Empyrean Benefit Solutions Reviews

Reset
2.8
Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe
Richard Wolfe

Pros
  • They allow for casual dress, jeans, shorts and t-shirts can be worn most days (in 5 reviews)

• Casual dress code is appreciated by most employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• This has lead to an extremely high turnover of talented employees (in 5 reviews)

This is a company to watch - and a great one to work for!

Current Employee - Client Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

**Opportunity for growth (strong performers are recognized/promoted quickly)** Flexible schedule WFH opportunity Great salary - esp. for industry Rich benefits package Stable industry Caring leadership and management with a true open door policy

Cons

As in all avenues of this industry - Annual Enrollment and Implementations are busy. You will work more, but it pays off later. (Do it right, then relax some.) This business may not be for an individual that favors a constant/easily predictable schedule.

Advice to Management

Don't pay much attention to some of the initial comments posted here. Looks like a few employees did not work out - but it motivated others to speak up and share reality! Great job Empyrean!

Exciting Company and Industry with great people

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Empyrean after working for larger organizations in a similar capacity. What drew me to Empyrean was its status as a newer player in the marketplace, but with a commitment to technology and evolving with the changing needs of clients. Empyrean has offered me the chance to be a part of this evolution, fostering an environment where any employee can speak up and be a catalyst for change and improvement. Larger organizations can get bogged down by structure and red tape, but Empyrean encourages outside the box thinking and process improvement. Does Empyrean expect you to work hard? Yes. Can the hours be long, especially during Open Enrollment? Yes. However, that is the same industry-wide and I have found that hard work is rewarded here. Enjoying the people you work with goes a long way during those peak times, and the people who work here are really extraordinary. Management is accessible and actually listens to feedback. Each manager I have had has helped guide my career path. There are bumps along the road, no doubt, but I am excited to be a part of this company and where it is headed.

Cons

Peak times can mean long hours (but same across the industry)

Advice to Management

Continue to foster an environment where all associates can speak up, collaborate and contribute. The culture at Empyrean is one of its best qualities, so I hope management continues with the vision they've had to date as Empyrean grows.

Apr 14, 2014 – Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspectives and experiences as a member of the Empyrean team.

Valued and Empowered

Current Employee - Senior Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is one in which employees input is respected. Autonomy is the norm and there is total access to the executive team which works collaboratively toward a successful, winning environment. As a newcomber, I feel fortunate that inclusion and consistent confidence building is a priority for our management team, mine in particular.

Cons

If you can handle the challenging pace, you will enjoy your career here.

Advice to Management

Maintain the events which foster employee input and boost morale such as the Town Meetings, charity oriented events, holiday meals, tournaments and other appreciation events.

Apr 14, 2014 – Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for adding your opinions and experiences to our Glassdoor site. Empyrean is a dynamic, high-energy company where every employee is empowered to make a difference.

Dynamic, challenging, fun work environment with lots of growth opportunity.

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to wide range of projects/technologies contributes to growth of skillsets. Ability to directly influence business results and be recognized for positive results. Company provides technology solutions as well as client services, so there is opportunity to learn and grow in both areas. Solid training on technology applications. Company is growing very quickly, so there are a lot of organic growth opportunities - both from a compensation and role perspective. Small company mentality - direct access to senior management and employees are empowered to suggest and implement changes that influence results positively. Company does a good job of hiring strong performers.

Cons

Providing services to clients will always be challenging if the client's perception is that the services being delivered are not of high quality. The ability of employees to directly influence the quality of the services provided makes this managable. Keeping up with company growth from a human capital perspective is challenging, but also leads to a lot of career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on keeping small company mentality and continue to avoid red tape and bureaucracy that makes large organizations inflexible.

Empyrean is a great place to work! It is growing and vibrant.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Empyrean has a vibrant culture. People are excited about the company and its future. They welcome suggestions and have an open door for questions.

Cons

When a company grows as fast as Empyrean, sometimes things are not thought through so they have to go back and re-work some decisions.

Advice to Management

Slow down just a little bit and try to get your hands around all repercussions of a decision.

