EnerNOC

Be The First To
Add Photos

EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy

Tim Healy

Pros:
  • "Smart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "I can see how the work-life balance is geared towards a younger crowd"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Smoke and mirrors

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time

ProsFree snacks and nice view of the harbor

ConsDon't be fooled by the shiny new office though, it's all a front to attract investors or potential buyers. Management are largely clueless, the technology is antiquated, held together by a couple of strings and nobody that works there understands how it works, most of the work are done by interns who don't know any better. But chances are this is all academic since there are budget cuts everywhere and a hiring freeze is in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind something else you suck at.

Admin Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at EnerNOC part-time for less than a year

ProsLots of perks, opportunity for promotion, tools available to do well

ConsBillable hours dictates everything. Not a lot of skills that are transferable elsewhere

dishonest SR Management, smoke and mirrors technology/products and career purgatory

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStanding desks and free office soda/coffee/snacks.

ConsTop leadership of sales/marketing drives a ton of people away, managing by fear and just basically bullying people. Top level management in general has a serious credibility/authenticity issue. The vibe among employees is so negative its hard to imagine why they get any awards as a "top place to work". There is a reason headcount turns over so frequently and people are so negative in their reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementRepent....then find a back-bone and a sense of right and wrong. Take some personal responsibility for the fact that when people leave or are fired....its a reflection of your immense shortcoming as managers...you hired them after all.

Smart people, interesting sector, challenging work place though

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart, talented employees, particularly in Energy Markets, Engineering and Reg Affairs
Good place to gain experience in these areas if you're early in your career

ConsFor a company with less than 1,000 employees, EnerNOC is incomprehensibly disorganized
Little opportunity for growth beyond the junior/mid levels
Pervasive lack of leadership that stems from the top (CEO)
No long term strategy at all.

Great place to work at

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Concord, CA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood mentors, great environment to work at, supports a lot of career development and professional growth. Awesome company culture.

ConsNo real disadvantage. However working for a small to mid size firm comes with its own challenges. One has to put in extra time and efforts at times to make a job successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work. Hope it remains the same in future

Smart people working together to do good.

User Experience Design Intern (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC as an intern for more than a year

ProsSmart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job

ConsNot a fan of the new location (Yet, it is growing though), though the building is

Overall good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EnerNOC

ProsFairly positive experience. I had the opportunity to lead projects in my first month. Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.

ConsWork hard can be taken overboard. You should not be expected to work 24/7. Has a bit of a "boys club" atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers, listen to your employees and let them know they are valuable. Give them time off. With that, they will work harder when on the clock.

Great Company, Great Team, Tough Industry

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you love the work we're doing, there's only one place to do it - EnerNOC! We're making the biggest impact in the industry
Having EnerNOC on your resume is career gold. It's a work hard, play hard culture that picks and develops leaders who are successful anywhere they go
It's a meritocracy - love it or hate it, your results determine your opportunities at EnerNOC and the opportunities for career advancement can be amazing

ConsIf you don't like change, you won't like this ride - it's a constant
It can be political at times - the work hard play hard culture tends to favor those who develop trusted personal relationships - pro and a con

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the stock price up!

What a waste of talent

Senior Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHonestly, I cannot think of a positive reason to work here.

ConsThere is not a place for people who want to move up in the company--especially if you didn't attend an Ivy-league school or consider the CEO, President and Sales VP personal friends.
Management is very egotistical and not interested in real change.
The Sales Team continues to have the goal posts changed on them by the CEO, who is the most disingenuous person I have ever met.
Sales Management is continually drafting new sales commission plans and employees are forced to accept them.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house on upper management. They have all been there too long and are not able to see beyond their own selfish and financial interests.

Unrealistic expectations and time frames make everyday a fire drill.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnerNOC has an awesome vision for the company and every individual contributer there are great people to work with.

ConsThe problem is the people you have to work for. Unrealistic expectation and you get treated like an easily replaceable cog.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be some sort of work/life separation. Telling someone they have to log into a system and manual check its status once every half hour, 24 hours a day, seven days a week is ridiculous in any environment.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnerNOC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EnerNOC CEO Tim Healy. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by EnerNOC employees.