EnerNOC

Updated January 8, 2015
3.3

EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy
Tim Healy

Pros
  • Smart people, nice office and they make sure you have what you need to do your job (in 7 reviews)

• The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company culture & work life balance varies by work unit (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of vision and strategy from upper management communicated through the ranks (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Tough Job with not great benefits.

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Schedule
    - Located in Seaport

Cons

- Low Pay
    - Directors / Managers who are not knowledgeable in their field
    - Health Insurance and Benefits

No real plan. Everything and anything is due right now or was due 10 days ago. No thank you when working on time off or during non business hours. Really take advantage of employees. I see lot of talent going elsewhere after they gain some experience at EnerNOC.

Frequent change with a lack of vision

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible in terms of working from home or working slightly different hours.
    - Good people in general.

Cons

- Frequent reorgs are rolled out without clear direction or vision.
    - Thinks of itself as a big start up but is really a small corporate.
    - Does not value keeping talented employees.

Very smart people, good business, can be too political and feel like a cozy club for the management favorites.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues, some decent benefits, fun atmosphere

Cons

Favoritism, low pay, can be hard to move up the chain

A treat to work with people who know their stuff!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, insightful, respectful and experienced team members. Appreciate the contributions I made and the different perspective I offered. The materials and instructions they provided were top notch, making my job not only easy to do but fun as well.

Cons

Tight deadlines (but I knew they would be going into it).

great company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EnerNOC is a fun, fast and generally awesome. Embodies a work hard, play hard ethic. Very young colleagues and plenty of events keep things fun and ideas fresh.

On-site CSA drop-off, yoga courses, paddle boards and kayaks, incredible office space, local hubway and fun after hours spots are great on top of competitive pay and general benefits.

Cons

Some people say the office location is a bit out there, but it's a 10 minute walk to South Station. More conference rooms would be helpful at times but mostly it's OK. The company is expanding rapidly which can cause stress on a lot of groups, but growing pains > shrinking pains.

Great place to work,

Current Employee - Energy Analyst Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting and EnerNOC is growing and developing fast. There are some innovative ideas and products being developed. Very nice office, with daily benefits from extra free lunch to happy hours every couple weeks (they give out a lot of beer).
    The managers are nice and in general it feels like a software company where the main goal is to keep the employees comfortable and happy. But at the same time they expect a lot of work from you.

Cons

It is hard work! You need to put in extra hours often and it is sometimes stressful.

Exciting work, smart colleagues, competitive atmosphere, Boston-centric

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission and vision, felt good to be a part of improving the energy grid. Lots of smart, sharp employees.

Cons

Utilitarian/competitive attitude sometimes overshadowed "human-ness". Difficult to maintain work/life balance. Boston-centric leadership; if you aren't working in Boston, expect to receive your marching orders without considerable input/influence.

The electric grid is changing, but utilities are not going anywhere. Best to mobilize human resources required to maintain relationships and work with them instead of ignoring them or working against them.

Great People, even better location, fun perks but overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with time off, kayak use in the harbor, amazing facilities, great young group of people.

Cons

Overworked. It is expected that you answer your email all hours of the day and every request is urgent. Worked during my paid time off without a thank you. Long grinding hours with little back office support causes high turnover rates. The health care is awful (really it's the worst I have ever experienced).

Get help in the back office. Sales is expanding and so should Finance, Legal, Contracts, Energy Markets etc. With the globalization of the company the continuing lack of back end support will cause some of your best people to leave because of burn out and cause major errors that could potentially lead to financial miss calculations.

Typical Company, Great People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full of smart, motivated people that want to make a difference in the world. Pay is fine.

Cons

Same problems as most companies. Leadership has a hard time making choices. Works the best people into the ground. The startup phase was fun. It's hard to deal with these issues now.

Good but not the best

Former Employee - Applications Support Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly ambient. A lot of young people. I made friends with who I still talk to. There are many activities and a lot of happy hours.

Cons

I think it is a little not organized as a company. It is growing so fast that people seem to loose controls and focus on what they should really be doing. The payment as intern is not good at all, 15$ hour.

Be more focused on details and what actually adds value to the company. Hire less interns or make them full time. The data analyst are just transferring data without learning anything tangible.