Endsight
www.endsight.net Berkeley, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Endsight Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Great place to work if you want to make a difference

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsSmall company so you can know everybody including the CEO
    Lots of exposure to computer networks and opportunities to improve them
    Lots of opportunities to be challenged, learn, and grow professionally
    Fun environment to work in and great people to work with

ConsTraffic to get to work or to client sites
    Stressful situations when dealing with computer emergencies

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you hold everyone to the same high standards of performance

I gained invaluable experience and knowledge and became a part of a team who had my back in every situation.

NOC Engineer (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsThe people are what make Endsight the amazing company that it is. There is a wealth and depth of knowledge there that would be hard to find at just any old company. Learning is encouraged, lunch is provided twice a week, personal reviews occur regularly so you know where you stand. There are many, many networks and technologies that you get to learn, and work on. There is a company tech blog that employees post to frequently, and the content is top notch. There is beer in the fridge to help one relax after a long day of brain pushups. There are several company events outside of work that occur throughout the year which are always a blast. Management is always thinking outside of the box trying to improve the company for the clients and the employees. Benefits are very good.

ConsThere was no direct advancement path to the position that I expressed was the right fit for my skills. I came in as a "Junior" engineer with a Military IT background and a CCNA, and I was never able to shake the "junior" position. They did offer me other positions, but none were the right fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the the smart minds aren't bogged down with tedious repetitive work, or they will get burned out (I'm not necessarily referring to myself). Increase the size of the NOC to lower User Initiated Incidents, as this is where the preventative maintenance will prevent phone calls. Become the IT provider for Berkeley Ironworks and give employees free memberships, or bonuses would suffice.

MSP = Dog Year Multiplier for IT Experience and Technical Exposure

Technical Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsUnlike a traditional internal IT position.
    In 1 year on the job you will have ~ 5 years experience in the industry.
    Deep and technically rich pool of client accounts to work with.
    Stability and professional growth.
    If your young and energetic with talent you can go far at Endsight.
    You will learn what it takes to professionally manage 130+ accounts.
    You will learn best practices from a company that is serious about technology, documentation, management systems and how to provide a very high level of service.

ConsAfter 5 years at an MSP you might be ready for retirement or at least a change of pace.
    Once you reach the Account Manager level there is no opportunity for advancement.
    No bonuses or additional compensation for prepared, proposed and closed project work.
    Little opportunity to go deeper than the IT infrastructure level due to number of assigned accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut 2% of your annual net profit into a employee bonus pool. Bonus everyone on the same metrics - Client Satisfaction, Labor Load of Gross Margin and Retention. It would do a lot to ensure all departments were pulling the rope in the same direction. It would also be a boost to moral. Employees are aware of how well Endsight has done over the last 5 years...they would like to formally participate in the success.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating, High Turnover, Drama, Hypocritical

ProsEvents
    Happy Hour
    Free Lunches (at a cost of being told to keep working)

ConsI've been with the company for a few years, giving the benefit of the doubt when mistakes are made by management. I've read reviews on the site last year when one of the biggest turn overs happened. Not just any turn over but the one flips a company 180 because a core team of people left. I've worked with those people closely and it's never been the same since. I do my best to take opinions and feedback with a grain of salt but some of the reviews that were removed here, were spot on. It just took time to realize from first hand experience and observations.

one of the biggest problems at the company is that drama is generated for entertainment. Gossiping and the blame game are frequent enough. teaming up to bully others? wow. I can see why some employees left with a sour taste in their mouth. some employees took pride in their work and defined the core values that the company wrote.

benefits - all i can say is, wait for a bill in the mail, then rate the benefits yourself.

technology - you can download a lot of free tools yourself at home. you have access to common programs like office and other small business tools. but don't get your hopes up in getting opportunities to get your hands on even mid size business software. you will easily hit a glass ceiling doing the same thing over and over again because of standardization across the clients. the company is cheap and doesn't want to spend money on good products. so yes, if your are new to IT, like any company, you think you have a lot to play with. 1-2 years and you'll think the latter.

morale is an issue but because if you don't put a fake smile on your face and love the company, it comes back to bite you. time and time again, we are told that feedback is important but it is later used against you. some people hold onto grudges when negative feedback is given.

turnover of clients and employees is a norm. when I talk to certain clients, they don't care for a referral, where as years ago, they rave about the company's service. the company doesn't invest enough time for new hires. they hire in a rush and quickly reacts to the situation. sometimes they hire people who are not a good fit.

