Enaxis Consulting

Updated February 13, 2015
Updated February 13, 2015
3.2

Dhiren Shethia and Jonas Georgsson

First class colleagues in an culture of excellence

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having been at both larger and smaller consulting firms, I find that Enaxis is the right balance between the two. It has the right infrastructure to allow consultants to focus on their jobs, while presenting a wide range of growth opportunities. The diverse backgrounds and skill-sets present at Enaxis mean that we really can leverage each others' knowledge when needed. Additionally, there is a real focus on work life balance and ensuring that the employees don't burn out.

Cons

As the firm continues to grow, ensuring that the latest information is readily available to employees will be key to effective scaling. Additionally, building the necessary structures to continue to grow and mature consultants in a manner beneficial to the employee and the firm will be required to build the next set of Enaxis consultants.

Over the past year, we've done a good job making investments in the back office that allow for a more streamlined work environment. The company culture is excellent; as we grow we need to make sure we keep the maintenance of the company culture a focus.

Small Firm, Big Opportunity

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite being a smaller firm compared to typical IT or management consulting firms, Enaxis conducts itself as a large, established firm through its service offerings and client portfolio.

There is good opportunity for career advancement through gaining experience and developing skills on client engagements, training and company-sponsored certification courses, and firm development (business development, writing white papers, etc.).

Good work-life balance and focus on working hard, but understanding that everyone has a life, friends and family outside of work.

Cons

Senior Team and performance managers can engage their teams more to help ensure their goals are being achieved and provide guidance for career advancement.

Through continued growth, maintain what has made Enaxis a great place to work -- the family atmosphere.

Jan 22, 2015Talent Director

Appreciate the input!

Enaxis deserves its Houston Chronicle "Top Workplaces" award from 2014

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, camaraderie, local engagements, and flat hierarchy

Cons

The salary level is not that of top firms...but that's to be expected to a certain degree, considering the work/life balance emphasis and low travel. Visibility into progress towards short/long-term goals within the firm, drivers behind bonus determination, and communication from Senior Team to rest of firm can be lacking at times.

For attrition reduction, consider more visibility and direct communication about bonus expectations and goals process. When the firm does well, we should all do well.

Jan 22, 2015Talent Director

Thank you for your input!

Culture of Mediocrity and Egos

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Firm is more of an IT staffing than a consulting firm so the hours are not as long as at the big consulting firms (but the pay and career opportunities are way lower also)
    Titles are inflated so if you were a sr. consultant at a big firm, you can easily get a manager title here (though Managers don't "manage" projects, they just have a higher bill rate)
    Firm likes to have people in the office on Fridays

Cons

Very little deep I.T. or industry expertise in the firm--no one to learn new skills from if you already have a strong background
    Selling mostly "bodies" and not "projects" to clients
    No path to being a "true" partner, i.e. no one can advance to the level of ownership and control of the 2 founders unlike in a management consulting firm; lots of backbiting and talking about each other at the senior levels--hierarchical, not collegial
    Watch out on Glassdoor, seems like they let the companies pick which reviews are shown first as "popular"

Stop "strongly encouraging" employees to talk up the company and make only positive comments about the firm; accept criticism

Be very careful and do a lot of homework before considering this firm (not recommended)

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not bad place for a career transition, especially from the high travel life of management consulting firms
    If you're a "rah rah" for the firm type, you will get better reviews
    Expect only a 45-50 hour work week (40 for the client and 5-10 for the firm) but expect more work if you take vacations to make up for the time off (hours often limited since most clients don't allow billing over 40 hrs per week)
    Very few people have to travel
    If you have a role where you can bill beyond 40 hrs/week, you're a hero
    Some enjoyable happy hours and social events

Cons

Management not looking for feedback on anything of significance (all real decisions made by top two people behind closed doors)
    Perks and bonuses are minimal compared to larger firms
    Very few roles where you can demonstration what you can do--most client work is staffing positions where you are doing change mgmt. (presentations) or project management directly working for client personnel and evaluations are based on keeping the client person happy and hours billed
    No one wants to hear any real feedback from the staff
    Partners will not protect staff from abusive behavior by clients
    Very, very few (2?) repeat clients
    Training materials are poor and there are not individual training plans for everyone
    Senior managers and partners are always talking about each other behind their backs

Make it a policy that it will no longer be tolerated for manager, partners, and clients to yell at staff
    Stop trying to "spin" to employees and present honestly about the challenges the firm faces in finding sustainable growth

