Encore Capital Group

www.encorecapital.com

Encore Capital Group Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Encore Capital Group – “Working at Encore Capital”

Encore Capital Group President and CEO Kenneth A. Vecchione

Kenneth A. Vecchione

Great Company to work for

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent commitment to employees, Honest and highly involved Leadership, Focus on Growth, Compliance to Laws, Commitment to CBOR, Financially strong

ConsVery fast paced changes, Critical projects are sometimes rushed through

Fun While It Lasted

Recruiter (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAs a recruiter, I worked with some fantastic hiring managers, as well as intelligent, hard-working colleagues. The company prides itself on work-life balance and holds true to this for the most part. Lots of opportunities for gaining experience in new areas, such as helping to launch their CSR initiative, which was rewarding for me. Major focus on consumer interaction, which given their debt purchasing/collections business model, was refreshing and great to see. 50% 401(k) match is pretty good.

ConsTruly dysfunctional HR management and process. Lots of ad hoc requests and administrative time-suck. Had a great manager that quit the company after lengthy disagreement with the director. The consultants they brought in to replace her were defunct. I found myself taking on lots of responsibilities that should not have belonged to me. A promotional opportunity promised to me ultimately proved nonexistent. Benefits were okay with the exception of 401(k) match. Could offer more perks to employees that would help to retain great people. The culture is highly analytical, which could be great for some, and bland/boring for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more attention on sub-executive management employees, offering better perks to keep people more satisfied and not just plugging away like automatons. There is enormous focus on the bottom line at all times, which is often lost in translation for non-management employees.

good company

Proswe have very good infrastucutre

Consneed to concentrate on employee centricity

Advice to Senior Managementwork on pepople now

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if you want to be comfortable

Pros- Great coworkers. Everyone is friendly welcoming. There are decent employee events
    - Flexible work hours
    - Wellness incentives

Cons- No real focus on training and development; if you want to pursue these opportunities, you have to fight to get them
    - Benefits and compensation; insurance is terrible (despite wellness incentives)
    - Communication in a large department - not everyone gets the right information at the right time
    - At least in this department, there is a high number of temporary employees which results in high turnover and constant training

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Provide more opportunities for growth and training.
    Reconsider having a larger temporary workforce. This puts a lot of stress on the environment. We are in a constant stage of hiring and training. We haven't been able to develop the expertise and knowledge that one needs

Terrible

Legal Specialist (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

ProsFree Food That Makes You Gain Weight

ConsDuring my interview process, I asked what the possibility of improving and growing was. I was told that the rate to grow here was high and fast pace. After a year of sitting at a computer, looking at my computer screen and pieces of paper non stop, and consistently asking for new challenges, I kept getting denied.

They tell you it's not about how many affidavits you do, it's about how well you do them. This is an absolute lie. They could care less about you as a person. All they want is for you to help them sue people so they can make billions of dollars.

They keep changing rules without telling you. Oh yeah, you first could take a day off without any putting in a week's notice, but all of a sudden you couldn't do this anymore. They never even mentioned a change in rules. They even stated you could call in due to weather with no disciplinary action. Now, you call in because it is 60 below zero and you live 50 miles away, and you get in trouble.

This place isn't family orientated. Sure, at first it SEEMS okay and a decent place to work, but people keep quitting and soon you will too.

Roughly three to five people quit a month. This should scare you. At this rate, this business is going to crumble and there will be no job security left for you..

Work to Life balance is insanely unfair. Overtime, for the last four years (since the department had opened), has never slowed down. There hasn't been a single month of no mandatory overtime. Be aware, your life will soon get hectic, stressful, and family problems will occur. Encore doesn't care about that. All they care about is the numbers and how many people they can sue so that they can get more money.

Want a raise? Too bad. After working here for more than year, I got the same hourly rate and if I got lucky, after a year and half, I may get 0.01% to 0.03%.

Want to get promoted? Act stupid. Yep! They only promote individuals with special needs (not literally). You'll see. You have a college degree? There's individuals there without college education that are getting paid more than you. You'll laugh once you see how many people there are getting paid more than you for goofing off and acting stupid.

Like to stay in shape? With the poor work/life balance, you're going to gain weight because you won't have time to go to the gym and workout.

You're also going to need glasses because starring at the computer screen all day, everyday, is going to strain your eyes.

Encore used to be fun, according to some, but now due to it buying out large companies (and trying to grow), they are stopping the "fun" it used to be and turning it into a prison.

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop The BS

Encore is a great company with great future

ProsWorking at Encore you learn a lot about all the departments and the company it self. All departments are connected somehow and you have potential to move around. Great 401K

ConsManagement is poor. Bad insurance. Changes on a monthly basis, whether its teams, managers, way of doing things.

Overall, the best company I have ever worked for, hands down

File Clerk (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Excellent culture, at least in the Mission Valley location
    - Professional but fun, younger work force
    - Clean, new working environment with plenty of natural light (again at least in the Mission Valley tower location)
    - Keep your head down, do your work, and people WILL notice
    - Personally, I experienced very little micro-managing, but others' experiences may be different

Cons- The language in the office can get a little colorful, but that is due to the very down to earth culture. Sort of comes with the territory. Might bother some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless the culture has changed since I left, you are doing wonderfully, in my opinion/experience. Think about language, however.

BSA

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsInnovative company with a lot of young people.

ConsSometimes management is a little overzealous with their management choices.

Stable professional workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsStable company that is doing very well, great central San Diego location, professional and respectful employees and management.

ConsUnless you are middle management or above there is not a bonus structure, employees are given no stock options, 401 match is not so great, health insurance package is very weak for how large the company is.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about giving employees stock options and bonuses.

Admin Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat Company to work for! Lots of opportunity

ConsBenefits arent great wish we had more options

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more benefit options

Worked for Encore Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!