to conclude this review, the past is what keeps me here because it WAS a good company to work for. now it's a dog eat dog world in here and each day that passes, the less I want to be with Endsight. I keep on hoping to work with great people like I have in the past that over-shadows all the flaws.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake feedback as criticism, not personally

live up to your core values and not write them for others to read

don't pretend to try and care for employees, have a heart for those that really puts an effort in making the company different.

don't play favorites - it is very obvious

figure out who is hurting the company and pushing good employees away, and vice versa

don't sway new employees to post on this site to up the rating. some reviews are contradictive and obvious it was scripted.

reach out to those that made the company great and reconnect with them

Plenty of Opportunity to Learn at Endsight

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsEndsight's customer base covers a broad spectrum. They have some simple networks for green leafs to get their feet wet, as well as complex networks for a more experienced engineer to sink their teeth into. How many metaphors can I fit in a sentence?

While it is true that much is expected of you, as long as you have a decent work ethic there is plenty of fun to be had too. I believe management is really trying hard to make this a good company to work for.

ConsBenefits leave something to be desired, but seemed to have been improving.

As the company gets bigger, office politics get more important :)

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more people how connected you are to their day to day - I don't think everyone realizes.

A very challenging place to work

Berkeley, CA

Pros-Professional Services department has some excellent leadership. Sure, they can sometimes be brutally honest when you screw something up, but they work with you to own up to the problems and then move on to the next task. They live up to the name "Professional Services."

-There is a company-wide expectation to do right by the client. They do a post-project review session for every major project in order to make sure nothing was missed and that all documentation is in order.

-There is a lot of pressure to get the job done, however it is vastly balanced out by the sheer amount of knowledge you gain while on the job. I've learned a great deal, and am still learning thanks to the pressures of the job responsibilities. My long term career is stronger because of my time at Endsight.

-There has been some communication issues between the different teams across Endsight as other reviews have pointed out. But in recent months there has been some solid efforts and improvements to get things going. I think it's been visible in my day-to-day operations between the teams.

-They pay for certifications, which is a big plus to both employee and employer. This is something you keep even after you leave the company.

Cons-I wish they had a better benefits package, especially when it comes to dependent coverage.

-There is a lot of pressure to work work work, and employees are praised for working over 40 hours per week. For the company, whose employees are mostly exempt, they highly encourage you to work extra hours.

-This leads into a lot of pressure to work while in your off hours or at home, with little time to balance work and personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making employees happy. I've seen too many people turn over while working here, mostly due to the pressures they feel are on them by management. I think management has its heart in the right spot, but encouraging a work/personal life balance will lead to a more loyal workforce.

Horrible company to work for

Berkeley, CA

Pros- company events

- It used to be the people but more good people are leaving. The ex-response center manager was heart of the company and it was sad to see him leave. Even though this is a currently a con, some of the employees he personally trained are still here, passing on his knowledge and belief of what a good tech should be. This shaped the company positively in the past. We miss you dearly.

- New techs trying to grow their skills. The exposure of hundreds of clients can be intense. There is a trade-off, but i think it is worth putting in the extra time to tackle and learn

Cons- Workload is not balanced across departments / people. Some employees' workload seem a lot less compared to those carrying the weight for their team. The response center senior guys last year seem to carry the weight for all departments. the project team senior guys seem to never sleep or get any of the benefits because they are on the road most of the time.

- Low Morale. the original team who grew the company are all gone. The company will attempt to put a band-aid to "fix" morale issues but it's too late.

- Politics. Marketing. Selling. this defines the small company more than the core values that were preached to us. It doesn't feel like the client is the #1 focus. It doesn't feel like the employees are a priority as "everyone is replaceable". People are good at talking, but really bad at executing and delivering.

- Certifications. After losing the senior techs, some employees were pushed (almost forced) to get certifications so the company can stay partners with vendors for discount and benefits. Other employees did not have to; creating an unfair treatment in the workplace.

- Horrible worklife balance. This is one of the biggest problems at Endsight. While told we should balance our work/life, it's near impossible for some. some employees are favored and some add little value to the company. Some do more harm than good.

- Angry clients. Besides unhappy employees, a lot of clients are also very dissatisfied with the company's performance. It makes working here even harder. Smaller clients do not get the attention they deserve and bigger clients are leaving us. there is a big turnover rate.

- Hugh turnover rate. In less than a year. senior guys and new hires are leaving. About 30% of the people left. These are not your average tech. These are the people who made working at Endsight fun, challenging, and boosted morale.

- Low pay. Compared to the market average, Endsight nickel and dimes some employees.

- Horrible health benefits. Can't even call them "benefits".

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to your employees. It is not just about selling.
    - Improve HR. It is almost non-existent. Very poor job in caring and execution. Good at talking.

