Enaxis Consulting Reviews

Updated February 13, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.2
Dhiren Shethia and Jonas Georgsson

Be very careful and do a lot of homework before considering this firm (not recommended)

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not bad place for a career transition, especially from the high travel life of management consulting firms
    If you're a "rah rah" for the firm type, you will get better reviews
    Expect only a 45-50 hour work week (40 for the client and 5-10 for the firm) but expect more work if you take vacations to make up for the time off (hours often limited since most clients don't allow billing over 40 hrs per week)
    Very few people have to travel
    If you have a role where you can bill beyond 40 hrs/week, you're a hero
    Some enjoyable happy hours and social events

Cons

Management not looking for feedback on anything of significance (all real decisions made by top two people behind closed doors)
    Perks and bonuses are minimal compared to larger firms
    Very few roles where you can demonstration what you can do--most client work is staffing positions where you are doing change mgmt. (presentations) or project management directly working for client personnel and evaluations are based on keeping the client person happy and hours billed
    No one wants to hear any real feedback from the staff
    Partners will not protect staff from abusive behavior by clients
    Very, very few (2?) repeat clients
    Training materials are poor and there are not individual training plans for everyone
    Senior managers and partners are always talking about each other behind their backs

Make it a policy that it will no longer be tolerated for manager, partners, and clients to yell at staff
    Stop trying to "spin" to employees and present honestly about the challenges the firm faces in finding sustainable growth

Culture of Mediocrity and Egos

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Firm is more of an IT staffing than a consulting firm so the hours are not as long as at the big consulting firms (but the pay and career opportunities are way lower also)
    Titles are inflated so if you were a sr. consultant at a big firm, you can easily get a manager title here (though Managers don't "manage" projects, they just have a higher bill rate)
    Firm likes to have people in the office on Fridays

Cons

Very little deep I.T. or industry expertise in the firm--no one to learn new skills from if you already have a strong background
    Selling mostly "bodies" and not "projects" to clients
    No path to being a "true" partner, i.e. no one can advance to the level of ownership and control of the 2 founders unlike in a management consulting firm; lots of backbiting and talking about each other at the senior levels--hierarchical, not collegial
    Watch out on Glassdoor, seems like they let the companies pick which reviews are shown first as "popular"

Stop "strongly encouraging" employees to talk up the company and make only positive comments about the firm; accept criticism

Staffing (not Consulting) Firm That Doesn't Have the Expertise They Claim

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Location is outside of downtown with good parking and many nearby restaurants
    A few colleagues are very nice and helpful

Cons

Presents itself as way more than it is--most of what they have done and do is very basic I.T. staffing
    No real Oil & Gas experience--Owner insisted a pumpjack was really a derrick and couldn't believe he was wrong
    Training, development, benefits are marginal compared to the major consulting firms

Honestly describe the work that they may do to applicants
    Tone down the owners' egos and start listening to the staff

Do Your Homework and Talk to Former Employees for Honest Reviews

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay for expensive office space to have social Fridays and as a base for social (drinking) events
    Definitely a place if you like to attend every drinking event they put on
    Great place to get staffed in project mgmt. in I.T. at Chevron

Cons

Owners do not apply their "core values" to themselves--they love employees to call them "brilliant" and support their ego--quick to threaten if you don't line up with their views
    They pressure employees to provide favorable reviews on the firm (many current employees, including myself, don't feel comfortable providing an honest view of the firm to candidates)
    Most of the profits go to the owners and their few favorites

Provide an ability for staff to judge the owners according to the core values
    Allow dissent
    Broaden the client base and get clients to stick with the firm

Still the same ego-driven place

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low travel for most
    Can work in I.T. without deep technical skills
    Largest client (half their business) is a great credential

Cons

Benefits were very minimal though I hear they now have a 401K match.
    Profit sharing payments at the end of one year can be deducted from your bonus the next year; only a small number of "favorites" are paid decently, and if they don't like you, watch your bonus disappear
    Social events were used to judge how into the firm you were
    Watch out for the "culture": I was looking over the reviews and spoke to some former colleagues that are still there and it sounds like it's still the same old place. From the 4/16/11 review to the 2/15/13 review to the new 4/16/14 review, there has been no evolution of a self-centered group of owners that run the firm according to their egos and are not concerned about insulting and belittling those below them.

