www.encorecapital.com

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent commitment to employees, Honest and highly involved Leadership, Focus on Growth, Compliance to Laws, Commitment to CBOR, Financially strong

Cons

Very fast paced changes, Critical projects are sometimes rushed through

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great views (if you're working in the corporate office).

Cons

Non-supportive, experienced senior management. Terms like 'political' are often used as an excuse for rude, unprofessional or rude behavior.
    Lack of internal management and diversity training opportunities.

Learn to trust, support and guide all reporting staff.
    Note to CEO, it's ok to speak to your employees when you pass them in the hallways or ride the elevator with them.

It's debt collection! They don't practice what they preach. Money isn't everything.

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

The location is conveniently located in Mission Valley. Compensation package is reasonable. Some travel possible to other interesting international office locations.

Cons

Turnover is high: Some executives and managers are extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. They want soldiers and you have to put up with being mistreated, overworked and under-appreciated. A group in particular is terribly dysfunctional, full of finger-pointing and excuse-making. The few strong players have to pick up the slack of the many others who are either unable or unwilling to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

Listen to the feedback and take real action, don't just say you hear us. Don't be frugal with management and promote from within if they are not qualified and especially if they are not good with people. Just because they are good at their job, doesn't make them good at managing people doing their job. You get what you pay for and it costs much more in turnover.

Lengthy Interview Process

I have been working at Encore Capital Group

Pros

Senior Management and Executives appear competent and very knowledgable of their business. HR was helpful.

Cons

Interview process was very lengthy and then after negotiating salary I never heard back again. After calling several times they informed me the position was put on hold until further notice. Never heard back again.

Friendly environment and positive culture, however not without its challenges.

I have been working at Encore Capital Group

Pros

The workforce is friendly. The work environment is clean and safe. The company promotes healthy lifestyles through gym and race reimbursements.

Cons

Industry, financial services, is under a lot of scrutiny. Industry environment/dynamics are challenging. Workforce stress is elevated due to the increase in external pressures. Health benefits and compensation are mediocre.

No comment.

Fun While It Lasted

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a recruiter, I worked with some fantastic hiring managers, as well as intelligent, hard-working colleagues. The company prides itself on work-life balance and holds true to this for the most part. Lots of opportunities for gaining experience in new areas, such as helping to launch their CSR initiative, which was rewarding for me. Major focus on consumer interaction, which given their debt purchasing/collections business model, was refreshing and great to see. 50% 401(k) match is pretty good.

Cons

Truly dysfunctional HR management and process. Lots of ad hoc requests and administrative time-suck. Had a great manager that quit the company after lengthy disagreement with the director. The consultants they brought in to replace her were defunct. I found myself taking on lots of responsibilities that should not have belonged to me. A promotional opportunity promised to me ultimately proved nonexistent. Benefits were okay with the exception of 401(k) match. Could offer more perks to employees that would help to retain great people. The culture is highly analytical, which could be great for some, and bland/boring for others.

Focus more attention on sub-executive management employees, offering better perks to keep people more satisfied and not just plugging away like automatons. There is enormous focus on the bottom line at all times, which is often lost in translation for non-management employees.

Company with a lot of growing to do

Current Employee - Administrative Professional in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Professional in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is evident that leadership is working on shifting the culture by bringing in quality people but they should work on keeping these quality people. Managers are very supportive of Work Life balance which I like. The company is going through major growth right now and with expansion will come future opportunities in other areas. With the recent CEO being in place, I am positive things will happen as he has a strong demeanor and get it done attitude. But this change will take time.

Cons

The downside of the company going through major growth is that they internally are sluggishly trying to keep up with the capacity of their growth with limited internal resources. System implementations have been patchy and dysfunctional. Documented processes and controls are not very existent but the company is working on this. It is a bit sluggish of a process. The compensation and benefits are not competitive at all (with the exception of the 401K) and it appears they are using outdated salary ranges. Training and Development are really sad. There is not a clear career trajectory for much of any position at this company. However, I see they have been working on this within the key technical populations. The other functions not so much. Not sure how the careers of some folks will look because it seems they are starting to outsource a lot more and will all this international M&A activity, they definitely will be shifting some talent into cheaper markets.

Also for those that just enter the company, it is not family friendly at all. This is demotivating when you can even't bring your spouse to a holiday party or your family to a company picnic. Everything is employee only and honestly takes the excitement out of a lot of stuff. It's quite short lived.

Continue to work on the training and development of your employee base by providing more cross functional opportunities. Unless you are in an upper level position, it can be quite easy to get bored with your job. Revamping the compensation sooner than later is necessary or you will continue to lose talent for more competitive opportunities. Too many hands in the pot sometimes and other times a one man show for decision making. Come up with more detail processes to create uniformity and structure around activities. Too many things "left to interpretation" still. More family friendly events. Families are an important part of employee's lives and every now and then outside of work stress it's nice to share a moment with them and give you a reason to brag about how great a company you work for is.

good company

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

we have very good infrastucutre

Cons

need to concentrate on employee centricity

work on pepople now

Good if you want to be comfortable

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great coworkers. Everyone is friendly welcoming. There are decent employee events
    - Flexible work hours
    - Wellness incentives

Cons

- No real focus on training and development; if you want to pursue these opportunities, you have to fight to get them
    - Benefits and compensation; insurance is terrible (despite wellness incentives)
    - Communication in a large department - not everyone gets the right information at the right time
    - At least in this department, there is a high number of temporary employees which results in high turnover and constant training

Invest in your employees. Provide more opportunities for growth and training.
    Reconsider having a larger temporary workforce. This puts a lot of stress on the environment. We are in a constant stage of hiring and training. We haven't been able to develop the expertise and knowledge that one needs

Encore is a great company with great future

I have been working at Encore Capital Group

Pros

Working at Encore you learn a lot about all the departments and the company it self. All departments are connected somehow and you have potential to move around. Great 401K

Cons

Management is poor. Bad insurance. Changes on a monthly basis, whether its teams, managers, way of doing things.

Encore Capital Group Photos