Enaxis Consulting

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.7

Dhiren Shethia and Jonas Georgsson

First class colleagues in an culture of excellence

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having been at both larger and smaller consulting firms, I find that Enaxis is the right balance between the two. It has the right infrastructure to allow consultants to focus on their jobs, while presenting a wide range of growth opportunities. The diverse backgrounds and skill-sets present at Enaxis mean that we really can leverage each others' knowledge when needed. Additionally, there is a real focus on work life balance and ensuring that the employees don't burn out.

Cons

As the firm continues to grow, ensuring that the latest information is readily available to employees will be key to effective scaling. Additionally, building the necessary structures to continue to grow and mature consultants in a manner beneficial to the employee and the firm will be required to build the next set of Enaxis consultants.

Over the past year, we've done a good job making investments in the back office that allow for a more streamlined work environment. The company culture is excellent; as we grow we need to make sure we keep the maintenance of the company culture a focus.

Small Firm, Big Opportunity

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite being a smaller firm compared to typical IT or management consulting firms, Enaxis conducts itself as a large, established firm through its service offerings and client portfolio.

There is good opportunity for career advancement through gaining experience and developing skills on client engagements, training and company-sponsored certification courses, and firm development (business development, writing white papers, etc.).

Good work-life balance and focus on working hard, but understanding that everyone has a life, friends and family outside of work.

Cons

Senior Team and performance managers can engage their teams more to help ensure their goals are being achieved and provide guidance for career advancement.

Through continued growth, maintain what has made Enaxis a great place to work -- the family atmosphere.

Jan 22, 2015Talent Director

Appreciate the input!

Enaxis deserves its Houston Chronicle "Top Workplaces" award from 2014

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, camaraderie, local engagements, and flat hierarchy

Cons

The salary level is not that of top firms...but that's to be expected to a certain degree, considering the work/life balance emphasis and low travel. Visibility into progress towards short/long-term goals within the firm, drivers behind bonus determination, and communication from Senior Team to rest of firm can be lacking at times.

For attrition reduction, consider more visibility and direct communication about bonus expectations and goals process. When the firm does well, we should all do well.

Jan 22, 2015Talent Director

Thank you for your input!

Do Your Homework and Talk to Former Employees for Honest Reviews

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay for expensive office space to have social Fridays and as a base for social (drinking) events
    Definitely a place if you like to attend every drinking event they put on
    Great place to get staffed in project mgmt. in I.T. at Chevron

Cons

Owners do not apply their "core values" to themselves--they love employees to call them "brilliant" and support their ego--quick to threaten if you don't line up with their views
    They pressure employees to provide favorable reviews on the firm (many current employees, including myself, don't feel comfortable providing an honest view of the firm to candidates)
    Most of the profits go to the owners and their few favorites

Provide an ability for staff to judge the owners according to the core values
    Allow dissent
    Broaden the client base and get clients to stick with the firm

Unsupportive and not open to new ideas

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great office space downtown, free parking
    Snacks at the office.
    Most consultants are friendly

Cons

This firm promotes itself as being very open to new ideas, but is steadfast and firm in the way that it likes to do things. They focus much of their team building efforts around drinking alcohol, if you are not a drinker you will not fit in. Some of the consultants and senior managers hold back on information that you need to get your job done.

Be more open to new ideas and look for novel approaches to solving issues. Develop a mission and vision, not just have value statement. Be more honest in what you tell future employees concerning the scope of the work. There is very little management consulting and much menial work to be done, be honest with this instead of promising otherwise.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

We are sorry to read this review but thank you for taking the time to write it. Readers can get a good idea of the type of work we do by the White Papers listed on our website. We also encourage a ... More

Excellent work experience overall, I feel like part of a strong team with exemplary consulting skills.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time

Pros

Value offering to the client is immense. My colleagues are very high-caliber consultants, and it is a truly collaborative team. I have both reached out for and provided expertise in areas where a colleague (or me) felt their skills needed a boost. You are never out there alone on an assignment -- I feel like someone's got my back at all times. Training and continual education offerings are excellent. You really can grow here, if you have the right attitude and make the commitment.

