Encana Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.9

Doug Suttles

Pros
  • Great work-life balance for my position (Geologist) (in 16 reviews)

• EnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Large work/life balance benefits tended to promote a lackadaisical environment from some (in 4 reviews)

• Resources are mostly dry gas after years of poor management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Dream Job

Current Employee - Division Order Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Division Order Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Encana has great pay and benefits! Hard work is highly rewarded. I've been promoted 4 times in the last 8 years. Encana has great vacation packages, every other Friday off, and free drinks and snacks for employees. I hope to spend the rest of my career at encana. Encana also contributes 13% to your 401k.

Cons

While restructuring the company the Plano office was closed and 20% of the workforce was laid off. I'm confident our CEO has made our company lean and is restoring us back to greatness. The Denver office is current having some growing pains.

There tends to be lots of bureaucracy at times with only the higher ups having the decision making power. You hire the best of the best, trust them to have more decision power.

Good place for an easy life

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Encana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great time off, good training, treat people well. Pay well.
    Can't beat the vacation. Industry leader. Good ramp up in comp to start. Great work life balance.

Cons

They have a hard time retaining experienced people which is challenging for mentorship.

Career paths aren't always strictly identified, compensation starts to drop off competitiveness the higher you go. Opportunities for advancement can thin considerably after a few years.

Highly bureaucratic.

Smart people, good balance

Former Employee - IT Contractor  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Encana as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I worked with very intelligent people and had a great manager. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

Recent reorg, some communication issues.

Keep lines of communication open to employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, but limited opportunities

Current Employee - IT Staff  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are fantastic including 1st and 3rd Fridays off. Great office in Denver's Republic Plaza. Coworkers are professional and easy to work with. Upper management has been honest and open about current strategy and direction.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for individuals in support roles, i.e. HR, IT, etc. Heavy bureaucracy and process slows down projects and initiatives. Management is focused on cost control and does not reward innovation. Decisions are made by consensus and individual ideas and contributions are not recognized.

Excellent company to learn Oil & Gas Industry

Current Employee - Tax Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

EnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. They also give a very generous vacation package.

Cons

This company began going through a restructuring in 2013. It is uncertain if the work environment will stay the same.

Provide opportunities for internal promotions. Most people enjoy working for the company but become disenchanted after being in the same position for more than five years without the possibility of any promotions.

Busy

I worked at Encana

Pros

Benefits are the best - good bunch of people to work with too - everyone takes pride in their work - dress is strict business casual.

Cons

leadership fell short for some areas, engineers seems to be the golden children - everyone else is a step child

Best job ever

I worked at Encana

Pros

Excellent benefits, great culture, love the people.

Cons

Leadership is improving but hasn't been great.

Not for everyone, but still the best in the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities and a bright future

Cons

The 'old guard' in the ranks need to get on board with the new strategy or get out of the way.

Although not as exciting or sexy as being the 'innovator' or 'first to discover', being a quick and agile 'first follower' is a good strategy as long as the business process support that strategy.

Not for the faint at heart.....but a decent place to work.

I have been working at Encana full-time

Pros

Encana has great benefits and the salary is good. The company also offers the 1st and 3rd Fridays off but don't expect to take those days off if you're within the Finance organization due to the month-end close schedule.

Cons

It's shameful Encana has been in the oil and gas industry for a number of years, but the company doesn't run like a well oiled machine. There's little to no consistency across the company but maybe this will change with direction from the new CEO and restructure efforts. In recent months, there have been hundreds of employees laid off but this will probably persist as the company continues to sell assets.

It's imperative people placed in lead roles have solid oil and gas experience and proven management skills. The Finance organization tends to favor outside individuals with CPA certifications over employees with in depth oil and gas experience. It's important the highly regarded certifications are coupled with industry experience/acumen. There's nothing worse than training your "boss" on the fundamentals of oil and gas or not being able to use your boss as a resource.

Challenging and rewarding work

Former Employee - Supply Management  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Supply Management in Denver, CO

I worked at Encana as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun people, 9/80 work schedule

Cons

Ambiguous leadership directives, superficial atmosphere

N/A

Worked for Encana? Contribute to the Community!