EnerNOC Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Tough Job with not great benefits.

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Schedule - Located in Seaport

Cons

- Low Pay - Directors / Managers who are not knowledgeable in their field - Health Insurance and Benefits

Advice to Management

No real plan. Everything and anything is due right now or was due 10 days ago. No thank you when working on time off or during non business hours. Really take advantage of employees. I see lot of talent going elsewhere after they gain some experience at EnerNOC.

Frequent change with a lack of vision

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible in terms of working from home or working slightly different hours. - Good people in general.

Cons

- Frequent reorgs are rolled out without clear direction or vision. - Thinks of itself as a big start up but is really a small corporate. - Does not value keeping talented employees.

3. Very smart people, good business, can be too political and feel like a cozy club for the management favorites.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues, some decent benefits, fun atmosphere

Cons

Favoritism, low pay, can be hard to move up the chain

5. great company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EnerNOC is a fun, fast and generally awesome. Embodies a work hard, play hard ethic. Very young colleagues and plenty of events keep things fun and ideas fresh. On-site CSA drop-off, yoga courses, paddle boards and kayaks, incredible office space, local hubway and fun after hours spots are great on top of competitive pay and general benefits.

Cons

Some people say the office location is a bit out there, but it's a 10 minute walk to South Station. More conference rooms would be helpful at times but mostly it's OK. The company is expanding rapidly which can cause stress on a lot of groups, but growing pains > shrinking pains.

6. Great place to work,

Current Employee - Energy Analyst Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting and EnerNOC is growing and developing fast. There are some innovative ideas and products being developed. Very nice office, with daily benefits from extra free lunch to happy hours every couple weeks (they give out a lot of beer). The managers are nice and in general it feels like a software company where the main goal is to keep the employees comfortable and happy. But at the same time they expect a lot of work from you.

Cons

It is hard work! You need to put in extra hours often and it is sometimes stressful.

7. Exciting work, smart colleagues, competitive atmosphere, Boston-centric

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission and vision, felt good to be a part of improving the energy grid. Lots of smart, sharp employees.

Cons

Utilitarian/competitive attitude sometimes overshadowed "human-ness". Difficult to maintain work/life balance. Boston-centric leadership; if you aren't working in Boston, expect to receive your marching orders without considerable input/influence.

Advice to Management

The electric grid is changing, but utilities are not going anywhere. Best to mobilize human resources required to maintain relationships and work with them instead of ignoring them or working against them.

Great People, even better location, fun perks but overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with time off, kayak use in the harbor, amazing facilities, great young group of people.

Cons

Overworked. It is expected that you answer your email all hours of the day and every request is urgent. Worked during my paid time off without a thank you. Long grinding hours with little back office support causes high turnover rates. The health care is awful (really it's the worst I have ever experienced).

Advice to Management

Get help in the back office. Sales is expanding and so should Finance, Legal, Contracts, Energy Markets etc. With the globalization of the company the continuing lack of back end support will cause some of your best people to leave because of burn out and cause major errors that could potentially lead to financial miss calculations.

Typical Company, Great People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full of smart, motivated people that want to make a difference in the world. Pay is fine.

Cons

Same problems as most companies. Leadership has a hard time making choices. Works the best people into the ground. The startup phase was fun. It's hard to deal with these issues now.

Great company with endless opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EnerNOC's explicitly states that it's looking for "Bright, Relentless, and Good" employees and that is exactly what you will find as part of the EnerNOC team. EnerNOC has assembled an incredibly collegial, smart and hard working group of employees that are passionate about what they do and the positive impact that they are having on changing the world. The company cares greatly about its employees, has designed an amazing physical work environment and offers endless professional opportunities up and across the organization. As a fast growing company in a rapidly evolving industry, hard working and curious professionals can find plentiful opportunities to develop in their careers.

Cons

For those people that are looking for a great work/life balance, EnerNOC Marketing may not be the best fit. It definitely does not require investment banking hours, but it's not a typical 9-5 either. Facetime is not important at all, but being efficient and productive is critical to success. The organization is changing quickly and requires employees to be flexible and adaptable. If you require routine and don't deal well with change, joining the EnerNOC marketing team may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

We spent a fair amount of time in Marketing planning all of the things that we were going to do in a given week, quarter, etc., but we probably didn't spend enough time planning the things that we were not going to do. We could have been more effective and productive if we had limited the scope of different roles within the team and more clearly communicated those definitions within the broader organization. With a bright and talented group in marketing, we often got pulled into interesting and important organizational projects. While it was exciting and satisfying, it distracted us from our core objectives and muddled the true responsibilities of many of the team members as perceived by employees outside of the direct marketing team.

Started out fine, ended up being the worst

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for young people with the proper pedigree.

Cons

Duplicitous, self serving middle management. Many people are out for themselves at the expense of those working below. There is absolutely zero opportunity for advancement for virtually everyone. There have been a few suspect 'promotions' for a select group of people who went to the right school. Turnover is exceptionally high.

Advice to Management

Find something worthwhile for your customers. The current slate of offerings are weak and thin.

RSS Feed </> Embed