
    0 work-life balance. Had a manager say you could either be successful at the company or have a balance, not both.
    Company has "enthused" current employees to write good reviews of the company on Glassdoor to try and counter-balance the negative reviews.
    Employees have been either fired or forced to resign because the company would not allow them to spend time with family during a medical emergency.
    Managers will pin all responsibility on analysts and call center because fixing the problems with the clients they manage is "not in their job description".

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in your HR manager,

It's an exciting time for the company and industry

(Current Employee)

Pros- Flexibility
    - Overall good coworkers and positive environment
    - Good benefits package
    - Experienced and knowledgeable senior management
    - A lot to learn

ConsThere are some gray areas as far as roles and responsibilities which create a lack of sense of ownership. This is not necessarily applicable across the whole organization, but at least it's something I have experienced in my area.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Collaborative, Client-focused, & Solution-driven

Product Development (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCollaborative: service and technology solutions grow from input provided by employees across the organizational structure--if your job supports the business service, you have a voice in how that service is created and enhanced.
    Client-focused: our clients are also partners in the collaborative process. No legacy concept is sacred...All ideas are welcome and evaluated.
    Solution-driven: meeting the unique needs for our clients is our primary objective. Our system offers unparalleled flexibility that allows Empyrean to tailor solutions to the specific needs of our clients and their plan design

ConsRealist expectations: Matching our solution-driven, client-focused orientation with appropriate time lines is a challenge. Flexible, unique, client-specific solutions require time to define, configure, test, and release for production. Significant improvements in the implementation process during 2012-2013 has significantly improved results and client satisfaction. Developing buy-in and enforcing discipline throughout the organization will be needed to maintain the momentum and permeate the culture. Early involvement by the clients will help gain their enthusiastic partnership.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh-touch: Maintain the open-door policy that allows access by every employee to senior management. It has been a fundamental component of our historical success.
    Visibility: Continued participation in work groups, training, orientation meetings will reinforce multi-discipline, cross-functional collaboration and build synergy throughout the organization.
    Relationships: our clients love the personal connection they have with senior management.

Stupid and Lazy People need not apply

You Know Who I Am (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros-Small company growing fast, lots of work with chance to automate anything you wish. The current system is so flexible it could do anything, there's only one weakness, stupid people, you can work hard or work smart at Empyrean, working hard is not as respected as working smart (as it should be), so just cause you put in 80 hours a week doesn't mean you're going to get promoted, automate a process and save 200 man hours a month, that'll get you promoted. LOTS of work... but to me that's a good thing, constantly learning, innovating, thinking of new ways to do things, and never bored.

Conscomplaining people who say they don't pay enough and they're over worked (talking to you writing bad reviews on here). Seriously, shut up, if you don't like Empyrean leave, you're responsible for how much you make not Empyrean. no vacation sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more company functions that everyone can attend, sorry but i'm not driving 2 hours there and back to go to a 4 hour picnic. VACATION SELL!!!! please!!! i love working here, but feel like i'm getting cheated cause i don't really like to take vacation but feel like a need to because if not i'm going to loose those hours.

Great if you're entry level but a waste if you're not

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros-4 weeks of PTO
    -Casual dress
    -Lots of flexibility if you are on the right team
    -If you are entry level then you will gain a lot of experience very quickly
    -Coworkers are easy to get along with and some of the teams have a great dynamic

ConsThe pay for the amount of work we do is terrible. Empyrean is a growing company and because of this they are very disorganized. If you are trying to advance in your career here, you will be disappointed. While some people do get promoted, most non-entry level positions are filled from outside hires. The turnover rate at this company is huge and I feel that this speaks volumes to the satisfaction of the employees.

Empyrean Benefit Solutions HR responded to this review Apr 30, 2014 EditDelete
    Turnover at Empyrean is less than 5%, including our call center. This amount of turnover is extremely low for any industry, but especially ours. We attempt to create a casual, very flexible work ... More

Just one person's point of view

Pros1. Directors and Senior Management are great at what they do. Extremely knowledgeable of the domain and have lots of helpful insight.

2. Almost unlimited responsibility for those that are willing to take it on.

Cons1. Unethical sales. Typical maybe, but far worse than what I have experienced. Clients are shown a demo website that is not live in production on any client. It often has many features we do not currently support.

2. This is not a technology company. No matter how this company presents itself it is not a technology. As of this review the position of CTO has not been filled. The upper management is the biggest pro of this company, but none of them have a background in technology.

3. The 80/20 rule is not true here. 90% of the work is easily done right now by 10% of the workforce. This has lead to an extremely high turnover of talented employees. High Turn over is never good, but this has really lead to young talent exiting the company.

4. The company feels the need to respond to glassDoor reviews and not let their actions bring employees onto the website to make changes. This is just marketing 101 on the internet.

Advice to Senior ManagementFill the upper technology management positions with people on level with your talent. Pay the talent to stay.

Empyrean Benefit Solutions HR responded to this review Apr 30, 2014 EditDelete
    Empyrean works hard to develop state-of-the-art technology and services that enable our clients to derive value from our solutions. All prospective clients are shown a demo that is live code in ... More

Start being honest

ProsOverall good coworkers that all want to get the job done.

ConsClients are mislead to believe that they are a part of a pod of 2-5 clients. Our teams have anywhere from 8 to 26 clients. This makes it hard for the clients to understand why their client is not Top priority at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling clients on it being a "technology" company when So Many process are completely manual. We arent there yet. And start telling them the truth about how many other clients are on their pod in the call center.

Flag Review
    Empyrean Benefit Solutions Manager, Corporate Functions responded to this review Apr 14, 2014 EditDelete
    Client satisfaction is Empyrean’s primary goal, and we are delivering on our promises with superior client survey scores. The roll out of our technology upgrades and process improvements will ... More

Empyrean is a great place to work! It is growing and vibrant.

Houston, TX

ProsEmpyrean has a vibrant culture. People are excited about the company and its future. They welcome suggestions and have an open door for questions.

ConsWhen a company grows as fast as Empyrean, sometimes things are not thought through so they have to go back and re-work some decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down just a little bit and try to get your hands around all repercussions of a decision.

Expect a new challenge everyday!

Houston, TX

ProsThe PTO is very generous. I see negative comments about working in the call center and that irritates me. The point is If you work hard, the managers do take notice! This is work and a call center at that! Your going to have some irate, crazy callers and your going to have nice, friendly callers. Simple as that! As far as training goes, I have worked in numerous call centers and they all give you basic training. You as individual need to take pride in your job and learn it as best as you can with what you have. If you feel your training materials or the system were not to your standards, be proactive and do something about it. Create your own learning templates and make suggestions. Even with refresher training and materials that can be read during ones own time, some reps still give bad information and that is not management fault! You need to take responsibility for your own work and make work easier for you. If you really dedicate yourself to being a rep, calls will be a slice of cake for you. I worked very hard for any promotion I've had. It wasn't because I was a favorite, it was because of my ambition to do well.Growth is always available to those who put in the work. Management team is very easy to talk to and will work with you.

ConsWork-life balance, more flexibility to work from home from a call center perspective. The Tier II"s do a lot of the BA work without proper training or time.

Worked for Empyrean Benefit Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Empyrean Benefit Solutions – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for the best. At Empyrean, we believe in the difference one person can make. If you’re looking to become part of a team where each person is encouraged to succeed and given the tools to do so, we want to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Empyrean Benefit Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Empyrean Benefit Solutions employees.