Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe
Richard Wolfe

Great Place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Client Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Empyrean definitely invest in its employees!

Cons

There are no cons at this time

Collaborative, Client-focused, & Solution-driven

Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collaborative: service and technology solutions grow from input provided by employees across the organizational structure--if your job supports the business service, you have a voice in how that service is created and enhanced.
    Client-focused: our clients are also partners in the collaborative process. No legacy concept is sacred...All ideas are welcome and evaluated.
    Solution-driven: meeting the unique needs for our clients is our primary objective. Our system offers unparalleled flexibility that allows Empyrean to tailor solutions to the specific needs of our clients and their plan design

Cons

Realist expectations: Matching our solution-driven, client-focused orientation with appropriate time lines is a challenge. Flexible, unique, client-specific solutions require time to define, configure, test, and release for production. Significant improvements in the implementation process during 2012-2013 has significantly improved results and client satisfaction. Developing buy-in and enforcing discipline throughout the organization will be needed to maintain the momentum and permeate the culture. Early involvement by the clients will help gain their enthusiastic partnership.

High-touch: Maintain the open-door policy that allows access by every employee to senior management. It has been a fundamental component of our historical success.
    Visibility: Continued participation in work groups, training, orientation meetings will reinforce multi-discipline, cross-functional collaboration and build synergy throughout the organization.
    Relationships: our clients love the personal connection they have with senior management.

Jul 29, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for posting your in-depth review. Many of your ‘pros’ reflect the values of Empyrean: Service Excellence; Innovation; Collaboration; Empowerment and Stewardship. As you mention, we are a ... More

Empyrean is a great place to work! It is growing and vibrant.

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Empyrean has a vibrant culture. People are excited about the company and its future. They welcome suggestions and have an open door for questions.

Cons

When a company grows as fast as Empyrean, sometimes things are not thought through so they have to go back and re-work some decisions.

Slow down just a little bit and try to get your hands around all repercussions of a decision.

Dynamic, challenging, fun work environment with lots of growth opportunity.

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to wide range of projects/technologies contributes to growth of skillsets. Ability to directly influence business results and be recognized for positive results. Company provides technology solutions as well as client services, so there is opportunity to learn and grow in both areas. Solid training on technology applications. Company is growing very quickly, so there are a lot of organic growth opportunities - both from a compensation and role perspective. Small company mentality - direct access to senior management and employees are empowered to suggest and implement changes that influence results positively. Company does a good job of hiring strong performers.

Cons

Providing services to clients will always be challenging if the client's perception is that the services being delivered are not of high quality. The ability of employees to directly influence the quality of the services provided makes this managable. Keeping up with company growth from a human capital perspective is challenging, but also leads to a lot of career opportunities.

Continue to focus on keeping small company mentality and continue to avoid red tape and bureaucracy that makes large organizations inflexible.

Valued and Empowered

Current Employee - Senior Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is one in which employees input is respected. Autonomy is the norm and there is total access to the executive team which works collaboratively toward a successful, winning environment. As a newcomber, I feel fortunate that inclusion and consistent confidence building is a priority for our management team, mine in particular.

Cons

If you can handle the challenging pace, you will enjoy your career here.

Maintain the events which foster employee input and boost morale such as the Town Meetings, charity oriented events, holiday meals, tournaments and other appreciation events.

Apr 14, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for adding your opinions and experiences to our Glassdoor site. Empyrean is a dynamic, high-energy company where every employee is empowered to make a difference.

Exciting Company and Industry with great people

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Empyrean after working for larger organizations in a similar capacity. What drew me to Empyrean was its status as a newer player in the marketplace, but with a commitment to technology and evolving with the changing needs of clients. Empyrean has offered me the chance to be a part of this evolution, fostering an environment where any employee can speak up and be a catalyst for change and improvement. Larger organizations can get bogged down by structure and red tape, but Empyrean encourages outside the box thinking and process improvement. Does Empyrean expect you to work hard? Yes. Can the hours be long, especially during Open Enrollment? Yes. However, that is the same industry-wide and I have found that hard work is rewarded here. Enjoying the people you work with goes a long way during those peak times, and the people who work here are really extraordinary. Management is accessible and actually listens to feedback. Each manager I have had has helped guide my career path. There are bumps along the road, no doubt, but I am excited to be a part of this company and where it is headed.

Cons

Peak times can mean long hours (but same across the industry)

Continue to foster an environment where all associates can speak up, collaborate and contribute. The culture at Empyrean is one of its best qualities, so I hope management continues with the vision they've had to date as Empyrean grows.

Apr 14, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspectives and experiences as a member of the Empyrean team.

This is a company to watch - and a great one to work for!

Current Employee - Client Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

**Opportunity for growth (strong performers are recognized/promoted quickly)**
    Flexible schedule
    WFH opportunity
    Great salary - esp. for industry
    Rich benefits package
    Stable industry
    Caring leadership and management with a true open door policy

Cons

As in all avenues of this industry - Annual Enrollment and Implementations are busy. You will work more, but it pays off later. (Do it right, then relax some.) This business may not be for an individual that favors a constant/easily predictable schedule.

Don't pay much attention to some of the initial comments posted here. Looks like a few employees did not work out - but it motivated others to speak up and share reality! Great job Empyrean!

A great company to work for. Fast growing company.

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fulfillment, competitive compensation, four weeks of vacation time.

Cons

Some of the areas are not well established.

Good Culture, Strong Co-workers

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Strong co-workers
    - Casual atmosphere
    - Good experience for entry-level
    - Endless opportunities to learn new skill sets

Cons

- Corporate hierarchy is extremely difficult to navigate
    - Busy season is very busy

Roles and responsibilities could be more defined.

Jul 29, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. The Empyrean culture and opportunities for rapid career advancement are among the top reasons our employees enjoy working at Empyrean. We are ... More

Stupid and Lazy People need not apply

Current Employee - You Know Who I Am in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - You Know Who I Am in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Small company growing fast, lots of work with chance to automate anything you wish. The current system is so flexible it could do anything, there's only one weakness, stupid people, you can work hard or work smart at Empyrean, working hard is not as respected as working smart (as it should be), so just cause you put in 80 hours a week doesn't mean you're going to get promoted, automate a process and save 200 man hours a month, that'll get you promoted. LOTS of work... but to me that's a good thing, constantly learning, innovating, thinking of new ways to do things, and never bored.

Cons

complaining people who say they don't pay enough and they're over worked (talking to you writing bad reviews on here). Seriously, shut up, if you don't like Empyrean leave, you're responsible for how much you make not Empyrean. no vacation sell.

Need more company functions that everyone can attend, sorry but i'm not driving 2 hours there and back to go to a 4 hour picnic. VACATION SELL!!!! please!!! i love working here, but feel like i'm getting cheated cause i don't really like to take vacation but feel like a need to because if not i'm going to loose those hours.

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Photos