Encana Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.9

Doug Suttles

Pros
  • Great work-life balance for my position (Geologist) (in 18 reviews)

• EnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Large work/life balance benefits tended to promote a lackadaisical environment from some (in 4 reviews)

• The plano office is going through a tough time right now, with a lot of people quitting due to uncertainty (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A fair company to work for...

Former Employee - Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Encana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every other Friday off is nice. New CEO is doing a good job. Several VPs make you wonder how they got to where they are. However, a lot of poor ones were shown the door.

Cons

Decisions are made slowly. No real cons that I can think of unless you happen to report to an idiot.

Try to make sure the VP and Team Leads you select are truly qualifies.

Was a great place to work once...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Encana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k match and retirement programs, Vacation time and Fridays off.

Cons

Constant reorganizing, poor choices in management, leader's agendas are self-serving rather than for the benefit of the company. Long term incentives are not worth much.

Dream Job

Current Employee - Division Order Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Division Order Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Encana has great pay and benefits! Hard work is highly rewarded. I've been promoted 4 times in the last 8 years. Encana has great vacation packages, every other Friday off, and free drinks and snacks for employees. I hope to spend the rest of my career at encana. Encana also contributes 13% to your 401k.

Cons

While restructuring the company the Plano office was closed and 20% of the workforce was laid off. I'm confident our CEO has made our company lean and is restoring us back to greatness. The Denver office is current having some growing pains.

There tends to be lots of bureaucracy at times with only the higher ups having the decision making power. You hire the best of the best, trust them to have more decision power.

Good place for an easy life

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Encana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great time off, good training, treat people well. Pay well.
    Can't beat the vacation. Industry leader. Good ramp up in comp to start. Great work life balance.

Cons

They have a hard time retaining experienced people which is challenging for mentorship.

Career paths aren't always strictly identified, compensation starts to drop off competitiveness the higher you go. Opportunities for advancement can thin considerably after a few years.

Highly bureaucratic.

Smart people, good balance

Former Employee - IT Contractor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Encana as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with very intelligent people and had a great manager. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

Recent reorg, some communication issues.

Keep lines of communication open to employees.

Great benefits, but limited opportunities

Current Employee - IT Staff in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic including 1st and 3rd Fridays off. Great office in Denver's Republic Plaza. Coworkers are professional and easy to work with. Upper management has been honest and open about current strategy and direction.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for individuals in support roles, i.e. HR, IT, etc. Heavy bureaucracy and process slows down projects and initiatives. Management is focused on cost control and does not reward innovation. Decisions are made by consensus and individual ideas and contributions are not recognized.

Best job ever

I worked at Encana

Pros

Excellent benefits, great culture, love the people.

Cons

Leadership is improving but hasn't been great.

Excellent company to learn Oil & Gas Industry

Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Encana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

EnCana tries to help employees have a work life balance by closing the offices on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. They also give a very generous vacation package.

Cons

This company began going through a restructuring in 2013. It is uncertain if the work environment will stay the same.

Provide opportunities for internal promotions. Most people enjoy working for the company but become disenchanted after being in the same position for more than five years without the possibility of any promotions.

Busy

I worked at Encana

Pros

Benefits are the best - good bunch of people to work with too - everyone takes pride in their work - dress is strict business casual.

Cons

leadership fell short for some areas, engineers seems to be the golden children - everyone else is a step child

Not for the faint at heart.....but a decent place to work.

I have been working at Encana full-time

Pros

Encana has great benefits and the salary is good. The company also offers the 1st and 3rd Fridays off but don't expect to take those days off if you're within the Finance organization due to the month-end close schedule.

Cons

It's shameful Encana has been in the oil and gas industry for a number of years, but the company doesn't run like a well oiled machine. There's little to no consistency across the company but maybe this will change with direction from the new CEO and restructure efforts. In recent months, there have been hundreds of employees laid off but this will probably persist as the company continues to sell assets.

It's imperative people placed in lead roles have solid oil and gas experience and proven management skills. The Finance organization tends to favor outside individuals with CPA certifications over employees with in depth oil and gas experience. It's important the highly regarded certifications are coupled with industry experience/acumen. There's nothing worse than training your "boss" on the fundamentals of oil and gas or not being able to use your boss as a resource.

Encana Photos