Collaborative, Client-focused, & Solution-driven

Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative: service and technology solutions grow from input provided by employees across the organizational structure--if your job supports the business service, you have a voice in how that service is created and enhanced. Client-focused: our clients are also partners in the collaborative process. No legacy concept is sacred...All ideas are welcome and evaluated. Solution-driven: meeting the unique needs for our clients is our primary objective. Our system offers unparalleled flexibility that allows Empyrean to tailor solutions to the specific needs of our clients and their plan design

Cons

Realist expectations: Matching our solution-driven, client-focused orientation with appropriate time lines is a challenge. Flexible, unique, client-specific solutions require time to define, configure, test, and release for production. Significant improvements in the implementation process during 2012-2013 has significantly improved results and client satisfaction. Developing buy-in and enforcing discipline throughout the organization will be needed to maintain the momentum and permeate the culture. Early involvement by the clients will help gain their enthusiastic partnership.

Advice to Management

High-touch: Maintain the open-door policy that allows access by every employee to senior management. It has been a fundamental component of our historical success. Visibility: Continued participation in work groups, training, orientation meetings will reinforce multi-discipline, cross-functional collaboration and build synergy throughout the organization. Relationships: our clients love the personal connection they have with senior management.

Jul 29, 2014 – Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for posting your in-depth review. Many of your ‘pros’ reflect the values of Empyrean: Service Excellence; Innovation; Collaboration; Empowerment and Stewardship. As you mention, we are a ... More

Great Place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Client Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Empyrean definitely invest in its employees!

Cons

There are no cons at this time

Empyrean is one of the best companies that I ever worked

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Empyrean benefit solutions is one of the best companies that I ever worked. I like the vision and the leadership style of the top management team. The leadership team listens to their people and value people's opinions with the open door policy. The pay is competitive and hard work is rewarded here. Most people are very nice, friendly and supportive. Since I joined the company three years ago, I have seen tremendous growth and improvement within the company. We are not perfect, but we are getting there.

Cons

The only drawback is the medical premium is very high.

Advice to Management

You guys did such a great job! Keep the good work and lead us to the next great milestone!

Excellent company with exceptional culture.

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Empyrean has an excellent product. This is a key factor that is the basis for everything else. A great product means happy clients, happy clients mean more growth for the company, more growth for the company means more opportunity. There is also significant investment in new technology to stay at the forefront of the Ben Admin industry. The culture at Empyrean is excellent. Employees at all levels take pride in what they're working on. There is an entrepreneurial feel that everyone is here to work together for the good of the client and their employees. They work hard but you see occasional breaks where people chat, play basketball, ping pong, etc. I've been here a little more than a month and I can't remember how many people have offered help, advice, or just taken an interest in who I am and what I'm working on. All of this is not by accident, the leadership models these traits and they are encouraged throughout the organization. -Transparency in leadership -Company wide events -Department specific celebrations -Full kitchen on each floor -Competitive compensation -Lots of opportunity

Cons

Many of the cons in this company are more industry specific. No matter where you work there will be parts of the job, company, or the industry that you may not like. The goal is to find a company that provide the support and resources needed to succeed. That being said, if you are looking at a career in the professional services industry be prepared for: Seasonal Demands-Open enrollment is very busy and will require more time. This is balanced the rest of the year. Client Demands-You work for Empyrean and Empyrean works for their clients. Your client may need more help. Complexity-This is a very complicated industry and it's always changing. Expect to be constantly learning. No onsite gym for Empyrean employees. There is a discounted gym membership offered near the office.

Advice to Management

As Empyrean continues to grow it's technology and expand market reach continue to lead in a way that preserves and enhances the culture.

One of the best company to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

. People are nice. . Company provides recreational activities (specially the Ping Pong tournament quarterly). Fast moving technology company . Great compensations . Great work and life balance (does not demand after hours work like many other places) . Great Technology VP who know and understand the core applications inside out . Work hours can be flexible . Employees referral bonus . Tuitions reimbursement programs

Cons

. Leaderships need to brief employees more on the direction of the company and other important headlines . Office is located closed to Houston Galleria; this is one of the most traffic congested area (this was the reason I left) . Need to provide carrier guidance for employees (ex: employee carrier objective and current path)

Advice to Management

. Updates employees on what's going on once a while . Have more town hall meetings . Listen and evaluate employees feedback

RSS Feed </> Embed