Emulex

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014

Emulex President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Benck
Jeff Benck

Pros
  • Work involves cutting edge technologies with modern methedologies (in 4 reviews)

• Some of the Work Environment is really good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work is hard and can at time put pressure on work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• The company is very top-heavy with many VPs and Directors around, even though they may only manage a handful of staff (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working on Network Performance Testing

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Some of the Work Environment is really good.

Cons

Can't expect from Company on new Projects.

Some good theories, but grew too big without a plan

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Lots of strong technical people and many years of quality products. When I was there they paid well and worked to retain people.

Cons

In the last decade they grew from a small-medium company to a medium-large company. They also were forced to shift from controlling a niche tech market (fiber channel storage networking) to competing in a commodity market (converged networking). In my opinion they did not adapt fast enough and are struggling to remain relevant.

Fast moving, competitive medium size company

Current Employee - Product Marketing  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Experts in subject
    Small fast moving teams
    Resources to back teams

Cons

Lots of org change recently
    Red tape

Keep tone at the top consistent to all employees all the way done

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company with Good People

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

State of the art technology
    Great engineers
    Lots of future potential
    Great place to learn

Cons

Layoffs recently have created some scare

Executive strategy has been revised many times as of recent and seems to lack substance in some of the reasoning

No vision or product to save present or future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Good colleagues and southern California location

Cons

To much executives and management staff, lost vision. Constant layoff of best talent and waste of company money on useless projects and products. Lack of processes, courage and support to implement best of industry and lessons from mistakes.

Look at your competitors to diversify and cut huge expenses on old and favorite staff. Acquisitions from cash on hand and repeated layoffs are not a way to grow the company or product line.

Current Executive Management Destroying Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Previous management team created a successful corporate culture that included teamwork, great work environment and low employee turnover. The previous environment was building successful products that resonated with customers and generated an synergistic profitable partnership with customers.

Cons

Current management team has created an adversarial work environment with high stress and high employee turnover. The adversarial environment has spread from within to also include the customers. This current corporate culture created by current Executive Management team has translated into a poor work environment, poor customer relations and diminished sales and profits. The current focus is very short term focused aimed to pad the pockets of the Executive team at expense of the long term viability of Emulex. Communication between Management and employees is non-existent. Executive management operates in a "bubble".

Change Corporate Culture to a teamwork/partnership style environment. Take a page from the previous management's playbook when the company was successful. A good start would be to open the communication from the Top to the Bottom of the Organization and NOT just rely on the information provided from the top of the Executive management organization.

Good friends; management by trial & error, mostly error

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

friendly co-workers and peers
    nice campus, work environment
    good engineering talent in the trenches

Cons

self-serving exec management
    disingenuous, cliche-driven communications with employees
    strategies adopted in the past 5 years have failed miserably; time to face it

be brave, close Roseville

A public company with a great entrepreneurial spirit

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Great engineers, interesting projects, very interesting space with lots of competition. Great learning environment, and good combination of real time device engineering and optimization of end user application performance.

Cons

Very large workload. Much of the time we seemed overworked and understaffed. Many engineers had to cover multiple bases, in addition to covering their own project.

More communications with the troops, better staffing for given workload.

Current Employee (Inside Sales, Distribution Sales, Channel Sales)

Current Employee - Distribution Channel Account Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Distribution Channel Account Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

I've worked in Inside Sales, was promoted to manage Distribution Sales and have been given the opportunity to develop my Sales Skills by venturing out into the field to manage key partners in Southern Cal. I am based out of the HQ is Costa Mesa. This is the best place to work in Orange County. If you are committed to your work and give your very best, you can prosper within Emulex. There is absolutely opportunity for upward growth if you work hard and produce results. Getting hired at Emulex was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I have amazing rapport with my managers and I have direct access to our VP's, including our WW VP who sits down with me every 6 months so that he can understand what's going on in my world. The President of the company is easy to talk to and takes a genuine interest in the employees at this company. I highly recommend Emulex Corporation.

Cons

What cons? I can't think of a single con. I once wanted a raise, so I went to my manager and let him know that I wanted XYZ, so we created a plan that focused on results, I exceeded that plan, presented my case, and management listened and rewarded that behavior So I can't even complain about the money. What's not to like about Emulex?

Continue to keep your doors open so that employees can walk in with questions and concerns. The WW Sales VP has opened his door to me so that I can touch base a few times a year on where I am at. For employees that want to grow their careers and someday be a VP, this time is invaluable. I would encourage all Emulex VPs to schedule a mid-year and end of year 30 min meeting with employees in the lower ranks. Access to upper management can be a huge motivating factor to stay with the company.

Exciting times and looking forward to 2013

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

The Companies direction and focus. The commitment to employees and the overall work environment.

Cons

Very few, we have competitive salary and benefits. In a smaller company there tends to be less promotional opportunities however while you might not get the title you want, you are given the ability to work outside the traditional box and that helps grow your skills. Which might not happen in larger companies.

Continue to stay focused and continue the communication process with employees. It is nice to have an understanding of how all roles fit into the strategy moving forward.

Worked for Emulex? Contribute to the Community!