EnerNOC

Be The First To
Add Photos

EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy

Tim Healy

Pros:
  • "Smart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "I can see how the work-life balance is geared towards a younger crowd"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The most successful company in clean tech!

Sales Leader (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than a year

ProsMost talented team you'll ever work with . . . seriously!
Doing well by doing good feels great at the end of the day
Fast growing organization with lots of career mobility
We crush our competition - nothing better than selling a superior product!

ConsWork hard, play hard culture - if you don't like bringing your A game every day alongside other talented people who want to move up then this is not your cup of tea
It's a roller coaster - one week the stock is up, the next it's down - kind of feels unnerving (but with over $100 million of cash on the balance sheet she's got good ballast!)

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your head high - there are some haters who leave bitter with their spirits broken but there's no other place in clean tech with your success story.

great people, great mission

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with people who are passionate, committed, and super smart
Using your powers for good - our mission "to change the way the world uses energy" isn't just a slogan
A fast paced environment in which you can really have an impact

ConsThe fast pace can take its toll if you're not careful - it's up to you to set boundaries to ensure work-life balance, because there's more than enough work to keep you busy

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent top hires and org changes are moving in the right direction, keep it up.

Excellent company.

I have been working at EnerNOC as an intern for less than a year

ProsFantastic group of people very driven to achieve the company goal of changing the way the world uses energy.

ConsI have none at this time.

Smart people and bad management

Engineer (Current Employee)
Walnut, CA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than a year

ProsNice to be in an energy-related services company that focuses on demand response, energy efficiency, commissioning and retrocommissioning and even software. From what I tell the teams throughout the company are young and smart. Stock prices are up, Up, UP!

ConsManagement can significantly improve direction of company

ups and downs, but definitely on the upswing!

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Working with bright, passionate people on projects that actually matter.
- Reasonable opportunities for advancement, if you're proactive about it.
- Managers genuinely care for staff, and work environment is pretty flexible

Cons- Frustrating pace of software development -- everyone has great ideas, and we have very limited resources for making those ideas a reality. This is improving, but remains a pain point.
- Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks
- Maintain silos within our various groups, creating small fiefdoms rather than a unified workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic about the vision for the company. If we're going to champion ourselves as a "technology leader", we need to actually be on the forefront of technology. We're not. Recognize our strengths in customer service and innovative business models, and design the corporate strategy around those instead of industry buzzwords.

House of cards

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a twenty word minimum for this section, so I am filling up space without actually naming one positive. This is because there are none and I do not want to create a false one.

ConsTake a look at the financials. This company has never and certainly will never be profitable. Margins are shrinking everywhere you look. ENOC was able to command a ridiculous share of demand response revenue two or even three years ago. This is no longer the case. Their efficiency product is thin and too expensive. Better companies are out there for the discerning consumer. Their supply product is virtually worthless. Most businesses can do their supply on their own for one tenth of the ENOC charges.

If you come to work here, you will be spinning your wheels at a thousand miles an hour (which isn't always a bad thing) for little or no comparative pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep raking in the cash for yourselves. Make sure turnover stays high. That way, you will never have to really pay anyone else.

A fast-paced ride in a booming clean tech company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with the smartest people in the industry on cutting edge SaaS technologies.

ConsThe fast-paced environment isn't for everyone. You need to bring your A-game or you won’t be able to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the relentless pursuit of top talent. Don’t follow the peer companies that are lowering their hiring standards due to hyper-growth. Our people are what make the company so great.

Opportunity for growth, new challenges and a great team

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time for more than a year

Pros- As other reviewers have said, the team here is unlike any other place I have worked. Highly motivated, driven, exceptionally intelligent people.
- It is a sink or swim environment, which may not be ideal for everyone, but talented workers thrive and make a name for themselves in the organization.
- We now have a 401K match!
- CEO, President, and other execs are very accessible. It's great to see the founders of the company in the kitchen and be able to chit chat about the business.
- Potential for growth is there if you seek out the right people and express an interest in other areas of the business.
- All in all, I love coming to work every day which I cannot say of previous jobs! Never a dull moment and I enjoy the fast-paced environment.

Cons- Still have a way to go with employee morale in certain departments due to a lack of mentoring, but it has greatly improved since I started here.
- I can see how the work-life balance is geared towards a younger crowd. It may be hard to manage this lifestyle with kids at home, but for young professionals the experience here is invaluable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employee suggestions. The 401K match was a great start and really improved employee morale. Also more company wide communications about when and where EnerNOC is being recognized and rewarded would go a long way.

Smart, driven team doing meaningful work on important issues

Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time

ProsEnerNOC is a mission driven organization full of smart, analytical people who are genuinely interested in doing the right thing by customers, each other, and the world. The culture is young, but people have a bias towards action and making fact based decisions. I've never been happier in my career than during my time at EnerNOC.

ConsThe company has really outgrown its current space in Boston, so things are going to feel crowded until the move this summer.

Fast-paced

Field Operations Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerNOC as an intern for less than a year

ProsTreat employees very well, laid-back atmosphere but very hardworking people, people are friendly

ConsBoston weather is annoying, work can be sporadic

Advice to Senior ManagementMy current manager is the best manager I have ever had. Hardworking, understanding, and wants to see the people who report to him succeed.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnerNOC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EnerNOC CEO Tim Healy. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by EnerNOC employees.