Endsight Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
3.3

CEO

So much fun, it's hard to call it work!

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Endsight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture: Geek minded folks focused on technology as well as comic books, movies, video games, etc.
    Lunches Provided: Twice a week, there is a lunch provided that offers something for everyone. On one day, there will be Greek, Thai, Hawaiian BBQ, or Chinese food. On the other day there is often a fast food option: Subway, El Pollo Loco, SF Soup Co.
    Snacks: Endsight revolves a weekly schedule of either a candy bowl or fruit bowl. They also keep a fridge stocked with beverages weekly.
    Great teamwork: Endsight's organizational structure is one in which I can work cohesively and in tandem with Response Center Account Specialists, TAMs, Senior NOC Engineers, and Senior Project Engineers.
    Management Open Door Policy: I can walk into any of the owner's offices at any time (if they aren't in a meeting) and discuss any matter that I wish. You can't say that about a lot of companies.
    Awesome activities: So many things to help get you through the work day. Whether it's ping pong, Playstation 4, old school Nintendo, exercise equipment, weights.
    Other events: Whether it's the Halloween costume contest, Monday Night Football, or the Flag Football League, Endsight has so many things going on, it's hard to not want to jump in and have fun.

I'd like to comment on the other comments on this site. It's kind of funny because the most recent negative comment mentions things like pizza (haven't had pizza provided in at least a year), the gym/shower (put in over a year ago), and Systems Administrators (a position that went away 5 years ago). I don't know why someone who hasn't been at the company in 2 years, would suddenly feel the urge to post a negative review. That axe has to be pretty well ground down to the stub by now.

Cons

I have to bring my own lunch a few days a week. Haha. There isn't a lot to complain about. If there is, you're probably a former disgruntled employee who resorts to making fake accounts and posting several negative reviews. Kinda sad, really.

Keep on keeping on. Your focus on the little things are reasons why people want to recruit friends to come work for Endsight.

Giant Shift in Core Values

Former Employee - Response Center Engineer
    Former Employee - Response Center Engineer

I worked at Endsight full-time

Pros

Core Values - Great on paper
    Plenty of learning opportunities (You get out what you put in)
    Events - A lot of fun things
    Free Lunches

Cons

The number one complaint would have to be politics. It was really surprising how much politics could spring forth from a company with less than 50 employees. You really had to make sure that you had a positive attitude and agree with the direction that the c-class wanted to take. In other words, you had to be a "yes" man. Those who dissented were ostracized and their reviews reflected it. Opportunities presented to c-class as chances for improvement were looked upon as having a "negative attitude". It became steadily worse when they decided to acquire a mediocre company and use that as growth. It was a difficult time for those who had been there before and worked themselves to the bone only to see that most of the benefits leaned to the employees that they folded into the company. Case in point: legacy employees requested computers and entertainment equipment and were summarily rejected many times over but the next big upgrade to the office was a gym and a shower that really saw the majority of the use by new people. That's just one example of many, and I don't know about you, but if you work your rear off to make profit to the company and said company uses those profits to benefit a whole slew of people who just came in, I'm sure you'd feel a little resentment too. All this led to a heavily unhealthy environment. Also, as soon as you're out the door, they talk garbage about you behind your back (believe me, I know because I checked in with some friends after I've left (in my department and outside), and the things I've heard said about me destroyed any resolution of me ever wanting to come back.

Core Values - They were good on paper, but left something to be desired in real life. A few of the c-class exemplified many of the concepts well. But I was shocked by the behavior of a few. It prods you to ask, "Why am I working so hard to line this guy's pockets?" I came to the correct conclusion shortly thereafter

Events - After a while, the events seemed forced. It was really difficult to attend many of these things because most of my team would work 10+ hours to resolve problems (the stuff that pays the bills) and the company would wonder why we weren't energized to go perform an event that little interested us.

Free lunches - again on paper was a good idea, but you would get looked down upon if you didn't immediately take that food and go back to work. I don't think this was true in any other department but ours. Also, it was looked down upon when you decided to go out instead of partake in the lunch. You can only eat "fresh" so many times or so much $5 dollar "pizza pizza" until it becomes repetitive.

Employment growth - unless you went to a different department, you would eventually hit a ceiling and the c-class couldn't justify to themselves why they would pay an RCE so much money when the reasons were quite obvious: the people you had above us were incompetent and would take credit for our work. There's a reason why many of your client would avoid your TAMs and Sys Admins (when that position was there) and ask help from an RCE. There's a reason why we'd have to save those same groups' collective behinds when they'd implement an inferior product incorrectly due to poor planning.