Cons

Senior management is brilliant and personable, but often too busy to understand an issue in full. Everyone is spread thin, possibly an effect of such a dynamic firm. I work a lot -- not sure I have ever achieved that work-life balance that is talked about... Expectations could be made clearer; onboarding process is good, but has not covered enough.

Approach growth cautiously. Do whatever you can to not lose the collaborative, family-feeling that keeps so many of us there. Also, maybe spend some time with each of your consultants on a regular basis to maintain that personal touch, take one of your employees out for coffee every day.

Wonderful consulting firm - excellent leadership

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment of hard-working, ethical consultants.
    Hires smart people that will fit with the company values and atmosphere. Retains and rewards them if they follow through!
    Leadership really cares about well-being and happiness of all employees.
    Generous, fun, and familial atmosphere.
    Leadership is committed to training, professional growth and helping consultants get certified in several areas, which will help consultants be diversified and able to fit where needed, especially when clients tighten their belts an opportunities are scarce.
    Great opportunities for team bonding, happy hours, book club, charitable activities, fun runs, parties, etc.
    Nice offices, good technology.
    Leadership cares about continuous improvement, as evidenced by their annual employee survey and the corrective actions they take in response.
    Works hard to provide clear expectations, performance management. Impressed with supporting technology for back office functions (such as performance management, knowledge management, time/expense reporting, marketing, business development, etc.). Very impressive for a firm this size.
    Wonderful culture! I plan on being at Enaxis for the long haul.

Cons

Don't really have any cons.
    Some senior managers/leaders could be better at coaching, communicating and advocating for their matrix.
    Would like to see a spring/summer picnic.

The principals do a great job of trying to stay connected with consultants. However, sometimes it feels forced and they "don't have the time" to spare.
    The mantra of wanting employees to be happy, especially in their assignments, could be reinforced by providing more opportunity to discuss how things are going, making it "safe" for employees to share dis-contentedness, seeking to understand to understand what actions the employee wants, and then acting on it.
    Would be nice for consultants to have more input on their project assignments.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

Thank you! Your feedback feedback was helpful.

Very Deceitful

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Minimal travel, some decent coworkers, latest technology

Cons

Horrible management, fake reviews on this site (yes, the marketing guy wrote most of them), low pay, no ethics, not growing

Change the management - need people that can actually grow a company

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

Thank you for your review, we're sorry to hear this. We have grown about 25 - 30% for almost 4 years in a row, so we believe the management team is doing a great job of growing the company and ... More

Still the same ego-driven place

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low travel for most
    Can work in I.T. without deep technical skills
    Largest client (half their business) is a great credential

Cons

Benefits were very minimal though I hear they now have a 401K match.
    Profit sharing payments at the end of one year can be deducted from your bonus the next year; only a small number of "favorites" are paid decently, and if they don't like you, watch your bonus disappear
    Social events were used to judge how into the firm you were
    Watch out for the "culture": I was looking over the reviews and spoke to some former colleagues that are still there and it sounds like it's still the same old place. From the 4/16/11 review to the 2/15/13 review to the new 4/16/14 review, there has been no evolution of a self-centered group of owners that run the firm according to their egos and are not concerned about insulting and belittling those below them.

Realize the disconnect between your actions and your words and stop using the firm as a vehicle for your egos

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

We realize that there will be some unhappy folks who are no longer with us, but we hope readers will take the time to learn more about us and decide for themselves.

Extremely disappointed that representations upfront were wildly inaccurate--Be Careful

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only a few employees have to travel for business
    Work week for most junior employees averages only 50 hours per week
    Office facility in Houston is spacious and well located for many

Cons

Mostly I.T. staff augmentation work at a very small number of clients, not "management consulting"
    Compensation low and bonuses are seldom what is promised (many "discretionary" factors that are used against you)
    High turnover so constant change of colleagues
    Currently focused on oil & gas clients but no industry-specific expertise or training; mostly work in generic I.T. infrastructure areas
    Employees are all levels are subject to angry emotional tirades if they don't agree with a decision
    [the more negative reviews below are still accurate; positive current reviews are directed by the firm]

Present an honest, balance view to perspective employees and clients

Apr 25, 2014Talent Director

We would like to take the time to address this review since we find it to be overtly counter to what we deem as true. The work we do is true Management Consulting around IT, you can read white ... More