EnerNOC

Be The First To
Add Photos

EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy

Tim Healy

Pros:
  • "Smart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "I can see how the work-life balance is geared towards a younger crowd"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you don't work in Boston, they can care less about you

ProsPlenty of Overtime if you were for the Network Operations team, specifically in the summer.

ConsIf you are a "remote" worker (California, Australia, etc) then don't expect them to truly care about your future at this company. I tried my hardest to stay at this company long term, but unfortunately since I was a "remote" employee that didn't work out. They are also at a stale mate when it comes to hiring full time employees.

Judging by all the hiring emails, they love to hire interns and throw you away after 3-6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop choke holding the budget

Great place to work

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat place, good environment,, good staff management!

ConsNothing in particular, Overall a good experience.

Operations lacks room for growth

Operations Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPeople - high energy, intelligent

ConsGrowth is difficult, management struggles to make tough decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate corporate changes to the company more effectively

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are looking to be challenged...

ProsIf you are looking for a fast-paced environment where you will be surrounded by smart and genuinely good people and if you want to be pushed beyond your limits, this might be the place for you.

ConsPeople who have left to work for other firms always tell me one of the first things they notice is how fast we were moving while we were at EnerNOC.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more leaders.

Great company that Values it's employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI worked in the Engineering department. I enjoyed working there and felt that managers respected employees and valued work life balance. I would consider working there again and have recommended it to friends and associates.

ConsWish that the front end UI wasn't developed with Flex, being so limited me personally in terms of technical advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in technology.

USED to be a good place to work. Not any more.

Operations (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsIf you are salary, you will have flexibility with your hours. Good pay for someone straight out of college. Decent (not great) perks.

ConsManagement (from junior to senior levels) have their own agenda, if you do not fit in it, WATCH OUT! The hours you are expected to work are crazy! (50-60+ work weeks are not uncommon) The company will do virtually NOTHING for employee retention. They let key contributors leave to save money rather than pay the going rate. Work/Family life balance, WHAT'S THAT? Ever work in a place where your peers review your performance and that determines your bonus or raise vs your manager doing it themselves? No? Because it should NEVER happen. If you are above 25 and looking for a career, STAY AWAY! If you are looking for a starter company to get your feet wet before moving on to a larger company (or smaller) you could do worse but the average length of employment is now sitting around 3 years. What does that say about the award for best places to work in Boston? Management shoved the company review down employees throats for employees to give positive reviews. and made it part of the year end company goal percentage of positive reviews or it would count negatively towards your bonus. Raises average around 2% annually while cost of living continues to rise to about 4% Don't let the positive reviews fool you, the majority of them are from junior employees or kids straight out of college with nothing to compare their current position to. This is a very young company but none the less it is a good ol' boys club. A fraternity that you are either in or not in. If you are not in, you are not valued or appreciated for your contributions. BEWARE of poor pay, below average raises and bonuses, decent but not great benefits, and HIGH employee turnover. (Good luck trying to advance or get promoted..see fraternity statement above) The best part of working at this company is the new office building with a great view of Boston Harbor, until they finish construction of the 3 buildings going up in front of it. Then, it will be just another building.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP! Treat your employees like professionals, stop letting them leave. Show them you value and appreciate them and they will stop leaving. The constant rehiring in nearly every department needs to stop. You are bleeding money right now and struggling to turn a profit.

It started out great and ended with the reveal of many, many lies

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThere is a lot of great talent that goes to work at, then leaves EnerNOC. If you are a Tuck alum, you will be taken care of here!

ConsAs the curtain got pulled back, we realized the wizard was just a bunch of smoke. Reference the FERC fine imposed in Dec 2012 (public info). Commissions paid to sales are based on only a fraction of what the company actually bills or registers a customer at (reference same Dec 2012 FERC fines discussing Demand Response registration)

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Your turnover of top talent over the past few years tells it all.

Not Worth it!

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSalary, travel, expenses never questioned, autonomy,

ConsWork environment, "Pump & Dump", not interested in customer concerns, just want to get the next contract

Advice to Senior ManagementStop applying 1950 "cold call" tactics to a modern day consultative sales environment if you want to sell anything other than DR to a non-DR customer

Yikes! Run for your life!

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThere are no pros to working here. Borderline ethics, management can't be trusted or believed. EnerNOC loves to promise one thing and not deliver, especially to the sales teams.

ConsIf you are considering working here, be advised that the benefits are lacking, the pay is below average and EnerNOC will treat you as a disposable commodity. Turnover is rapid and constant. Middle management thrives on backstabbing to get ahead. If you have to take a job here, get the experience and have an exit plan in place. Unless you have a top 5 MBA and the right pedigree, career advancement is impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up. No one really likes working for jerks.

Good smart people, upper management doesn't really care though

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people. Nice office and good perks.

ConsRepetitive work. Little or no guidance.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnerNOC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EnerNOC CEO Tim Healy. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by EnerNOC employees.