Endurance International Group

Updated July 23, 2014

3.6

Endurance International Group CEO Hari Ravichandran
Hari Ravichandran

Pros
  • Free lunch at the end of every month (in 5 reviews)

• When we worked here it was awesome, good benefits, free food, a beer on Friday afternoon (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you just got offered a job here good luck (in 2 reviews)

• Too much emphasis on sales, not enough on tech support (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

EIG has treated me extremely well over the years.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

Pros

Culture, culture, culture. The culture that the direct leadership installed is the best in the business. Direct leadership has also been encouraging, supportive, transparent, and motivational. Could not ask for a better leadership team.

Cons

The "cons" are limited. At times, decisions made can cause one to question their long-term motives. Overall, EIG includes a lot of logic in their decisions.

Company management irresponsible and no vision

Former Employee - Vice President Finance Director Global Cost Accounting  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President Finance Director Global Cost Accounting in Burlington, MA

Pros

modern comfortable place to work, with many perks like free food and beverage

Cons

Executives have no business managing this company. Just because you can get the attention of Private Equity to acquire other successful companies is not an indication that you know how to manage to the next level

cash out and get out of managing a business you have no knowledge, experience or technical know how to perform

Great opportunity and high potential

Current Employee - Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of very professional employees with a great deal of knowledge. Departments are very specialized and projects are delegated concisely. Keeping brands operating the same as before, never making drastic changes.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time, the company is operating very well and I am very happy to work under EIG.

Knowledge should be passed between brands more to encourage collaboration.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced and lots of opportunity. You get what you put into it.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

Pros

Very laid back culture but still fast paced and never a dull moment. If you want to do something and you have ambition and a will to learn you can do almost anything here if you make your intentions known. If you want to get your hands into something you generally can if you discuss with your management team. Plenty of room to grow and make a career here.

Cons

Some of the brands are 24/7 and there are not a lot of clearly defined on-call schedules making nighttime phone calls almost inevitable for those in management. Some lower level positions could be better compensated but wages are steadily getting better.

Create more opportunities for advancement of individual's careers and retain good employees!

Wonderful Company! But Seems to Have One Glaring Flaw

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Fantastic culture!! It's somehow found a wonderful mix of "laid-back" and "professional". Employees are kind and genuinely caring toward one another. Sure there may be exceptions sometimes, but those exceptions are generally handled with understanding and respect. Quite a few "troublesome" employees have actually become wonderful people to work with as a result of management's efforts. It's nice to work around so many who genuinely care!

Management isn't shy about showing their appreciation for our hard work either. Occasional free lunches, holiday parties, contests (someone won a paid vacation to Vegas), and random seasonal "pick-me-ups" (like distributing ice-cream throughout the call center to celebrate summer) are just some of the ways that make even the most "ordinary" of employees feel valued and appreciated.

The company has grown incredibly fast, and many have found opportunities to grow with the company (promotions are common). Management recognizes many of the issues that come out of our "growing pains" and is allocating resources to try and resolve them.

For those of us that have been here for a while, it's incredibly to see how far the company has come. For those that have only been here for a little while, it's a little harder to see the change.

Cons

Money is a more significant decision driver than it should be. Not enough trust is placed on allowing "good ethics" to produce "good profits". We're very slowly moving in the right direction, but not fast enough to save a lot of good people from quitting or getting fired. There have been a significant amount of excellent employees who have been released from the company simply because they weren't meeting their sales quotas (which makes sense in a sales position, but not a technical support position). There's a significant amount of tension between tech agents and the sales quotas that are levied against them. We lose a lot of good people (both veteran and potential employees) because of it.

Also, much of the company's developmental resources are spent investigating new ways to make more money... which most often involve introducing one more thing to charge for rather than improving on something that already exists or getting rid of something that doesn't work. It's been horrendously challenging to convince the corporate level sales-minds that "more products" does not always mean "more money".

I would not recommend anyone to work here so long as mandatory sales metrics are in place for departments that ethically have nothing to do with sales. It's damaging the way we treat our customers, and their wallets.

The current business model seems to reflect the thought of, "Research to see what customers want then supply the demand in a more cost-efficient way than our competitors". Seriously, we've butchered some of our product launched simply because "we wanted the price point to look more attractive than competitor offers" (a certain hosting package bundled with a certain semi-compatible security product come to mind).

Innovate. Focus on quality more than you focus on value ("value" being the relation between "quality" and "price" in comparison to our competitors). Continue striving toward making the best product/service possible. Stop expanding so much and double your efforts improve the existing infrastructure. Don't be afraid to spend money in areas that need it, even if the return on investment is harder to calculate.

Be plain, honest, and upfront about what our product does. Evasively explaining important features like "unlimited bandwidth" or "unlimited disk space" only encourages customer distrust. When customers dig down to find out "what a product really does", they should be met with a feeling of "wow, that's amazing!" rather than a "oh, I thought it was supposed to be better".

The potential is there. Take the road less traveled in the corporate world. People will notice, and they will support it.

Great company that takes care of its customers and employees

Current Employee - Developer  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Burlington, MA

Pros

Great service to its customers, catered lunch, awesome headquarters, good benefits, flexibility to jump from project to project. Helpful and patient coworkers. Feeling like you help build/create something that is used frequently by millions of people.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen from time to time.

Some projects get dropped after weeks of full time attention, resulting in lost work / spinning wheels, which can be frustrating.

Consider daily shuttle service from Boston or Cambridge to Burlington and back.

Life changing

Former Employee - Applications Performance Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Performance Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

I have learned so much in the 3 years I have been with this company. My level of expertise technically is night and day from when they first gave me a chance and hired me. Sadly I had to move away to care for a sick parent, but because of the skill set I gained was able to easily get another job.

Cons

You do have to promote yourself a bit to get noticed, but closed mouths don't get fed.

Have more follow through. I think it would be better to not discuss upcoming changes until it will actually be implemented. The new promotion path is awesome!

Great place to work

Pros

Great company perks, free lunch, team outings, good benefits, and casual atmosphere. People are friendly and it's a place I enjoy coming to every day.

Cons

It's hard to think of cons at Endurance. Pay isn't as competitive as it could be. It would be nice to get more visits from the executives to the various brands.

A place filled with opportunity, and a bright future!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The laid back, non-strain office culture where you can come to work, and be yourself. Great work life balanace, as well as ability to progress without restrictions. An overall great place to work with even better people to work with.

Cons

The only con per say, if a con at all, is not being able to work as closely with those in the other brands currently as I would like to, however Im sure this is in the plans to come.

Continue to show your apprection of employees, as well as remain transparent. Keep up the good work.

If you find yourself working here, your job is transitional

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Endurance will initially continue to pay benefits you were receiving at the company that they acquire. They provide a decent severance package.

Cons

Endurance philosophy is to squeeze profit margins from their latest acquisitions so that they can leverage this cash flow to buy new acquisitions. This means that they will cut (possibly stop) development, remove , reduce staff, reduce benefits, close offices. Nothing is done toward career development or skills development at endurance. Decision making is centralized at the Burlington, MA headquarters. Knowledge loss is rampant, skeleton crews are left to support many systems that they may not have ever had any experience with. You will likely take on more work (from people who have left and whose jobs are not rehired for).

Management runs the company like it is a 100 person company (when it is 3500+). As such all decisions are made at the executive level for issues that should be made at lower levels were knowledge of the matters is greatest. More needs to be done to integrate acquisitions with the company and empower them with decision making to make their products work. All in all more money needs to be spent on R&D. Perhaps more attention should be given to organic growth and less to growth by acquisition.

Worked for Endurance International Group? Contribute to the Community!