EnerPath

EnerPath Founder & CEO Stephen Guthrie

Stephen Guthrie

Growing Small Business

Rochester, NY

I have been working at EnerPath full-time

ProsAbility to influence change and opportunity for growth. Flexibility for sales reps and ability to set own earning level. Software development edge is impressive and company is growing and adding new programs nationally.

ConsLow base salaries in sales; if you aren't performing, you aren't earning. Lacks the structure of a larger corporation.

Mindless

I have been working at EnerPath

ProsIf you like to talk a lot and smoke all day, this is the place to do it!

ConsFinance management staff are bi-polar. Say one thing and mean another.

Just another non-management review

Redlands, CA

I have been working at EnerPath full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI am really struggling to think of something. Your next job, whatever it is will seem like a huge promotion.

ConsBorderline fraud being committed against employees, customers and utilities. I am sure technically it is legal but really dishonest way of doing business. Many former Enron managers. Enron attitude is ingrained in the culture, literally caught the president saying he was "the smartest man in the room".

Advice to Senior ManagementWork cooperatively between departments, admit failures, allow honest input

Could be a great place to work

Rochester, NY

I worked at EnerPath full-time for more than a year

ProsMostly hands-off management. Some very talented people. Good industry to be involved in.

ConsProducts are not thoroughly evaluated before released to be sold. Sometimes incorrect information about products delivered to sales force, creating huge issues after installation at customers. Sales people left to deal with problem. Low pay overall. Terrible, even non-existant expense reimbursement. No paid mileage yet expected to "drive anywhere". Expected to work weekends with little notice and no extra pay. Management does not have a grip on what is really happening "on the street". They don't listen to those who are out there. Management makes decisions based upon what they think is the correct way (theory) instead of what is real. Attitude is "we are much smarter than you are". Profit is more important than customer satisfaction and the sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide products that meets customer's needs, not what makes the most profit. Pay the money to get and keep good people instead of hiring people on a revolving door policy just to have feet on the street.

So far it was the worst work experience I have had

Energy Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at EnerPath full-time for less than a year

ProsFun going business to business and meeting with people most of the time, independent schedule, ability to work from home, most people I worked with were really nice

ConsMismanagement, incompetence, no structure, poor support, company does a lot of shady things (not sure if this is just because of mismanagement and incompetence or on purpose for profit or both), and nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some structure and some talented human capital

Not up-to-date on California "exempt employee" classification and was not paid accordingly.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Redlands, CA

I have been working at EnerPath full-time for less than a year

ProsPleasant and friendly working environment.

ConsNo room to grow with company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure hiring personnel/department is up to date on all California Labor Laws.

Excellent Company, Supportive Executive Team, Family Environment

Rochester, NY

I have been working at EnerPath full-time for more than a year

ProsEnerPath is a family owned business and that is felt throughout, in a good way.
The environment is enjoyable and supportive. For those with the initiative, there are many opportunities to prove your abilities and increase your role. It's a small company where everyone interacts, but has a big company benefits package.
Employees are given a lot of trust and opportunities to work independently.
Employees are fairly compensated and sales reps have good commission and bonus opportunities. This is the only company I've been with where decisions can be turned around quickly without unnecessarily long approval processes. Employees are recognized from the top down for their efforts, and quite often directly from the CEO.
If someone is used to being told what to do every minute of the day, this is not the right environment for them. Employees are trusted to do their work and to take initiative to seek help if they need it, but are not micro-managed by executive management.This management style is definitely a positive for most, but employees who lack the ability to work independently may have difficulty.

ConsThere are no cons at the position

The only morale booster here is the shared mysery with your co-workers.

I worked at EnerPath full-time

ProsIf you're in the field, you can make your own schedule. Gratuitous bonus oppurtunities for sales staff outweighing your need for commission and therefore, accuracy.

ConsEverything else. Office staff underpaid and rarely promoted, though work load constantly changing. Uneducated and underqualified management company wide. Employees treated as if they're working for a large company without ever seeing any of the benefits of such (if you have a pulse you're hired). All of the cons of a small company, yet none of the pros.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff like humans. Don't hold unrealistic sales expectations. Stop throwing money at problems, PLAN solutions more than a day into the future.

Deplorable place to work for. Pay is terrible, Management is incompetent.

I have been working at EnerPath

ProsNot as micro managed as some sales jobs

ConsPay sucks, gas mileage doesnt cover gas, management is incompetent. Turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that know how to manage which would include managerial experience and people skills.

They wont tell you this is really temp employment

I worked at EnerPath

ProsA good amount of freedom, flexible hours, decent base pay, nice Regus office.

ConsEverything else!
Inept managers, no communication, poor education on products and services, inadequate vehicle allowance, constant changes in protocol, poor employee moral, mass layoffs.

They take on a project and hire 35 people, complete the project and layoff 35 people. They are a gypsy business, one day you will wake up and they are gone!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication, better training and be upfront.

Worked for EnerPath? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnerPath reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EnerPath CEO Stephen Guthrie. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by EnerPath employees.