EnerNOC Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Never a dull moment - for better or worse!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Dynamic, fast-paced working environment, with many opportunities to learn, especially now that the firm has brought on execs with outside experience in enterprise software. Hard-working, intellectually curious co-workers who don't take themselves too seriously. Personally, I don't think there's any company out there better positioned to make significant changes in the way the world (strictly speaking, large C&I enterprises and utilities) uses energy.

Cons

Lower-than-average comp and benefits. Constant organizational change has created headaches for many groups. Cyclical boom-and-bust in regulated grid operator markets has led directly to cycles of positivity and negativity among the work force. Internal processes and back-office systems have been a pain as the company moves into enterprise software. It can be hard to maintain the relentless pace of work!

Advice to Management

Stick with the commitment to transition toward enterprise software, but be patient with growth expectations -- we have a fantastic team and a compelling product in place, but need some runway to create traction and build demand for energy intelligence software in the marketplace.

2. Exciting to be part of a growing technology company with a good mission.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely bright team members and a casual, but focused, atmosphere- "We take our jobs but not ourselves seriously" rings true. Great for motivated individuals who want to gain experience and hold a lot of responsibility. It's truly a rewarding, exciting place to work, and employees are enthusiastic and optimistic about the company's future. Company is doing some really amazing things to change the way the world views and uses energy.

Cons

A new strategic direction, many acquisitions, and a growing customer base will surely test your ability to be comfortable with ambiguity! But that's the name of the game these days with younger, growing tech/software companies!

Exciting, growing company with potential to be even better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working here. The work is challenging and rewarding. People are passionate, smart and conscientious. It's a great to work somewhere that is making a positive impact on the world while still being a for-profit company.

Cons

The benefits are not the best compared to other places I've been. The 401k match is capped and the healthcare isn't the greatest either. There are some growing pains which may be a negative if you're looking for a structured, well organized company that's been doing the same thing for many years. Others, like myself, may not mind this.

Advice to Management

Beef up the benefits!

The mission and fast-paced culture make EnerNOC a ton of fun - but you have to be ready to commit yourself

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time

Pros

We're not only building a company from the ground up, we're building a new industry. We're solving arguably one of the biggest and most pressing challenges the world faces right now. How cool is that?! And because of our mission, we attract a lot of very smart, talented and driven folks who make working here very rewarding.

Cons

With so much growth and change come challenges... and some turmoil. But false starts and some wild goose chases are mixed in with killer ideas that keep EnerNOC vibrant and growing. So it's not for everyone. To succeed here and to enjoy it (as so many of us do) you have to be able to thrive this very dynamic and fast-paced environment.

Advice to Management

Slow down just a bit. We like the fast pace and dynamic work environment, but operating at 11 all the time can be a challenge even for the most driven employees.

Look elsewhere!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time

Pros

Free snacks, fruits, coffee, tea. Beer Fridays. (SOME of) the people are great. Nice location. Learning new skills.

Cons

I should have listened to the poor reviews before I started...they must have forced people to make good reviews to tip the scale. I feel as though I wasted my time here. The one thing I appreciate are the new skills I got that makes me more marketable. Everything is a fire drill - people want things yesterday and are impatient. Organizationally, I don't think they know what they're doing - there's constant re-org and changes and temporary fixes for everything instead of thinking in the long-term. They say they are open to new ideas and change, but they are definitely not. It's more like, "Yeah, that's nice, but we're not gonna listen/use your idea." People are overworked. No matter how hard you work, it's not appreciated. I wasted my time working in the wee hours of the morning and super late at night and on weekends since in return what was only noticed were any mistakes made. Benefits aren't great - rather expensive in my opinion. No training for new managers, so you may get stuck with a micromanager whose ego is off the wall. As a matter of fact, a lot of people here have the biggest egos I've seen. If your manager doesn't like you, watch out: you may be out of there before you know what hit you. All they care about is making more money; what about employee engagement, culture, work/life balance? Engaged employees are happy employees and happy employees stay. There is too much turnover. Also, please read the review titled: "Used to be a good place to work. Not any more." It's spot on.

Advice to Management

Implement Learning/Training & Development for managers and employees. Be more strategic in thinking long-term. Keep employees engaged and listen to feedback so they feel valued. And how about actually acknowledging your employees in the hallway!

EnerNOC Response

May 3, 2015 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you candid feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post as we are always looking for ways we can enhance the employee experience.

Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time

Pros

The company conducts business in fascinating markets. There are many opportunities to learn about utility markets. The Boston office is relatively new and the office space is nice. There are pockets of really really good people in this company. The founders of the company are incredibly good at lobbying, which is useful in markets that are heavily regulated.

Cons

The office politics are completely out of control, driven by a few people who have worked there too long and who have little/no previous experience in well run businesses. Nearly every piece of operating technology or business process is broken or cobbled together. There is no champion for customer experience, and most employees are more worried about protecting their image vs. building better, stronger external business relationships. Turnover is high, so expect to spend a lot of time chasing your tail. Effective cross-functional communication between Product, Operations, Engineering and Marketing is virtually non-existent. Because employees rely on informal systems so much to get their jobs done, the politics is amplified. Vision for the company is completely split between demand response and a new Energy Intelligence Software SAAS business model. My advice to a friend would be, "stay away from this political carnival". My advice to a potential customer for a demand response company or more transparency into their energy spend would be, "shop around".

Advice to Management

Connect with your business. Communicate regularly with folks at a working level. Capitalizing on business opportunities with geographic expansions and acquisitions requires a strong foundation. Spend a few quarters building a strong foundation. Your turnover rates in employees and customers is completely unsustainable, and it accurately reflects the quality of your business. Take a pay cut until this shop is right.

Great people to work with but culture is lacking

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there was one of the best parts of the job. There are a lot of young smart people and the atmosphere is friendly. There are fun interesting projects that being incubated within the company and there are some very smart senior people who try to make a change. I experienced opportunities to take on new challenges by asking (this may not be true for all groups). Those who showed great promise and talent were always promoted.

Cons

There never was a cohesive culture or camaraderie across groups; each group works in a silo. There are tedious parts of the work that left many employees feel overqualified. There was around a two year cycle were many of the newer employees (less than 4 years experience) would leave for more challenging, higher paying or more interesting jobs. Executive and upper management is not in touch with the employees. The employees not feel confident in messages the company tries to send. Mid management might be a bit bloated but is more in touch with the employees needs and wants, though that doesn't mean they can deliver change.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the lives of the employees. Hire with diversity (age, gender, race, experience, etc.) in mind in order to stay competitive and creative.

EnerNOC Response

May 3, 2015 – Director, Talent Acquisition

thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Diversity is extremely important to us and is a key initiative for this year.

9. Great company culture

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, awesome culture that I haven't seen repeated elsewhere

Cons

Dissension among leadership when I was there that seems to have been resolved now

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

10. Good peer group and management

Pros

People are constantly trying to improve upon processes and invite feedback from everyone regardless of position.

Cons

The software engineering group is almost exclusively located in Boston

11. An Excellent Place to Work

Pros

Great culture, great people, solving real world energy issues that impact the environment and pocket book

Cons

Evolution of utility industry pacing the adoption of new tools and concepts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; link products and services to operational benefits utilities can see and count.

RSS Feed </> Embed