Employee benefits - I get it, it's a small company and it's difficult to negotiate a better rate. But still, I only used the insurance when I absolutely had to (I dropped over 3 grand in a single hospital stay). On top of paying over $250 in monthly premiums, the math just didn't add up.

Work life balance - Again, when you have to pick up the slack for the departments around you, you have to work a lot. There were no methods to compensate for that (mind you were were exempt, salaried employees). If we were on hourly, it'd be a different story because then we'd maybe have a decent life. Jusk ask the engineers and how they have to perform sub par work b/c of fears of going over their estimated hours.

Stay true to the values you once set.
    Look to your customers as business relationships and not bank accounts. Do right by the customer and don't always look to fleece them.
    Don't talk garbage about former employees, we've done hard work for you and your actions are ungrateful. Properly compensate us and then you're free to talk as much crap about us as you want. Until then, just say thanks.
    Show the employees who have been there the longest a little respect.
    The culture of the company you folded in was poisonous. Do a better job of evaluating potential new employees and listen to people with dissenting opinion.

Great place to work if you want to make a difference

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Endsight full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Small company so you can know everybody including the CEO
    Lots of exposure to computer networks and opportunities to improve them
    Lots of opportunities to be challenged, learn, and grow professionally
    Fun environment to work in and great people to work with

Cons

Traffic to get to work or to client sites
    Stressful situations when dealing with computer emergencies

Make sure you hold everyone to the same high standards of performance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I gained invaluable experience and knowledge and became a part of a team who had my back in every situation.

Former Employee - NOC Engineer  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - NOC Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Endsight full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are what make Endsight the amazing company that it is. There is a wealth and depth of knowledge there that would be hard to find at just any old company. Learning is encouraged, lunch is provided twice a week, personal reviews occur regularly so you know where you stand. There are many, many networks and technologies that you get to learn, and work on. There is a company tech blog that employees post to frequently, and the content is top notch. There is beer in the fridge to help one relax after a long day of brain pushups. There are several company events outside of work that occur throughout the year which are always a blast. Management is always thinking outside of the box trying to improve the company for the clients and the employees. Benefits are very good.

Cons

There was no direct advancement path to the position that I expressed was the right fit for my skills. I came in as a "Junior" engineer with a Military IT background and a CCNA, and I was never able to shake the "junior" position. They did offer me other positions, but none were the right fit.

Make sure the the smart minds aren't bogged down with tedious repetitive work, or they will get burned out (I'm not necessarily referring to myself). Increase the size of the NOC to lower User Initiated Incidents, as this is where the preventative maintenance will prevent phone calls. Become the IT provider for Berkeley Ironworks and give employees free memberships, or bonuses would suffice.

MSP = Dog Year Multiplier for IT Experience and Technical Exposure

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Endsight full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unlike a traditional internal IT position.
    In 1 year on the job you will have ~ 5 years experience in the industry.
    Deep and technically rich pool of client accounts to work with.
    Stability and professional growth.
    If your young and energetic with talent you can go far at Endsight.
    You will learn what it takes to professionally manage 130+ accounts.
    You will learn best practices from a company that is serious about technology, documentation, management systems and how to provide a very high level of service.

Cons

After 5 years at an MSP you might be ready for retirement or at least a change of pace.
    Once you reach the Account Manager level there is no opportunity for advancement.
    No bonuses or additional compensation for prepared, proposed and closed project work.
    Little opportunity to go deeper than the IT infrastructure level due to number of assigned accounts.

Put 2% of your annual net profit into a employee bonus pool. Bonus everyone on the same metrics - Client Satisfaction, Labor Load of Gross Margin and Retention. It would do a lot to ensure all departments were pulling the rope in the same direction. It would also be a boost to moral. Employees are aware of how well Endsight has done over the last 5 years...they would like to formally participate in the success.

Frustrating, High Turnover, Drama, Hypocritical

I have been working at Endsight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Events
    Happy Hour
    Free Lunches (at a cost of being told to keep working)

Cons

I've been with the company for a few years, giving the benefit of the doubt when mistakes are made by management. I've read reviews on the site last year when one of the biggest turn overs happened. Not just any turn over but the one flips a company 180 because a core team of people left. I've worked with those people closely and it's never been the same since. I do my best to take opinions and feedback with a grain of salt but some of the reviews that were removed here, were spot on. It just took time to realize from first hand experience and observations.

one of the biggest problems at the company is that drama is generated for entertainment. Gossiping and the blame game are frequent enough. teaming up to bully others? wow. I can see why some employees left with a sour taste in their mouth. some employees took pride in their work and defined the core values that the company wrote.