Do Your Homework and Talk to Former Employees for Honest Reviews

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay for expensive office space to have social Fridays and as a base for social (drinking) events
    Definitely a place if you like to attend every drinking event they put on
    Great place to get staffed in project mgmt. in I.T. at Chevron

Cons

Owners do not apply their "core values" to themselves--they love employees to call them "brilliant" and support their ego--quick to threaten if you don't line up with their views
    They pressure employees to provide favorable reviews on the firm (many current employees, including myself, don't feel comfortable providing an honest view of the firm to candidates)
    Most of the profits go to the owners and their few favorites

Provide an ability for staff to judge the owners according to the core values
    Allow dissent
    Broaden the client base and get clients to stick with the firm

Staffing (not Consulting) Firm That Doesn't Have the Expertise They Claim

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Location is outside of downtown with good parking and many nearby restaurants
    A few colleagues are very nice and helpful

Cons

Presents itself as way more than it is--most of what they have done and do is very basic I.T. staffing
    No real Oil & Gas experience--Owner insisted a pumpjack was really a derrick and couldn't believe he was wrong
    Training, development, benefits are marginal compared to the major consulting firms

Honestly describe the work that they may do to applicants
    Tone down the owners' egos and start listening to the staff

Unsupportive and not open to new ideas

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great office space downtown, free parking
    Snacks at the office.
    Most consultants are friendly

Cons

This firm promotes itself as being very open to new ideas, but is steadfast and firm in the way that it likes to do things. They focus much of their team building efforts around drinking alcohol, if you are not a drinker you will not fit in. Some of the consultants and senior managers hold back on information that you need to get your job done.

Be more open to new ideas and look for novel approaches to solving issues. Develop a mission and vision, not just have value statement. Be more honest in what you tell future employees concerning the scope of the work. There is very little management consulting and much menial work to be done, be honest with this instead of promising otherwise.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

We are sorry to read this review but thank you for taking the time to write it. Readers can get a good idea of the type of work we do by the White Papers listed on our website. We also encourage a ... More

Excellent work experience overall, I feel like part of a strong team with exemplary consulting skills.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time

Pros

Value offering to the client is immense. My colleagues are very high-caliber consultants, and it is a truly collaborative team. I have both reached out for and provided expertise in areas where a colleague (or me) felt their skills needed a boost. You are never out there alone on an assignment -- I feel like someone's got my back at all times. Training and continual education offerings are excellent. You really can grow here, if you have the right attitude and make the commitment.

Cons

Senior management is brilliant and personable, but often too busy to understand an issue in full. Everyone is spread thin, possibly an effect of such a dynamic firm. I work a lot -- not sure I have ever achieved that work-life balance that is talked about... Expectations could be made clearer; onboarding process is good, but has not covered enough.

Approach growth cautiously. Do whatever you can to not lose the collaborative, family-feeling that keeps so many of us there. Also, maybe spend some time with each of your consultants on a regular basis to maintain that personal touch, take one of your employees out for coffee every day.

Wonderful consulting firm - excellent leadership

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment of hard-working, ethical consultants.
    Hires smart people that will fit with the company values and atmosphere. Retains and rewards them if they follow through!
    Leadership really cares about well-being and happiness of all employees.
    Generous, fun, and familial atmosphere.
    Leadership is committed to training, professional growth and helping consultants get certified in several areas, which will help consultants be diversified and able to fit where needed, especially when clients tighten their belts an opportunities are scarce.
    Great opportunities for team bonding, happy hours, book club, charitable activities, fun runs, parties, etc.
    Nice offices, good technology.
    Leadership cares about continuous improvement, as evidenced by their annual employee survey and the corrective actions they take in response.
    Works hard to provide clear expectations, performance management. Impressed with supporting technology for back office functions (such as performance management, knowledge management, time/expense reporting, marketing, business development, etc.). Very impressive for a firm this size.
    Wonderful culture! I plan on being at Enaxis for the long haul.

Cons

Don't really have any cons.
    Some senior managers/leaders could be better at coaching, communicating and advocating for their matrix.
    Would like to see a spring/summer picnic.

The principals do a great job of trying to stay connected with consultants. However, sometimes it feels forced and they "don't have the time" to spare.
    The mantra of wanting employees to be happy, especially in their assignments, could be reinforced by providing more opportunity to discuss how things are going, making it "safe" for employees to share dis-contentedness, seeking to understand to understand what actions the employee wants, and then acting on it.
    Would be nice for consultants to have more input on their project assignments.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

Thank you! Your feedback feedback was helpful.