Emulex

Updated November 6, 2014
2.9

Emulex President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Benck
Jeff Benck

Pros
  • Work involves cutting edge technologies with modern methedologies (in 4 reviews)

• Some of the Work Environment is really good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • work is hard and can at time put pressure on work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Low opportunities for career growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Work Environment tough Market

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Emulex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment and strong company values where the customers and employees are highly valued.

Cons

The FC business is declining with heavy investments going into growing new portions of the business, however none of it appears to be profitable or likely to achieve profitability within the next several years.

Keep the good work environment, and invest in programs that don't overburden engineering and will provide significant and profitable revenue.

Worst & selfish management, constant layoffs

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Emulex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not too far from the beach, nice neighborhood, In-n-out burger is very close by

Cons

Worst management in the world who only want to milk what's left of the dying cow called "Emulex"

Resign

DVT Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer In Test in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer In Test in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Emulex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get hands on experience working with lots of servers and cool hardware

Cons

It is very boring and the people are less than enthusiastic. It was an environment where you counted down the seconds until work was over and the product you are making is less than exciting.

Compensation should be much higher to accommodate for field of study. Work place needs to be more exciting and fun, get rid of useless weekly meetings... on small teams people know what we are working on. I did not need to walk upstairs, wait for a room, sit down with my team mates to say "I am doing exactly what you think I am doing and as I have been constantly discussing with you over the past week *BLANK* is what I am having trouble with". It seemed this was a pattern.

Emulex is a very poor investment of your time

I worked at Emulex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Emulex pays well, if you negotiate a high salary to begin with. For the next few years, there are minimal raises expected.
    If you are a fresh-out then Emulex is a good place to learn multiple skills.

Cons

The upper managment has a long history of being very happy as the number 2 player in a duopoly. They strongly avoid risk, including any innovation. As their cash cow Fibre Channel dies, they are dwindling their liquid assests and their engineering resources over petty infighting. Their marketing and sales departments have no experience in growing new markets nor attacking adjacent markets. They only know how to sell derivative "me too" products to the same 4 enterprise OEMs who are no longer buying.

- sell off or shut down Endace. It's a loser and you will not make it profitable - all the innovators are gone and the product is very stale.
    - Learn what an adjacent market is. For example, you should be pushing your Pilot server controllers into the new Automotive Ethernet market - get it on Intel's SDK.
    - Admit that you do not have the cash to buy a startup that can get your cash-flow back. If you can't sell existing products in new markets and innovate on your own with parts you already have (for example a cloud server flash controller) then you are done.
    - Hire someone who knows how to run a software company and put them in charge of your drivers and firmware. Your lack of revision control and the appalling rate that you send out driver updates that don't compile is embarrassing and costing you business. Any upper manager who thinks it's OK for it to take 3 months to change a default register value should be retired with extreme prejudice.

OK Company to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager Product Makreting in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Product Makreting in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Emulex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. A great working people.

Cons

Company has tendency to do frequent lay off if it doesn't meet revenue.

Great Place to Start

I have been working at Emulex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very easy to approach and talk to. It's a really good environment to learn about this industry and great way to learn about teamwork and communication between different teams.

Cons

A lot happens on a day to day basis, some days you're overwhelmed and others it feels exceptionally slow. I feel this is the same no matter where you go though.

Intern

Former Employee - ASIC Verification Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - ASIC Verification Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Emulex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary
    Good perks
    Avg cafeteria.
    They try to include a mentor intern relationship
    Intern meetings held which encourages interns and gives them prospects to choose their career

Cons

No enthusiasm, work culture is not good
    People try to steal away from work
    No food
    No recreation activities
    Office politics played

Some good theories, but grew too big without a plan

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Emulex full-time

Pros

Lots of strong technical people and many years of quality products. When I was there they paid well and worked to retain people.

Cons

In the last decade they grew from a small-medium company to a medium-large company. They also were forced to shift from controlling a niche tech market (fiber channel storage networking) to competing in a commodity market (converged networking). In my opinion they did not adapt fast enough and are struggling to remain relevant.

Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Emulex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good environment to learn. location

Cons

average pay range, less benefits

So-so company and lack of clear leadership

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Emulex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is interesting, opportunity to learn and excel technically. Smart and friendly co-workers

Cons

Lacking leadership. Communciation is bad, no sharing of information. Cliques system at different levels of management. Add to that, they have grown inorganically with acquiring companies - management folks tend to form tight groups with their own buddies and not open to good ideas from outside that group.
    Don't expect salary raises to come by easily.
    With the technical talent that they have, the technology of products do not reflect that.

Look around - see and learn from other successful companies where open communication plays a critical part.