Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe

Richard Wolfe

Great if you're entry level but a waste if you're not

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros-4 weeks of PTO
-Casual dress
-Lots of flexibility if you are on the right team
-If you are entry level then you will gain a lot of experience very quickly
-Coworkers are easy to get along with and some of the teams have a great dynamic

ConsThe pay for the amount of work we do is terrible. Empyrean is a growing company and because of this they are very disorganized. If you are trying to advance in your career here, you will be disappointed. While some people do get promoted, most non-entry level positions are filled from outside hires. The turnover rate at this company is huge and I feel that this speaks volumes to the satisfaction of the employees.

Very disorganized and more concerned about budgets than employees

ProsThey allow for casual dress, jeans, shorts and t-shirts can be worn most days.

ConsLeadership cares more about numbers than people. They tell you they have flexible scheduling but they aren't flexible. There is not a good work/life balance. They have unrealistic expectations of what they think can be done but all had to be done manually. They don't have the systems in place that would assist in this work and don't want to spend the money to do it. The manual work is unreal, there is so much that is done manually that clients would be shocked if they realized what is going on there. Also forget the medical benefits, horribly costly, and not affordable for anyone.

Flag Review

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Manager, Corporate Functions responded to this review

Apr 14, 2014

We are sorry to read about your concerns. Leadership is listening and investing in the greatest asset to the company – its employees. Our open door philosophy encourages you to bring these issues ... More

Start being honest

ProsOverall good coworkers that all want to get the job done.

ConsClients are mislead to believe that they are a part of a pod of 2-5 clients. Our teams have anywhere from 8 to 26 clients. This makes it hard for the clients to understand why their client is not Top priority at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling clients on it being a "technology" company when So Many process are completely manual. We arent there yet. And start telling them the truth about how many other clients are on their pod in the call center.

Apr 14, 2014

Client satisfaction is Empyrean’s primary goal, and we are delivering on our promises with superior client survey scores. The roll out of our technology upgrades and process improvements will ... More

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empyrean is a great place to work! It is growing and vibrant.

Houston, TX

ProsEmpyrean has a vibrant culture. People are excited about the company and its future. They welcome suggestions and have an open door for questions.

ConsWhen a company grows as fast as Empyrean, sometimes things are not thought through so they have to go back and re-work some decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down just a little bit and try to get your hands around all repercussions of a decision.

Expect a new challenge everyday!

Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe PTO is very generous. I see negative comments about working in the call center and that irritates me. The point is If you work hard, the managers do take notice! This is work and a call center at that! Your going to have some irate, crazy callers and your going to have nice, friendly callers. Simple as that! As far as training goes, I have worked in numerous call centers and they all give you basic training. You as individual need to take pride in your job and learn it as best as you can with what you have. If you feel your training materials or the system were not to your standards, be proactive and do something about it. Create your own learning templates and make suggestions. Even with refresher training and materials that can be read during ones own time, some reps still give bad information and that is not management fault! You need to take responsibility for your own work and make work easier for you. If you really dedicate yourself to being a rep, calls will be a slice of cake for you. I worked very hard for any promotion I've had. It wasn't because I was a favorite, it was because of my ambition to do well.Growth is always available to those who put in the work. Management team is very easy to talk to and will work with you.

ConsWork-life balance, more flexibility to work from home from a call center perspective. The Tier II"s do a lot of the BA work without proper training or time.

The department you choose to work for will determine your opinion of this company....

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code (jeans, button/collar shirts, sometime shorts)
Pay is decent for this line of work
Teams are great to get along with

ConsI was employed in the call center part of the company (please search other departments first for employment).

The biggest problem had to have been the under-staffing. The company is doing a great job growing as it promises clients teams that handle 2-3 clients, but the teams handle more around 10-20. The promises made compose of quick turn around time (24-48 hours), call center assistance for HR reps, accurate processing of incoming/outgoing files (carrier, IDF). The problem is these were starting to become unrealistic as time went by. The clients grew, but the company staffing shrunk. More clients were obtained (through cheap pricing of unrealistic expectations) and more employees were terminated.

So what does this mean? You are tied to the phone for extended amounts of time. Breaks and lunch schedules are determined by the current level of our service level agreements. These are the unrealistic promises made that say we answer phones in lest than 1 minute or calls last less than 5 minutes. You can imagine how under-staffing causes these to always be below the promised amount and the whole advertised promise of breaks and hour lunches are out the window.