Realize the disconnect between your actions and your words and stop using the firm as a vehicle for your egos

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

We realize that there will be some unhappy folks who are no longer with us, but we hope readers will take the time to learn more about us and decide for themselves.

Very Deceitful

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Minimal travel, some decent coworkers, latest technology

Cons

Horrible management, fake reviews on this site (yes, the marketing guy wrote most of them), low pay, no ethics, not growing

Change the management - need people that can actually grow a company

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

Thank you for your review, we're sorry to hear this. We have grown about 25 - 30% for almost 4 years in a row, so we believe the management team is doing a great job of growing the company and ... More

Extremely disappointed that representations upfront were wildly inaccurate--Be Careful

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only a few employees have to travel for business
    Work week for most junior employees averages only 50 hours per week
    Office facility in Houston is spacious and well located for many

Cons

Mostly I.T. staff augmentation work at a very small number of clients, not "management consulting"
    Compensation low and bonuses are seldom what is promised (many "discretionary" factors that are used against you)
    High turnover so constant change of colleagues
    Currently focused on oil & gas clients but no industry-specific expertise or training; mostly work in generic I.T. infrastructure areas
    Employees are all levels are subject to angry emotional tirades if they don't agree with a decision
    [the more negative reviews below are still accurate; positive current reviews are directed by the firm]

Present an honest, balance view to perspective employees and clients

Apr 25, 2014Talent Director

We would like to take the time to address this review since we find it to be overtly counter to what we deem as true. The work we do is true Management Consulting around IT, you can read white ... More

Very negative work environment

I worked at Enaxis Consulting

Pros

- Small firm, gets to know everyone, rather than just being a number
    - Excellent coworkers
    - Interesting projects to work on

Cons

- During economic hardship, decided to cut people's salary by 50% but still expecting them to be happy and put in 45 hrs a week. Meanwhile, one of the owners was buying a new 5,000 sq ft house in Bellaire City.
    - Extremely political. Promotion/project placement are based on whether the leadership likes the person, not the capabilities.
    - Cheap. Terrible/non-existent internal training and no external training offered (unless you are well connected).
    - Very negative work environment where management only pretends to care about the wellbeing of employees. Have heard the owner said: "we pay them enough for them not to complain."
    - Pays at 40hr/week but expects everyone to bill 45hrs a week to the client. The "up to" 10% bonus is suppose to compensate for the extra hours, but management finds any reason not to give it out. Examples include taking vacation/sickness (counts against total utilization if you take time off), not on a project, or that they just don't like you.

Hostile work environment where someone might yell at you for little reason. Or be extremely nice and then turn around and back stab you. Basically, in order to work/survive the place, bring in your own project or kiss up to the leadership.

Unsupportive and not open to new ideas

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great office space downtown, free parking
    Snacks at the office.
    Most consultants are friendly

Cons

This firm promotes itself as being very open to new ideas, but is steadfast and firm in the way that it likes to do things. They focus much of their team building efforts around drinking alcohol, if you are not a drinker you will not fit in. Some of the consultants and senior managers hold back on information that you need to get your job done.

Be more open to new ideas and look for novel approaches to solving issues. Develop a mission and vision, not just have value statement. Be more honest in what you tell future employees concerning the scope of the work. There is very little management consulting and much menial work to be done, be honest with this instead of promising otherwise.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Director

We are sorry to read this review but thank you for taking the time to write it. Readers can get a good idea of the type of work we do by the White Papers listed on our website. We also encourage a ... More

Dishonest Practices, bait and switch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Enaxis Consulting full-time

Pros

Contract opportunities with Houston's oil and gas players. Good place to start your career if you're undecided about where you're going

Cons

Most opportunities are staff augmentation. Bonus percentage is not 10% as pitched if you ever take a day off. Marketing processes still being developed, lack on internal synergies amongst staff, trust and a den of dishonesty and lies, catering to those who thrive in such cut throat back stabbing environments. Hire turnover rate, revolving door, most people just stay for a short while then leave.

Revamp internal ethical practices, marketing, pay, training and retention. Perhaps hiring a consultant company to identify and assess why people never stay and execute their recommended changes.