Encyclopædia Britannica Reviews

2.5
Jorge Cauz

Antiquated and stale

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time

Pros

The people are extremely nice. The product is respected, and the people are very intelligent. This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or someone who is looking to supplement earnings with an existing cashflow within their household.

Cons

Each department, although dependent on each other, acts like an island. There is no communication and pay is awful. There is not much room for advancement. Some ideas are antiquated, although they are slowly playing catch up, it is hard for them to try new tricks. Creativity seems to be a bad word here.

Offer better compensation and catch up with technology.

Combine staff social dysfunction, inert HR, and some severely hubristic individuals=meanness, rudeness, even harassment

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job duties of an encyclopeda editor are a dream to some. There are some very nice, smart people.

Cons

Editorial management does not want want to get involved in HR matters, neither does HR. I was being harassed by someone who was putting a clear, odorless lubricant-type substance in my cube for more than six months. I reported it to HR after a few weeks of it, they said I needed to document it, which could only be done with corroboration in touching it. My supervisor helped me for a while and then got tired of it. I was treated like I was exaggerating an insignificant problem. I was asked by an editorial manager, "What do you want us to do about it, sleep here by your cube?" The point was that management should have figured out a way to help me. Instead they left me alone to deal with it.

I was also treated rudely, meanly, and dismissively by some of the other workers. I have never been treated so poorly in a professional setting. It was shocking. I also found out there is a major gossip circuit there. It is a sick/ill work environment and now I know why so many people keep their heads down there (in addition to being socially unskilled).

You need to let the employees know that they can come to you if they are being mistreated by other employees. Editorial management is not human resources management.

3. Old company new tricks

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High work ethic, good values, good new products

Cons

Difficult being a publisher nowdays

Match 401k
    Getter better sales management

5. This industry is dying, like all of their print did.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and nice people.

Cons

The VP is a head strong stubborn bully.

Clean house from the top down. There are people that are clearly abusing their seniority as well as their popularity within the company.

6. Good Company, Good Value

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, good work-life balance

Cons

salary growth has been sluggish

7. Trapped in the past

Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Encyclopædia Britannica

Pros

Decent work / Life balance

Cons

Management has no idea on path company should be on
    Management has poor skill set and no strategic plans for company
    To much favoritism

Hire quality people and give them the autonomy to do their jobs.
    Address high turnover rate

8. digging its own grave

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica

Pros

flexible hours and great employees

Cons

no communication from management down
    probably lowest base salary in the field

respect your employees. without that and the extreme low morale...people will continue to leave

9. Wikipedia has nothing to fear

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica

Pros

The people are nice, perhaps nice to a fault. Casual dress, absolutely no pressure to produce. Perfect environment for a slacker.

Cons

Communication from the top down is abhorrent. Minimum vacation days, no accountability for those who do not perform. The strong employees carry the inept.

You must begin to think as if you are working to become a top flight company instead of a company that treads water.

10. Britannica Beware

I have been working at Encyclopædia Britannica

Pros

The people are what makes Britannica special. Also, dress code is very casual. For the most part you can come and go with what schedule works for you. If you are in certain depts. you could possibly worl part time or work from home.

Cons

Management is non communicative, leadership is non existent. The morale is way down to the low sales numbers. Each year they change territories are how the regions are set up...can be very frustrating. Do not match on your 401K.

Stop flip flopping on what they want to do. Be supportive. Inspire us to want to do better not make us fearful.

UK Office - Nepotism, Shady, rude, no recognition and traumatising

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Encyclopædia Britannica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sadly there are none. :(

Cons

I can't speak for the US office but the UK office is not healthy. I worked there for 4 and a half years, nepotism exists and it's extremely difficult to climb the ranks here because the management will squash any progression or pay rise opportunity. The work culture is very controlling and manipulative, their way of sleeping with the fishes is by setting people up and showing them the back door.

The management is rude, borderline racist, have no idea how to deal with cultural nuances, and live in the dark ages. There's a lot of politics and shady business going on in the background.

If you want commercial experience go elsewhere and if you go through any kind of trauma in your life be it a illness or tragic loss do not expect this company to have a duty of care towards you, they have no compassion or empathy and do not care about their employees well being or career progression.

Britannica UK is a typical business that has no human side to them.

Learn compassion, learn empathy, treat your staff better by celebrating them and you will have less turnaround, stop giving pay rises to the people that don't deserve it.

Remove the nepotism, stop being racist, get with the digital age and just stop being shady and your staff might trust you enough to stick around.

Give up the daily sermons, seek help from a professional for your sociopathic ethos and concepts.

It's taken me 5 years to write this review, i've only just recovered from the ordeal they put me through.