benefits - all i can say is, wait for a bill in the mail, then rate the benefits yourself.

technology - you can download a lot of free tools yourself at home. you have access to common programs like office and other small business tools. but don't get your hopes up in getting opportunities to get your hands on even mid size business software. you will easily hit a glass ceiling doing the same thing over and over again because of standardization across the clients. the company is cheap and doesn't want to spend money on good products. so yes, if your are new to IT, like any company, you think you have a lot to play with. 1-2 years and you'll think the latter.

morale is an issue but because if you don't put a fake smile on your face and love the company, it comes back to bite you. time and time again, we are told that feedback is important but it is later used against you. some people hold onto grudges when negative feedback is given.

turnover of clients and employees is a norm. when I talk to certain clients, they don't care for a referral, where as years ago, they rave about the company's service. the company doesn't invest enough time for new hires. they hire in a rush and quickly reacts to the situation. sometimes they hire people who are not a good fit.

to conclude this review, the past is what keeps me here because it WAS a good company to work for. now it's a dog eat dog world in here and each day that passes, the less I want to be with Endsight. I keep on hoping to work with great people like I have in the past that over-shadows all the flaws.

Take feedback as criticism, not personally

live up to your core values and not write them for others to read

don't pretend to try and care for employees, have a heart for those that really puts an effort in making the company different.

don't play favorites - it is very obvious

figure out who is hurting the company and pushing good employees away, and vice versa

don't sway new employees to post on this site to up the rating. some reviews are contradictive and obvious it was scripted.

reach out to those that made the company great and reconnect with them

Plenty of Opportunity to Learn at Endsight

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Endsight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Endsight's customer base covers a broad spectrum. They have some simple networks for green leafs to get their feet wet, as well as complex networks for a more experienced engineer to sink their teeth into. How many metaphors can I fit in a sentence?

While it is true that much is expected of you, as long as you have a decent work ethic there is plenty of fun to be had too. I believe management is really trying hard to make this a good company to work for.

Cons

Benefits leave something to be desired, but seemed to have been improving.

As the company gets bigger, office politics get more important :)

Show more people how connected you are to their day to day - I don't think everyone realizes.

A very challenging place to work

I have been working at Endsight

Pros

-Professional Services department has some excellent leadership. Sure, they can sometimes be brutally honest when you screw something up, but they work with you to own up to the problems and then move on to the next task. They live up to the name "Professional Services."

-There is a company-wide expectation to do right by the client. They do a post-project review session for every major project in order to make sure nothing was missed and that all documentation is in order.

-There is a lot of pressure to get the job done, however it is vastly balanced out by the sheer amount of knowledge you gain while on the job. I've learned a great deal, and am still learning thanks to the pressures of the job responsibilities. My long term career is stronger because of my time at Endsight.

-There has been some communication issues between the different teams across Endsight as other reviews have pointed out. But in recent months there has been some solid efforts and improvements to get things going. I think it's been visible in my day-to-day operations between the teams.

-They pay for certifications, which is a big plus to both employee and employer. This is something you keep even after you leave the company.

Cons

-I wish they had a better benefits package, especially when it comes to dependent coverage.

-There is a lot of pressure to work work work, and employees are praised for working over 40 hours per week. For the company, whose employees are mostly exempt, they highly encourage you to work extra hours.

-This leads into a lot of pressure to work while in your off hours or at home, with little time to balance work and personal life.

Work on making employees happy. I've seen too many people turn over while working here, mostly due to the pressures they feel are on them by management. I think management has its heart in the right spot, but encouraging a work/personal life balance will lead to a more loyal workforce.

Horrible company to work for

I have been working at Endsight

Pros

- company events

- It used to be the people but more good people are leaving. The ex-response center manager was heart of the company and it was sad to see him leave. Even though this is a currently a con, some of the employees he personally trained are still here, passing on his knowledge and belief of what a good tech should be. This shaped the company positively in the past. We miss you dearly.

- New techs trying to grow their skills. The exposure of hundreds of clients can be intense. There is a trade-off, but i think it is worth putting in the extra time to tackle and learn

Cons

- Workload is not balanced across departments / people. Some employees' workload seem a lot less compared to those carrying the weight for their team. The response center senior guys last year seem to carry the weight for all departments. the project team senior guys seem to never sleep or get any of the benefits because they are on the road most of the time.

- Low Morale. the original team who grew the company are all gone. The company will attempt to put a band-aid to "fix" morale issues but it's too late.

