EnerNOC

www.enernoc.com
Employer Engaged

Exciting work, smart colleagues, competitive atmosphere, Boston-centric

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission and vision, felt good to be a part of improving the energy grid. Lots of smart, sharp employees.

Cons

Utilitarian/competitive attitude sometimes overshadowed "human-ness". Difficult to maintain work/life balance. Boston-centric leadership; if you aren't working in Boston, expect to receive your marching orders without considerable input/influence.

The electric grid is changing, but utilities are not going anywhere. Best to mobilize human resources required to maintain relationships and work with them instead of ignoring them or working against them.

Great People, even better location, fun perks but overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with time off, kayak use in the harbor, amazing facilities, great young group of people.

Cons

Overworked. It is expected that you answer your email all hours of the day and every request is urgent. Worked during my paid time off without a thank you. Long grinding hours with little back office support causes high turnover rates. The health care is awful (really it's the worst I have ever experienced).

Get help in the back office. Sales is expanding and so should Finance, Legal, Contracts, Energy Markets etc. With the globalization of the company the continuing lack of back end support will cause some of your best people to leave because of burn out and cause major errors that could potentially lead to financial miss calculations.

Good but not the best

Former Intern - Applications Support Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Applications Support Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly ambient. A lot of young people. I made friends with who I still talk to. There are many activities and a lot of happy hours.

Cons

I think it is a little not organized as a company. It is growing so fast that people seem to loose controls and focus on what they should really be doing. The payment as intern is not good at all, 15$ hour.

Be more focused on details and what actually adds value to the company. Hire less interns or make them full time. The data analyst are just transferring data without learning anything tangible.

Typical Company, Great People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full of smart, motivated people that want to make a difference in the world. Pay is fine.

Cons

Same problems as most companies. Leadership has a hard time making choices. Works the best people into the ground. The startup phase was fun. It's hard to deal with these issues now.

Great company with endless opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

EnerNOC's explicitly states that it's looking for "Bright, Relentless, and Good" employees and that is exactly what you will find as part of the EnerNOC team. EnerNOC has assembled an incredibly collegial, smart and hard working group of employees that are passionate about what they do and the positive impact that they are having on changing the world. The company cares greatly about its employees, has designed an amazing physical work environment and offers endless professional opportunities up and across the organization. As a fast growing company in a rapidly evolving industry, hard working and curious professionals can find plentiful opportunities to develop in their careers.

Cons

For those people that are looking for a great work/life balance, EnerNOC Marketing may not be the best fit. It definitely does not require investment banking hours, but it's not a typical 9-5 either. Facetime is not important at all, but being efficient and productive is critical to success.

The organization is changing quickly and requires employees to be flexible and adaptable. If you require routine and don't deal well with change, joining the EnerNOC marketing team may not be the right fit for you.

We spent a fair amount of time in Marketing planning all of the things that we were going to do in a given week, quarter, etc., but we probably didn't spend enough time planning the things that we were not going to do. We could have been more effective and productive if we had limited the scope of different roles within the team and more clearly communicated those definitions within the broader organization. With a bright and talented group in marketing, we often got pulled into interesting and important organizational projects. While it was exciting and satisfying, it distracted us from our core objectives and muddled the true responsibilities of many of the team members as perceived by employees outside of the direct marketing team.

Started out fine, ended up being the worst

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for young people with the proper pedigree.

Cons

Duplicitous, self serving middle management. Many people are out for themselves at the expense of those working below. There is absolutely zero opportunity for advancement for virtually everyone. There have been a few suspect 'promotions' for a select group of people who went to the right school. Turnover is exceptionally high.

Find something worthwhile for your customers. The current slate of offerings are weak and thin.

A good place to work

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the few successful clean tech companies, well respected among its customers, very focused and driven work culture.

Cons

Management can sometimes close ranks, making it tough for employees in the rest of the organization to really feel ownership of the company and its achievements

Sales professionals beware

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology, proven real-time energy data collection and delivery. Excellent recruiting team, and decent benefits.

Cons

Sales organization execs are self-serving and out of touch. More of a dictatorship driven by fear than true leadership. Diminishing commissions, uncertain measurements, no salary increases. So, very high turn-over in the sales ranks.

Care more about the people working for you. Sanity-check sales plans with veterans in the field. Value the knowledge and customer relationships of the people you drive away.

If you are looking to be challenged...

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a fast-paced environment where you will be surrounded by smart and genuinely good people and if you want to be pushed beyond your limits, this might be the place for you.

Cons

People who have left to work for other firms always tell me one of the first things they notice is how fast we were moving while we were at EnerNOC.

Develop more leaders.

If you don't work in Boston, they can care less about you

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at EnerNOC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of Overtime if you were for the Network Operations team, specifically in the summer.

Cons

If you are a "remote" worker (California, Australia, etc) then don't expect them to truly care about your future at this company. I tried my hardest to stay at this company long term, but unfortunately since I was a "remote" employee that didn't work out. They are also at a stale mate when it comes to hiring full time employees.

Judging by all the hiring emails, they love to hire interns and throw you away after 3-6 months.

Stop choke holding the budget