Encompass Digital Media

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
2.0

Bill Tillson & Ed Horowitz

Great learning experience, and stepping stone.

I worked at Encompass Digital Media

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Not much room for growth.

Take advice of staff, be more approachable.

Lowest paid broadcast facility in Atlanta & surrounding area!!!

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is just a job, you will scrape by with the pay and it will barely cover the monthly bills. No room for anything extra.

Cons

Inexperienced, VERY young managers. This is often times their FIRST job out of college. Too many managers standing around doing nothing or fiddling with Facebook or texting on their phones. Turn over is extremely high as employees are fully aware that Turner, Weather Channel, Comcast, UP TV and local network affiliates pay 8 to 15k a year more than Encompass. Starting pay at Encompass for Master Control is 30k. They will tell you it is very competitive wage. Everyone knows this is not the case. There is few people at Encompass who have been there more than 5 to 6 years. Upper management needs to start listening to employees.

Start listening to your employees. Raise wages to be competitive with the rest of Atlanta and the surrounding markets. Train your managers in managerial skills.

Pretty good place to work, needs to be more organized

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Reasonable benefits
    Decent pay
    Up to 3% matching 401K
    Friendly co-workers
    Engaging work (at first)

Cons

The management appears to be disorganized and in disarray. Things get lost in the shuffle. We plan to do things but never do them. No one has time to explain or clarify assignments. I could seldom get a satisfactory explanation of existing systems because everyone was rushing around. Seems like everyone is doing a million things at once, and if you're new you will get lost and confused easily. And, at least for me, I started being assigned to things that didn't exactly fit the job description. Like very mundane, boring, repetitive things that I just couldn't do. I was hired as a software developer, and toward the end I was more of an administrative assistant than an actual developer. Coworkers were announcing their resignation and generally had a negative attitude toward the company. This rubbed off on me a bit and I became disengaged. Morale was low. Didn't seem like things were going to get better, there was really no time to make things better, so I handed in my resignation.

Rather than laying off extremely important people, either retain them or hire new people to take on their responsibilities. Don't dump or distribute the responsibilities of the people you couldn't afford on other employees. Reorganize the company in a more logical and sane way. Make sure that when you hire new people, someone is there to explain how things work. New people (or at least me) get lost and don't know what they're doing most of the time. There needs to be less chaos and more structure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be a great company but it just isn't

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A lot of really great/knowledgeable people work here. Depending on your location the pay is acceptable. The work is interesting and you can learn a lot in the trenches.

Cons

The necessary information to do the job isn't always readily available. It is common to see people shake their head and say "We don't communicate very well for a communications company" over an issue that could have been easily prevented. There really are no standards of performance or behavior, it's more of a free for all while management looks the other way. Being dedicated, going above and beyond and working hard is not generally recognized. Advancement and qualifications are not related. Vacation policy very limiting.

This is a niche type of industry and knowledgeable employees are an asset - maybe management should start treating them like they are. Dealing with problems and creating standard processes is a lot better strategy than just putting your head in the sand.

RUN! This place is the worst!

Current Employee - Master Control Operator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The working level people you interact with are great.

Cons

Management is clueless. The company is run by a mini Hitler!

Get rid of management and start over.

Good job, changing shifts all the time is difficult.

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time

Pros

Very good benefits package is offered.

Cons

Some jobs require sitting at a console for 8 - 10 hours at a time with only very short breaks. One supervisor I had suggested that I take only ten minutes to eat lunch, food and drink is not allowed at the work desks or consoles.

Most current job research shows that rotating shifts decreases productivity and accuracy.

Satelight truck builder

Former Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very casual atmosphere ice cream and barbeque socials

Cons

Everything is an emergency I never knew what was coming next.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most co workers are friendly. Most all of my managers have been super cool and easy to work with. Stress levels are kept to a minimum.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard.

Management's hands are pretty much tied, however I wish they would take more of an advocate role in taking whatever steps are necessary to improve hourly employees salaries.

My experience has gone from good when it was Crawford Communications, to bad, to worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time

Pros

I get a paycheck, and of the few "old timers" that are left, I like my fellow employees.

Cons

Lots of people of any seniority have left the company. LOTS! People are being shifted around and most of the new employees are $10-$12 dollars an hour, no benefit types. Hard to train and not satisfied in their positions for any length of time. Their inexperience is the cause of may errors and discrepancies. Moral is low and many people are still leaving and looking for other companies to work for. I neither feel secure here, or optimistic about the future of human beings in the company. It is all about profit that we are not seeing. Massive budget cuts in all areas and changes in benefits are happening. Best advice. Stay away.

I have no advice for management because I don't think that they care.

Its a paycheck.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with day to day.

Cons

Upper management is absolutely horrible. Every perk that we had under previous owners have been taken away. All they care about is the investors not the employees.

PLEASE sell us to a company that cares about the employees more than the investors!

Worked for Encompass Digital Media? Contribute to the Community!