Errors in processing or incoming/outgoing files have employees calling with insults/threats so often. This is what makes it a horrible day at work. You can only stand so many calls of people insulting/refusing to get off the phone/threatening to get you fired. It really is a part of the company that is taken for granted because if any upper management ever really thought it was "no big deal" to go through this all day they would be doing it as well. This happens much more often than you think which in turn makes it difficult to reach service level agreements and keeps the pain wheel turning.

The data/information about benefits/processes/contacts are scattered everywhere. You come to the company and find that they use a very nice UI for their benefits portal. It is also used for a lot of the clients as well. The problem comes when different data is available in different places for each client. You can't depend that you will find this information in the same place for all because the client has to pay for certain details/info to appear in a part of the website. Again, this creates more call volume (even HR representatives get angry at this somehow) meaning more screaming more yelling and service level agreements are not being met. Pain wheel....keeps rolling.

Training does not exist to help you in these areas. You get a quick explanation of basic (VERY BASIC like "this is how you type your name in this program") processes. Details on when we receive certain information for a client/new hire processes/location of the info they will not place on the website/processing of unique benefits. These are created into cases and when resolved we receive the feedback of "you should do more research before sending this to us". Again training is unjustly quick and not thorough whatsoever. Yet, this counts against US. Not sure how or why, but then again neither is management so they just do as they are told.

Be very careful with your sick/calling in activity. This DOES count against you. They feel justified in terminating you if they find a "pattern", but most of the time there isn't one and it comes down to favoritism when Person A is fired for calling in too much and Person B called in just as much, but has a better relationship with management.

Everyone is starting to quit that place. More and more new people are there, but that is because the former employees left without notice and they are rushing to fill these spots. Some of these people were actually promoted to work alongside the admin teams with no relief in place. So be ready to work along someone who only has about 2-3 months of experience and expect problems.

If you are looking for a job here and have a bachelors degree apply for an admin position first and foremost. Most people report positive experiences there and environment is much more relaxed there (they don't take calls). If not, try shared services department, some secretary position, some of the labor positions, etc. I have found that almost all other departments report better experiences than the call center part.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis probably will not be read or even acted on, but oh well.

Pay attention to the trends in the call center. You have a high turn over rate (so many people have left without 2 weeks notice because of pure spite. Literally people or 2+ years did not return after they were fed up) because you wont hire enough people to help with the work and will not train them properly.

Please hire quality people. Do not hire anyone that responds to a yes or no questions with "yeah, uh huh, yup, naw".

Push the admin team to take more control over the problems that occur. Cases sit a long time in their possession because they will not check their cases (somehow they know how to use SQL, but not Salesforce.....ok). No one wants to babysit a co-worker.

On another review you responded with, "client satisfactions is top priority", but then again you under-staff the call center. You do not train the call center well enough. You pass most of the responsibilities the admin team USED to have to the call center part (which we normally don't have enough time to do). You do not provide the caliber of tools necessary to fulfill these promises that are made to the client. I believe you're focused too much on making money off the client with over promising SLAs. This is not looking out for "client satisfaction" when you can clearly mark the problems of the company and take no effort to fix them.

The call center has been very poorly managed over time. More efforts appear to exist in improving the admin side, but sadly the call center has become such a hell hole.

I for one, cannot see this company improving in time. Clients have not renewed their contracts and SO MANY of the experienced employees have been terminated or quit. More than likely the company will make cuts to the call center department before the admin department due to lack of income as these problems continue. You have referred to the call center as the "front-line" of the company (any company that does this is telling you that you will have a horrible time btw). What I think you do no understand is the "front-line" requires the most assistance. Yes, they are expect to receive the worst treatment and face the problems head on before anyone else, but do a poor job of maintaining this line and you will shortly find yourself with no defense against the wave of problems that other departments create. Again, you probably will not address this as it should be addressed, but I am sure years down you will see what I mean.

Apr 14, 2014

Empyrean is growing rapidly, both in client base and number of employees. To support our growth and continue our “client centric” service, the leadership team has invested and is committed to ... More

Dynamic, challenging, fun work environment with lots of growth opportunity.