Management is "Out of Touch" with work conditions

Berkeley, CA

Pros- Free lunch on Tuesday and Wednesdays
    - Free Mrs. Field Cookies on your birthday
    - Snacks and drinks
    - Work load is sufficient to keep you busy, and makes the day fly by
    - Location: Close to the Marina, not too far from CAL/Telegraph
    - Exposure to all of the latest technology while working with clients

Cons- Record high attrition: Several employees including top level Senior Technicians in the Response Center have left the company due to poor management, politics and lack of companywide synergy

- Poor Work/Life balance: Employees are encouraged to work through their lunches and also stay after their shift has completed. This is to carry the weight of others. In fact, you will get reprimanded for not doing so. Also, while management is trying to ramp up your skills with in house training, you trade them your valuable lunch break. 8 hours of work with no break what so ever. We also have to work to cover the other employees while they are being trained, in other words forced to stay on the premise and work during lunch.

- Non established management: Management in the Response Center is constantly going through trial and error. I have yet to experience a system here that is stable and does not lead to several people quitting or getting fired. Right now, excessive pressure is being applied by management to increase performance in order to compensate for the loss of employees as well as clients. This in turn has impacted morale

- Low Morale: When you witness so many skilled people leave in such little time, it takes a toll on the motivation of the department. This also affects ones confidence in management’s ability to attract and maintain valuable resources. Also, there have been instances where management was not honest about someone's reason for leaving. The lack of companywide synergy does not help either

- Departmentalized and keep it that way: The politics of the company make it extremely difficult to work with employees from other departments. The experience dealing with other departments is that you must "own your own ticket, and don't bother me." Basically, you will get an annoyed reaction as you try obtaining some sort of assistance, or simply getting clarification on a issues. Thus, you are on your own

- Communication: The communication from the Field Engineers to the Response Center is unsatisfactory. There have been several instances where project work was done over the weekend and the Response Center was not notified. In turn, we get several calls come Monday from upset clients, yet we do not have a solid explanation or solution. Come to find out later that someone has made changes but did not inform us. This causes unnecessary stress for both the client and the Response Center

- Misleading potential new hires: An upbeat video with happy music playing while employees are shooting each other with Nerf guns and being jolly is shown to potential new hires during their orientation. However, the morale and atmosphere depicted in the video is far from the truth. What makes it even worse is that as an employee I'm aware of how the video is depicted, and what the real working atmosphere is like. What's bad is that some employees have actually tried to create that environment; maybe to live up to the video but it did not stick.

- Poor Compensation: The compensation for the Response Center is unsatisfactory. Per management, the Response Center is regarded as a Helpdesk level position, and therefore should be paid accordingly. The truth is, the Response Center is not just a junior level position, the role encompasses support for everything from servers, desktops, all aspects of networking, etc. Normally, in a full service shop with a Helpdesk, they are the first point of contact. Then, the issues get escalated to a Tier2 or Tier3 accordingly. However, at Endsight, there is no such thing. The Response Center is Tier1 through Tier3. The Field Engineers are not a point of escalation, but rather delegation because they are either familiar with the problem, have worked on it already as a result of a project, or they are onsite

- Medical Benefits: Horrible!

Advice to Senior Management- Establish solid management
    - Create companywide synergy
    - Minimize politics
    - Improve communication
    - Pay competitive and accurate wages

A Great Company to Hire, A Terrible Place to Be Hired By

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsAs a company, EndSight is recognized as a leader in small-to-medium business IT support and having the company name on your resume is a boost for most IT professional.

ConsThe expectations and workload put on the shoulders of the systems administrators are highly unrealistic. Concerning management, a lot of improvements could be made in regards to employee relations and bonus structure. A great deal of disrespect, and often times disdain, is shown towards employees by C-level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the amount of work expected of employees, a great deal more respect for their skills, hours worked, and effort needs to be payed. IT is a tough field, there is enough pressure from the work and the customers/clients without having to deal with pressure from above and being forced to "manage your manager". Ease up, these are professionals and you should let them do what they do best.

Choose your career path

(Current Employee)

ProsGrowth is encouraged and management is keen on hiring and promoting from within. Management is very encouraging of employees choosing a career that makes sense for them and will provide you the training and mentorship to make that happen. It is often the case that when someone is no longer at their position it is because they have taken a job on the other side of the office.

Did I mention free lunch twice a week and a full service gym?

The option to telecommute when appropriate is a nice bonus.

ConsMeetings and huddles can be monotonous and time consuming.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep meetings and huddles brief.

Worked for Endsight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Endsight reviews and ratings. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Endsight employees.