Encana

www.encana.com

Encana Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Encana – Canada – “Ecana calgary”

Doug Suttles

Pros
  • Great work-life balance for my position (Geologist)(in 16 reviews)

• EnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Large work/life balance benefits tended to promote a lackadaisical environment from some(in 4 reviews)

• Resources are mostly dry gas after years of poor management(in 3 reviews)

Smart people, good balance

IT Contractor (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI worked with very intelligent people and had a great manager. Good benefits and pay.

ConsRecent reorg, some communication issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep lines of communication open to employees.

Great benefits, but limited opportunities

IT Staff (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsBenefits are fantastic including 1st and 3rd Fridays off. Great office in Denver's Republic Plaza. Coworkers are professional and easy to work with. Upper management has been honest and open about current strategy and direction.

ConsVery limited opportunities for individuals in support roles, i.e. HR, IT, etc. Heavy bureaucracy and process slows down projects and initiatives. Management is focused on cost control and does not reward innovation. Decisions are made by consensus and individual ideas and contributions are not recognized.

Best job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, great culture, love the people.

ConsLeadership is improving but hasn't been great.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company to learn Oil & Gas Industry

Tax Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsEnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. They also give a very generous vacation package.

ConsThis company began going through a restructuring in 2013. It is uncertain if the work environment will stay the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for internal promotions. Most people enjoy working for the company but become disenchanted after being in the same position for more than five years without the possibility of any promotions.

Busy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are the best - good bunch of people to work with too - everyone takes pride in their work - dress is strict business casual.

Consleadership fell short for some areas, engineers seems to be the golden children - everyone else is a step child

Not for the faint at heart.....but a decent place to work.

ProsEncana has great benefits and the salary is good. The company also offers the 1st and 3rd Fridays off but don't expect to take those days off if you're within the Finance organization due to the month-end close schedule.

ConsIt's shameful Encana has been in the oil and gas industry for a number of years, but the company doesn't run like a well oiled machine. There's little to no consistency across the company but maybe this will change with direction from the new CEO and restructure efforts. In recent months, there have been hundreds of employees laid off but this will probably persist as the company continues to sell assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's imperative people placed in lead roles have solid oil and gas experience and proven management skills. The Finance organization tends to favor outside individuals with CPA certifications over employees with in depth oil and gas experience. It's important the highly regarded certifications are coupled with industry experience/acumen. There's nothing worse than training your "boss" on the fundamentals of oil and gas or not being able to use your boss as a resource.

Not for everyone, but still the best in the industry

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat opportunities and a bright future

ConsThe 'old guard' in the ranks need to get on board with the new strategy or get out of the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough not as exciting or sexy as being the 'innovator' or 'first to discover', being a quick and agile 'first follower' is a good strategy as long as the business process support that strategy.

Challenging and rewarding work

Supply Management (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFun people, 9/80 work schedule

ConsAmbiguous leadership directives, superficial atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Was a great company to work for.

Drilling Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat training programs and internships.

Consgot laid off in a corporate restructuring/downsizing event.

Advice to Senior ManagementWasn't a very well thought out downsizing since you are continuing to offer new grads jobs after you laid off all of last years new grads.

Hard to Leave

ProsEnCana has been a great place to work. The people their are the most talented and caring I have worked with.

ConsThere were none that were worth highlighting, every company has cons but at Encana none worth leaving over.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose that are in top management need to get out and know their teams.

Worked for Encana? Contribute to the Community!