EnerNOC

Be The First To
Add Photos

EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy

Tim Healy

Pros:
  • "Smart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "I can see how the work-life balance is geared towards a younger crowd"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great People, even better location, fun perks but overworked

Boston, MA

ProsVery flexible with time off, kayak use in the harbor, amazing facilities, great young group of people.

ConsOverworked. It is expected that you answer your email all hours of the day and every request is urgent. Worked during my paid time off without a thank you. Long grinding hours with little back office support causes high turnover rates. The health care is awful (really it's the worst I have ever experienced).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet help in the back office. Sales is expanding and so should Finance, Legal, Contracts, Energy Markets etc. With the globalization of the company the continuing lack of back end support will cause some of your best people to leave because of burn out and cause major errors that could potentially lead to financial miss calculations.

Great place to work,

Energy Analyst Intern (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe work is interesting and EnerNOC is growing and developing fast. There are some innovative ideas and products being developed. Very nice office, with daily benefits from extra free lunch to happy hours every couple weeks (they give out a lot of beer).
    The managers are nice and in general it feels like a software company where the main goal is to keep the employees comfortable and happy. But at the same time they expect a lot of work from you.

ConsIt is hard work! You need to put in extra hours often and it is sometimes stressful.

Exciting work, smart colleagues, competitive atmosphere, Boston-centric

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent mission and vision, felt good to be a part of improving the energy grid. Lots of smart, sharp employees.

ConsUtilitarian/competitive attitude sometimes overshadowed "human-ness". Difficult to maintain work/life balance. Boston-centric leadership; if you aren't working in Boston, expect to receive your marching orders without considerable input/influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe electric grid is changing, but utilities are not going anywhere. Best to mobilize human resources required to maintain relationships and work with them instead of ignoring them or working against them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical Company, Great People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFull of smart, motivated people that want to make a difference in the world. Pay is fine.

ConsSame problems as most companies. Leadership has a hard time making choices. Works the best people into the ground. The startup phase was fun. It's hard to deal with these issues now.

Good but not the best

Applications Support Intern (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsVery friendly ambient. A lot of young people. I made friends with who I still talk to. There are many activities and a lot of happy hours.

ConsI think it is a little not organized as a company. It is growing so fast that people seem to loose controls and focus on what they should really be doing. The payment as intern is not good at all, 15$ hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more focused on details and what actually adds value to the company. Hire less interns or make them full time. The data analyst are just transferring data without learning anything tangible.

Great company with endless opportunities

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEnerNOC's explicitly states that it's looking for "Bright, Relentless, and Good" employees and that is exactly what you will find as part of the EnerNOC team. EnerNOC has assembled an incredibly collegial, smart and hard working group of employees that are passionate about what they do and the positive impact that they are having on changing the world. The company cares greatly about its employees, has designed an amazing physical work environment and offers endless professional opportunities up and across the organization. As a fast growing company in a rapidly evolving industry, hard working and curious professionals can find plentiful opportunities to develop in their careers.

ConsFor those people that are looking for a great work/life balance, EnerNOC Marketing may not be the best fit. It definitely does not require investment banking hours, but it's not a typical 9-5 either. Facetime is not important at all, but being efficient and productive is critical to success.

The organization is changing quickly and requires employees to be flexible and adaptable. If you require routine and don't deal well with change, joining the EnerNOC marketing team may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe spent a fair amount of time in Marketing planning all of the things that we were going to do in a given week, quarter, etc., but we probably didn't spend enough time planning the things that we were not going to do. We could have been more effective and productive if we had limited the scope of different roles within the team and more clearly communicated those definitions within the broader organization. With a bright and talented group in marketing, we often got pulled into interesting and important organizational projects. While it was exciting and satisfying, it distracted us from our core objectives and muddled the true responsibilities of many of the team members as perceived by employees outside of the direct marketing team.

Started out fine, ended up being the worst

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood opportunity for young people with the proper pedigree.

ConsDuplicitous, self serving middle management. Many people are out for themselves at the expense of those working below. There is absolutely zero opportunity for advancement for virtually everyone. There have been a few suspect 'promotions' for a select group of people who went to the right school. Turnover is exceptionally high.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind something worthwhile for your customers. The current slate of offerings are weak and thin.

A good place to work

Director of Business Development (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsOne of the few successful clean tech companies, well respected among its customers, very focused and driven work culture.

ConsManagement can sometimes close ranks, making it tough for employees in the rest of the organization to really feel ownership of the company and its achievements

Sales professionals beware

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood technology, proven real-time energy data collection and delivery. Excellent recruiting team, and decent benefits.

ConsSales organization execs are self-serving and out of touch. More of a dictatorship driven by fear than true leadership. Diminishing commissions, uncertain measurements, no salary increases. So, very high turn-over in the sales ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the people working for you. Sanity-check sales plans with veterans in the field. Value the knowledge and customer relationships of the people you drive away.

If you are looking to be challenged...

ProsIf you are looking for a fast-paced environment where you will be surrounded by smart and genuinely good people and if you want to be pushed beyond your limits, this might be the place for you.

ConsPeople who have left to work for other firms always tell me one of the first things they notice is how fast we were moving while we were at EnerNOC.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more leaders.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnerNOC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EnerNOC CEO Tim Healy. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by EnerNOC employees.