Client Services Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsExposure to wide range of projects/technologies contributes to growth of skillsets. Ability to directly influence business results and be recognized for positive results. Company provides technology solutions as well as client services, so there is opportunity to learn and grow in both areas. Solid training on technology applications. Company is growing very quickly, so there are a lot of organic growth opportunities - both from a compensation and role perspective. Small company mentality - direct access to senior management and employees are empowered to suggest and implement changes that influence results positively. Company does a good job of hiring strong performers.

ConsProviding services to clients will always be challenging if the client's perception is that the services being delivered are not of high quality. The ability of employees to directly influence the quality of the services provided makes this managable. Keeping up with company growth from a human capital perspective is challenging, but also leads to a lot of career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on keeping small company mentality and continue to avoid red tape and bureaucracy that makes large organizations inflexible.

Valued and Empowered

Senior Sales (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsThe environment is one in which employees input is respected. Autonomy is the norm and there is total access to the executive team which works collaboratively toward a successful, winning environment. As a newcomber, I feel fortunate that inclusion and consistent confidence building is a priority for our management team, mine in particular.

ConsIf you can handle the challenging pace, you will enjoy your career here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the events which foster employee input and boost morale such as the Town Meetings, charity oriented events, holiday meals, tournaments and other appreciation events.

Apr 14, 2014

Thank you for adding your opinions and experiences to our Glassdoor site. Empyrean is a dynamic, high-energy company where every employee is empowered to make a difference.

Unappreciated And Unheard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsDress code is really casual
-Liberal in handing out PTO
-Co-workers are generally friendly

Cons-Horrendously understaffed; fueled by high turnover
-My former manager informed us that we had to choose between a work/life balance and success at work.
-Most employees do not see any reward for working hard.
-Raises barely keep up with cost of living
-Issues brought up to managers are not heeded or blown off
-People are rarely able to take time off even during down-time.
-Managers do not know how to actually run their clients and won't help out if an analyst is struggling to get things done on time.
-Analysts are expected to take on roles reserved for the call center and the managers. The managers do not reciprocate.
-Managers can and will deflect responsibility to the analyst to save themselves.
-Low compensation
-Will not pay earned PTO upon leaving the company.
-Little to no room for advancement (unless you're in upper management).

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, slow down the growth of the company. The clients you have aren't set up like at Hewitt where one person can manage 12 clients. Even the managers are scared about getting clients due to under-staffing. You need more employees, not clients. That will help with turnover.
Second, take a look at the times that employees are submitting. If an analyst and the call center are putting in 50+ hours on a client but the manager is not, there is an issue.
Third, get systems that talk with each other. There is a lot of manual uploading/updating going on that can cause issues with non-compliance.
Finally, hold your managers accountable if a client is having issues (see above).

Empyrean Benefit Solutions HR responded to this review

Feb 28, 2014

Empyrean is growing quickly, both in the number of clients and staff. This success has led to endless opportunities for those employees who wish to advance their careers with Empyrean. We are sorry ... More

Exciting Company and Industry with great people

ProsI joined Empyrean after working for larger organizations in a similar capacity. What drew me to Empyrean was its status as a newer player in the marketplace, but with a commitment to technology and evolving with the changing needs of clients. Empyrean has offered me the chance to be a part of this evolution, fostering an environment where any employee can speak up and be a catalyst for change and improvement. Larger organizations can get bogged down by structure and red tape, but Empyrean encourages outside the box thinking and process improvement. Does Empyrean expect you to work hard? Yes. Can the hours be long, especially during Open Enrollment? Yes. However, that is the same industry-wide and I have found that hard work is rewarded here. Enjoying the people you work with goes a long way during those peak times, and the people who work here are really extraordinary. Management is accessible and actually listens to feedback. Each manager I have had has helped guide my career path. There are bumps along the road, no doubt, but I am excited to be a part of this company and where it is headed.

ConsPeak times can mean long hours (but same across the industry)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster an environment where all associates can speak up, collaborate and contribute. The culture at Empyrean is one of its best qualities, so I hope management continues with the vision they've had to date as Empyrean grows.

Apr 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspectives and experiences as a member of the Empyrean team.

Worked for Empyrean Benefit Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Empyrean Benefit Solutions – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for the best. At Empyrean, we believe in the difference one person can make. If you’re looking to become part of a team where each person is encouraged to succeed and given the tools to do so, we want to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Empyrean Benefit Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Empyrean Benefit Solutions employees.