- Politics. Marketing. Selling. this defines the small company more than the core values that were preached to us. It doesn't feel like the client is the #1 focus. It doesn't feel like the employees are a priority as "everyone is replaceable". People are good at talking, but really bad at executing and delivering.

- Certifications. After losing the senior techs, some employees were pushed (almost forced) to get certifications so the company can stay partners with vendors for discount and benefits. Other employees did not have to; creating an unfair treatment in the workplace.

- Horrible worklife balance. This is one of the biggest problems at Endsight. While told we should balance our work/life, it's near impossible for some. some employees are favored and some add little value to the company. Some do more harm than good.

- Angry clients. Besides unhappy employees, a lot of clients are also very dissatisfied with the company's performance. It makes working here even harder. Smaller clients do not get the attention they deserve and bigger clients are leaving us. there is a big turnover rate.

- Hugh turnover rate. In less than a year. senior guys and new hires are leaving. About 30% of the people left. These are not your average tech. These are the people who made working at Endsight fun, challenging, and boosted morale.

- Low pay. Compared to the market average, Endsight nickel and dimes some employees.

- Horrible health benefits. Can't even call them "benefits".

- Listen to your employees. It is not just about selling.
    - Improve HR. It is almost non-existent. Very poor job in caring and execution. Good at talking.

Management is "Out of Touch" with work conditions

I have been working at Endsight

Pros

- Free lunch on Tuesday and Wednesdays
    - Free Mrs. Field Cookies on your birthday
    - Snacks and drinks
    - Work load is sufficient to keep you busy, and makes the day fly by
    - Location: Close to the Marina, not too far from CAL/Telegraph
    - Exposure to all of the latest technology while working with clients

Cons

- Record high attrition: Several employees including top level Senior Technicians in the Response Center have left the company due to poor management, politics and lack of companywide synergy

- Poor Work/Life balance: Employees are encouraged to work through their lunches and also stay after their shift has completed. This is to carry the weight of others. In fact, you will get reprimanded for not doing so. Also, while management is trying to ramp up your skills with in house training, you trade them your valuable lunch break. 8 hours of work with no break what so ever. We also have to work to cover the other employees while they are being trained, in other words forced to stay on the premise and work during lunch.

- Non established management: Management in the Response Center is constantly going through trial and error. I have yet to experience a system here that is stable and does not lead to several people quitting or getting fired. Right now, excessive pressure is being applied by management to increase performance in order to compensate for the loss of employees as well as clients. This in turn has impacted morale

- Low Morale: When you witness so many skilled people leave in such little time, it takes a toll on the motivation of the department. This also affects ones confidence in management’s ability to attract and maintain valuable resources. Also, there have been instances where management was not honest about someone's reason for leaving. The lack of companywide synergy does not help either

- Departmentalized and keep it that way: The politics of the company make it extremely difficult to work with employees from other departments. The experience dealing with other departments is that you must "own your own ticket, and don't bother me." Basically, you will get an annoyed reaction as you try obtaining some sort of assistance, or simply getting clarification on a issues. Thus, you are on your own

- Communication: The communication from the Field Engineers to the Response Center is unsatisfactory. There have been several instances where project work was done over the weekend and the Response Center was not notified. In turn, we get several calls come Monday from upset clients, yet we do not have a solid explanation or solution. Come to find out later that someone has made changes but did not inform us. This causes unnecessary stress for both the client and the Response Center

- Misleading potential new hires: An upbeat video with happy music playing while employees are shooting each other with Nerf guns and being jolly is shown to potential new hires during their orientation. However, the morale and atmosphere depicted in the video is far from the truth. What makes it even worse is that as an employee I'm aware of how the video is depicted, and what the real working atmosphere is like. What's bad is that some employees have actually tried to create that environment; maybe to live up to the video but it did not stick.

- Poor Compensation: The compensation for the Response Center is unsatisfactory. Per management, the Response Center is regarded as a Helpdesk level position, and therefore should be paid accordingly. The truth is, the Response Center is not just a junior level position, the role encompasses support for everything from servers, desktops, all aspects of networking, etc. Normally, in a full service shop with a Helpdesk, they are the first point of contact. Then, the issues get escalated to a Tier2 or Tier3 accordingly. However, at Endsight, there is no such thing. The Response Center is Tier1 through Tier3. The Field Engineers are not a point of escalation, but rather delegation because they are either familiar with the problem, have worked on it already as a result of a project, or they are onsite

- Medical Benefits: Horrible!

- Establish solid management
    - Create companywide synergy
    - Minimize politics
    - Improve communication
    - Pay competitive and accurate wages

Worked for Endsight? Contribute to the Community!