Encore Capital Group

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent commitment to employees, Honest and highly involved Leadership, Focus on Growth, Compliance to Laws, Commitment to CBOR, Financially strong

Cons

Very fast paced changes, Critical projects are sometimes rushed through

Friendly environment and positive culture, however not without its challenges.

I have been working at Encore Capital Group

Pros

The workforce is friendly. The work environment is clean and safe. The company promotes healthy lifestyles through gym and race reimbursements.

Cons

Industry, financial services, is under a lot of scrutiny. Industry environment/dynamics are challenging. Workforce stress is elevated due to the increase in external pressures. Health benefits and compensation are mediocre.

No comment.

Fun While It Lasted

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a recruiter, I worked with some fantastic hiring managers, as well as intelligent, hard-working colleagues. The company prides itself on work-life balance and holds true to this for the most part. Lots of opportunities for gaining experience in new areas, such as helping to launch their CSR initiative, which was rewarding for me. Major focus on consumer interaction, which given their debt purchasing/collections business model, was refreshing and great to see. 50% 401(k) match is pretty good.

Cons

Truly dysfunctional HR management and process. Lots of ad hoc requests and administrative time-suck. Had a great manager that quit the company after lengthy disagreement with the director. The consultants they brought in to replace her were defunct. I found myself taking on lots of responsibilities that should not have belonged to me. A promotional opportunity promised to me ultimately proved nonexistent. Benefits were okay with the exception of 401(k) match. Could offer more perks to employees that would help to retain great people. The culture is highly analytical, which could be great for some, and bland/boring for others.

Focus more attention on sub-executive management employees, offering better perks to keep people more satisfied and not just plugging away like automatons. There is enormous focus on the bottom line at all times, which is often lost in translation for non-management employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with a lot of growing to do

Current Employee - Administrative Professional  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Professional in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is evident that leadership is working on shifting the culture by bringing in quality people but they should work on keeping these quality people. Managers are very supportive of Work Life balance which I like. The company is going through major growth right now and with expansion will come future opportunities in other areas. With the recent CEO being in place, I am positive things will happen as he has a strong demeanor and get it done attitude. But this change will take time.

Cons

The downside of the company going through major growth is that they internally are sluggishly trying to keep up with the capacity of their growth with limited internal resources. System implementations have been patchy and dysfunctional. Documented processes and controls are not very existent but the company is working on this. It is a bit sluggish of a process. The compensation and benefits are not competitive at all (with the exception of the 401K) and it appears they are using outdated salary ranges. Training and Development are really sad. There is not a clear career trajectory for much of any position at this company. However, I see they have been working on this within the key technical populations. The other functions not so much. Not sure how the careers of some folks will look because it seems they are starting to outsource a lot more and will all this international M&A activity, they definitely will be shifting some talent into cheaper markets.

Also for those that just enter the company, it is not family friendly at all. This is demotivating when you can even't bring your spouse to a holiday party or your family to a company picnic. Everything is employee only and honestly takes the excitement out of a lot of stuff. It's quite short lived.

Continue to work on the training and development of your employee base by providing more cross functional opportunities. Unless you are in an upper level position, it can be quite easy to get bored with your job. Revamping the compensation sooner than later is necessary or you will continue to lose talent for more competitive opportunities. Too many hands in the pot sometimes and other times a one man show for decision making. Come up with more detail processes to create uniformity and structure around activities. Too many things "left to interpretation" still. More family friendly events. Families are an important part of employee's lives and every now and then outside of work stress it's nice to share a moment with them and give you a reason to brag about how great a company you work for is.

good company

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

we have very good infrastucutre

Cons

need to concentrate on employee centricity

work on pepople now

Good if you want to be comfortable

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great coworkers. Everyone is friendly welcoming. There are decent employee events
    - Flexible work hours
    - Wellness incentives

Cons

- No real focus on training and development; if you want to pursue these opportunities, you have to fight to get them
    - Benefits and compensation; insurance is terrible (despite wellness incentives)
    - Communication in a large department - not everyone gets the right information at the right time
    - At least in this department, there is a high number of temporary employees which results in high turnover and constant training

Invest in your employees. Provide more opportunities for growth and training.
    Reconsider having a larger temporary workforce. This puts a lot of stress on the environment. We are in a constant stage of hiring and training. We haven't been able to develop the expertise and knowledge that one needs

Encore is a great company with great future

I have been working at Encore Capital Group

Pros

Working at Encore you learn a lot about all the departments and the company it self. All departments are connected somehow and you have potential to move around. Great 401K

Cons

Management is poor. Bad insurance. Changes on a monthly basis, whether its teams, managers, way of doing things.

Terrible

Former Employee - Legal Specialist  in  Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Legal Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Food That Makes You Gain Weight

Cons

During my interview process, I asked what the possibility of improving and growing was. I was told that the rate to grow here was high and fast pace. After a year of sitting at a computer, looking at my computer screen and pieces of paper non stop, and consistently asking for new challenges, I kept getting denied.

They tell you it's not about how many affidavits you do, it's about how well you do them. This is an absolute lie. They could care less about you as a person. All they want is for you to help them sue people so they can make billions of dollars.

They keep changing rules without telling you. Oh yeah, you first could take a day off without any putting in a week's notice, but all of a sudden you couldn't do this anymore. They never even mentioned a change in rules. They even stated you could call in due to weather with no disciplinary action. Now, you call in because it is 60 below zero and you live 50 miles away, and you get in trouble.

This place isn't family orientated. Sure, at first it SEEMS okay and a decent place to work, but people keep quitting and soon you will too.

Roughly three to five people quit a month. This should scare you. At this rate, this business is going to crumble and there will be no job security left for you..

Work to Life balance is insanely unfair. Overtime, for the last four years (since the department had opened), has never slowed down. There hasn't been a single month of no mandatory overtime. Be aware, your life will soon get hectic, stressful, and family problems will occur. Encore doesn't care about that. All they care about is the numbers and how many people they can sue so that they can get more money.

Want a raise? Too bad. After working here for more than year, I got the same hourly rate and if I got lucky, after a year and half, I may get 0.01% to 0.03%.

Want to get promoted? Act stupid. Yep! They only promote individuals with special needs (not literally). You'll see. You have a college degree? There's individuals there without college education that are getting paid more than you. You'll laugh once you see how many people there are getting paid more than you for goofing off and acting stupid.

Like to stay in shape? With the poor work/life balance, you're going to gain weight because you won't have time to go to the gym and workout.

You're also going to need glasses because starring at the computer screen all day, everyday, is going to strain your eyes.

Encore used to be fun, according to some, but now due to it buying out large companies (and trying to grow), they are stopping the "fun" it used to be and turning it into a prison.

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Stop The BS

Overall, the best company I have ever worked for, hands down

Former Employee - File Clerk  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - File Clerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent culture, at least in the Mission Valley location
    - Professional but fun, younger work force
    - Clean, new working environment with plenty of natural light (again at least in the Mission Valley tower location)
    - Keep your head down, do your work, and people WILL notice
    - Personally, I experienced very little micro-managing, but others' experiences may be different

Cons

- The language in the office can get a little colorful, but that is due to the very down to earth culture. Sort of comes with the territory. Might bother some people.

Unless the culture has changed since I left, you are doing wonderfully, in my opinion/experience. Think about language, however.

BSA

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative company with a lot of young people.

Cons

Sometimes management is a little overzealous with their management choices.

Worked for Encore Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!